Author Topic: Black film critics predict end of #OscarsSoWhite, say 2016 is best year ever for  (Read 1211 times)

Offline imchills

• Assistant
    • View Profile
The African American Film Critics Assn. released a statement Monday naming 2016 the best year ever for black people in cinema. The national organization also predicted an end, albeit potentially temporary, to #OscarsSoWhite.

“The studios and major film distributors really gave it to us this year,” said Gil Robertson, AAFCA’s co-founder and president. “By any measurement, it’s been an exceptional year for blacks in film. From comedies to high-quality dramas and documentaries, 2016 will forever represent a bonanza year for black cinema, and all cinema really.”

Black films in 2016 have ran the gamut from comedies and romantic thrillers to dramas and documentaries. On the comedy front, Ice Cube, Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson anchored box office successes “Ride Along 2,” “Barbershop: The Next Cut” and “Central Intelligence.” Additionally, “Tyler Perry’s Boo! A Madea Halloween” became a surprise hit. This year also saw the solidifying of the black romantic thriller as a bona-fide sub genre with “When the Bough Breaks.”

As for dramas, the forthcoming “Fences,” starring Denzel Washington and Viola Davis, and “Hidden Figures,” with Taraji P. Henson, Janelle Monae and Octavia Spencer, join “Loving” and “Moonlight” as serious awards season contenders — each almost guaranteeing nominations for at least one of its stars.

Read more at http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-aafca-oscarssowhite-end-20161127-story.html

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Friday, 1oth January, 2020
Cynthia Erivo Responds to All-White BAFTA Acting Nominees: ‘It’s Time for Change’
by Will Thorne

Cynthia Erivo has responded to the recent BAFTA nominations, which yielded entirely white nominees in all the major acting categories.

At the red carpet premiere for her new HBO show “The Outsider,” Erivo started off by saying how disappointed she was by the lack of diversity in the BAFTA noms, which snubbed her for her performance in the critically acclaimed feature “Harriet.”

“It’s disappointing to see that we’ve got to this point in time and we’ve had such wonderful advancement in inclusion and diversity, and the films this year were beautiful, such wonderful stories told, and to not have that represented in an awards show like the BAFTAs is just disappointing really,” Erivo said.

After the noms were released, Variety reported exclusively that Erivo had been asked to perform at the show by the British Academy, even after she didn’t receive a nomination.

Erivo turned down the offer.

“The reason I didn’t perform is because I don’t think it’s proper representation, as a woman of color, of people of color in this industry,” she said.

Earlier today, BAFTA announced they were launching a “careful and detailed review” of the voting process, but Erivo isn’t certain as to what positive results that review might yield.

“Let’s see how (the review) does, whether it affects next year or the year after who knows, but I definitely think it’s time for change, we can’t overlook it any more,” she said.

Turning her attention to her character in “The Outsider,” Erivo described the very specific vision she had for her character, Holly, going into the shoot.

The limited series (an adaptation of the Stephen King novel) stars Erivo as an unconventional investigator who helps out Ben Mendelsohn’s detective in a murder case in which Jason Bateman’s character is the main suspect.

Holly encourages Ralph (Mendelsohn) to

“believe the unbelievable.”

“There’s such specificity in the way that she thinks and she speaks, and I think it was written in already, and I really wanted to live in her,” Erivo said.

“I know I wanted her to have long braids, it felt beautiful, I knew I wanted her to have a button up collar and chinos and boots because I wanted her to feel normal in her uniform, compared with the fact that she isn’t uniform in her thinking. She’s so far to the left in the way she thinks, I wanted her to be centered when you saw her.”

Many of the other cast members present at the red carpet praised director and star Jason Bateman, who several characterized as the driving force behind the project.

When asked to compare “The Outsider” to the myriad other Stephen King adaptations, Bateman said Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining” was a significant touchstone for him in directing the series.

“I was trying for ‘Shining’ in that there’s a certain kind of horror that exists in some of Stephen King’s books and there’s a certain kind of dread in others.

This aligned better with the dread, the impending doom of the ‘The Shining,’ the moody, atmospheric kind of stuff,” Bateman said.

“I’m a huge Kubrick fan composition-wise and in terms of lightning, he was a huge inspiration for me.”

Mendelsohn himself was unavailable to attend due to illness.

However, much of the show’s cast attended, including Paddy Considine, Julianne Nicholson, Yul Vazquez, Jeremy Bobb, Marc Menchaca, Max Beesley, and Derek Cecil.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/cynthia-erivo-responds-to-all-white-bafta-acting-nominees-its-time-for-change/ar-BBYOeqm?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Monday, 13th January 2020

Happen to catch the livestream of the 2020 Oscars on YouTube earlier this morning.  The two presenters,  John Cho & Issa Rae announced the following nominees. Wasn't able to take note of all the nominees mentioned, however, was impressed by the fantastic graphic design elements from Star Trek: DISCO in their presentation.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Wednesday, 15th January 2020
Cynthia Erivo responds to Stephen King's tweets about diversity
by Sydney Bucksbaum

After Stephen King took to Twitter to share his thoughts on how he “would never consider diversity in matters of art” in regards to the lack of diversity in 2020 Oscar nominations, Cynthia Erivo has responded with how the industry can do better.

Speaking at the 2020 Television Critics Assn. press tour on Wednesday, Erivo, who is starring in HBO’s adaptation of King’s The Outsider, was asked for her take on King’s tweets the day before which received immediate backlash.

“I can’t solve how you balance diversity with quality of work,” Erivo told the room of reporters via satellite from Tokyo.

“I’d like to think I’m part of the world of diversity. Hopefully, more works get seen by people who are making good work. I feel like this year we had a flurry of beautiful pieces by people who are of diverse nature, black women, women in general, and I think you’re seeing more of it on TV, HBO in general.”

The Oscar-nominated star of Harriet went on to acknowledge Regina King’s “incredible” recent work on Watchmen, another HBO miniseries.

“I think now we just have to open the doors and open our eyes to those people who are making the work,” Erivo says.

“I am one of the players. So if there is room for me to play then that’s what I’m going to do. If I can create more room for others, then that’s also what I’m going to do.”

However, Erivo stresses that it’s up to those who have the power and platform to make real change.

“But if it’s also up to those people who are used to doing things a certain way to shake up their ideas, change the way they think, change the way they cast, change the way they line up their producers and directors and writers and make sure that the room reflects the world we live in, that’s how I think we lean in to diversity a little more,” she adds.

On Tuesday, King sent a series of tweets about his take on diversity in Hollywood.

After receiving backlash from notable figures such as Ava DuVernay and Dr. Roxane Gay among many others, a few hours later King seemed to backtrack on his comments in a series of new tweets.

The Outsider is executive produced and written by Richard Price (The Wire, The Night Of) and premieres with the first two hourlong installments on HBO back-to-back on Sunday, January 12 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/cynthia-erivo-responds-to-stephen-kings-tweets-about-diversity-we-just-have-to-open-the-doors/ar-BBYZwjQ?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spike-lee-pays-tribute-kobe-bryant-gucci-suit-at-oscars-1277896

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-2020-opening-a-host-watch-1278057

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/oscar-winners-2020-updating-live-full-list-1275973/item/motion-picture-1275975

http://variety.com/2020/film/news/2020-oscars-winners-list-academy-awards-1203497983/

http://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pitt-1917-anticipate-sundays-oscars-230530796.html

Here’s the full list of 2020 Oscar winners:

Best Picture:

“Ford v Ferrari” — Walt Disney
“The Irishman” — Netflix
“Jojo Rabbit” — Fox Searchlight
“Joker” — Warner Bros.
“Little Women” — Sony Pictures Releasing
“Marriage Story” — Netflix
“1917” — Universal/Amblin Partners
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” — Sony Pictures Releasing
“Parasite” — Neon (WINNER)

Lead Actress:

Cynthia Erivo, “Harriet” — Focus Features
Scarlett Johansson, “Marriage Story” — Netflix
Saoirse Ronan, “Little Women” — Sony Pictures Releasing
Charlize Theron, “Bombshell” — Lionsgate
Renee Zellweger, “Judy” — LD Entertainment and Roadside Attractions (WINNER)

Lead Actor:

Antonio Banderas, “Pain and Glory” — Sony Pictures Classics
Leonardo DiCaprio, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” — Sony Pictures Releasing
Adam Driver, “Marriage Story” — Netflix
Joaquin Phoenix, “Joker” — Warner Bros. (WINNER)
Jonathan Pryce, “The Two Popes” — Netflix

Director:

Martin Scorsese, “The Irishman” — Netflix
Todd Phillips, “Joker” — Warner Bros.
Sam Mendes, “1917” — Universal/Amblin Partners
Quentin Tarantino, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” — Sony Pictures Releasing
Bong Joon Ho, “Parasite” — Neon (WINNER)

Original Song:

“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away,” “Toy Story 4” — Walt Disney
“I’m Gonna Love Me Again,” “Rocketman” — Paramount (WINNER)
“I’m Standing With You,” “Breakthrough” — Walt Disney
“Into the Unknown,” “Frozen 2” — Walt Disney
“Stand Up,” “Harriet” — Focus Features

Original Score:

“Joker,” Hildur Guðnadóttir — Warner Bros. (WINNER)
“Little Women,” Alexandre Desplat — Sony Pictures Releasing
“Marriage Story,” Randy Newman — Netflix
“1917,” Thomas Newman — Universal/Amblin Partners
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” John Williams — Walt Disney

Best International Feature Film:

“Corpus Christi,” Jan Komasa — An Aurum Film Production
“Honeyland,” Tamara Kotevska, Ljubo Stefanov — A Pharmachem/Apolo Media/Trice Films Production
“Les Miserables,” Ladj Ly — An SRAB Films Production
“Pain and Glory,” Pedro Almodovar — An El Primer Deseo/El Deseo Production
“Parasite,” Bong Joon Ho — A Barunson E&A Production (WINNER)

Makeup and Hair:

“Bombshell” — Lionsgate (WINNER)
“Joker” — Warner Bros.
“Judy” — LD Entertainment and Roadside Attractions
“Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” — Walt Disney
“1917” — Universal/Amblin Partners

Visual Effects:

“Avengers Endgame” — Walt Disney
“The Irishman” — Netflix
“The Lion King” — Walt Disney
“1917” — Universal/Amblin Partners (WINNER)
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” — Walt Disney

Film Editing:

“Ford v Ferrari,” Michael McCusker, Andrew Buckland — Walt Disney (WINNER)
“The Irishman,” Thelma Schoonmaker — Netflix
“Jojo Rabbit,” Tom Eagles — Fox Searchlight
“Joker,” Jeff Groth — Warner Bros.
“Parasite,” Jinmo Yang — Neon

Cinematography:

“The Irishman,” Rodrigo Prieto — Netflix
“Joker,” Lawrence Sher — Warner Bros.
“The Lighthouse,” Jarin Blaschke — A24
“1917,” Roger Deakins — Universal/Amblin Partners (WINNER)
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Robert Richardson — Sony Pictures Releasing

Sound Mixing:
“Ad Astra” — Walt Disney
“Ford v Ferrari” — Walt Disney
“Joker” — Warner Bros.
“1917” — Universal/Amblin Partners (WINNER)
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” — Sony Pictures Releasing

Sound Editing:

“Ford v Ferrari,” Don Sylvester — Walt Disney (WINNER)
“Joker,” Alan Robert Murray — Warner Bros.
“1917,” Oliver Tarney, Rachel Tate — Universal/Amblin Partners
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Wylie Stateman — Sony Pictures Releasing
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” Matthew Wood, David Acord — Walt Disney

Supporting Actress:

Kathy Bates, “Richard Jewell” — Warner Bros.
Laura Dern, “Marriage Story” — Netflix (WINNER)
Scarlett Johansson, “Jojo Rabbit” — Fox Searchlight
Florence Pugh, “Little Women” — Sony Pictures Releasing
Margot Robbie, “Bombshell” — Lionsgate

Best Documentary Short Subject:

“In the Absence,” Yi Seung-Jun and Gary Byung-Seok Kam — A Field of Vision Production
“Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone,” Carol Dysinger — A+E Networks (WINNER)
“Life Overtakes Me,” Kristine Samuelson and John Haptas — Netflix
“St. Louis Superman,” Smriti Mundhra and Sami Khan — MTV Documentary Films/AJE Witness
“Walk Run Cha-Cha,” Laura Nix — The New York Times Op-Docs

Best Documentary Feature:

“American Factory,” Julia Reichert, Steven Bognar — Netflix (WINNER)
“The Cave,” Feras Fayyad — National Geographic
“The Edge of Democracy,” Petra Costa — Netflix
“For Sama,” Waad Al-Kateab, Edward Watts — PBS Distribution/Channel 4/Frontline
“Honeyland,” Tamara Kotevska, Ljubo Stefanov — Neon

Costume Design:

”The Irishman,” Sandy Powell, Christopher Peterson — Netflix
“Jojo Rabbit,” Mayes C. Rubeo — Fox Searchlight
“Joker,” Mark Bridges — Warner Bros.
“Little Women,” Jacqueline Durran — Sony Pictures Releasing (WINNER)
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Arianne Phillips — Sony Pictures Releasing

Production Design:

“The Irishman,” Bob Shaw and Regina Graves — Netflix
“Jojo Rabbit,” Ra Vincent and Nora Sopkova — Fox Searchlight
“1917,” Dennis Gassner and Lee Sandales — Universal/Amblin Partners
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Barbara Ling and Nancy Haigh — Sony Pictures Releasing (WINNER)
“Parasite,” Lee Ha-Jun and Cho Won Woo, Han Ga Ram, and Cho Hee — Neon

Best Live Action Short Film:

“Brotherhood,” Meryam Joobeur — Travelling, les films qui voyagent
“Nefta Football Club,” Yves Piat — A Les Valseurs Production
“The Neighbors’ Window,” Marshall Curry — A Marshall Curry Production (WINNER)
“Saria,” Bryan Buckley — A Hungry Man Inc. Production
“A Sister,” Delphine Girard — A Versus Production

Adapted Screenplay:

“The Irishman,” Steven Zaillian — Netflix
“Jojo Rabbit,” Taika Waititi — Fox Searchlight (WINNER)
“Joker,” Todd Phillips, Scott Silver — Warner Bros.
“Little Women,” Greta Gerwig — Sony Pictures Releasing
“The Two Popes,” Anthony McCarten — Netflix

Original Screenplay:

“Knives Out,” Rian Johnson — Lionsgate
“Marriage Story,” Noah Baumbach — Netflix
“1917,” Sam Mendes and Krysty Wilson-Cairns — Universal/Amblin Partners
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Quentin Tarantino — Sony Pictures Releasing
“Parasite,” Bong Joon Ho, Jin Won Han — Neon (WINNER)

Animated Short:

“Dcera,” Daria Kashcheeva — Miyu Distribution
“Hair Love,” Matthew A. Cherry — Sony Pictures Releasing (WINNER)
“Kitbull,” Rosana Sullivan — Walt Disney
“Memorable,” Bruno Collet — A Vivement Lundi ! Production
“Sister,” Siqi Song — A California Institute of the Arts Production

Animated Feature:

“How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World,” Dean DeBlois — Universal
“I Lost My Body,” Jeremy Clapin — Netflix
“Klaus,” Sergio Pablos — Netflix
“Missing Link,” Chris Butler — United Artists Releasing
“Toy Story 4,”  Josh Cooley — Walt Disney (WINNER)

Supporting Actor:

Tom Hanks, “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” — Sony Pictures Releasing
Anthony Hopkins, “The Two Popes” — Netflix
Al Pacino, “The Irishman” — Netflix
Joe Pesci, “The Irishman” — Netflix
Brad Pitt, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” — Sony Pictures Releasing (WINNER)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:07:46 pm by Emperorjones »