• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 05:11:16 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Shazam
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 08:05:05 am »
I saw this film last week, but hadn't sat down to do a review. I enjoyed it, more than Captain Marvel and Venom, to compare it to recent origin films. While watching it, the tone and feel of it put me in the mind of the first Ant-Man film and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I had doubts going into this film. It's taken me a while to come around to Zachary Levi, because I was never a fan of his show Chuck and he seemed annoying. However, I liked his character on Heroes Reborn, so I was iffy on him being Shazam (I wanted John Cena to get that role). Now that I've seen the film, Levi was probably the best aspect of it. I thought he did a very good job playing Shazam. I don't think the film got his adult feeling like a natural progression of Billy Batson though,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
who was more of a street smart kid whereas Shazam was more wide-eyed, though there were scenes, when Shazam was out to use his powers to make money or when he tells Mary that she's better off alone,
where the Billy Batson persona comes through.

The Shazam suit is ridiculous, but I knew that going in and it didn't bother me that much because I thought Levi gave a winning performance. I also thought the kid playing Freddie Freeman, who becomes Shazam's mentor was good as well.
And I liked that there was a little selfish motive behind his helping Shazam. This film wasn't afraid to present some emotional complexity even with the young characters.
Mark Strong was fine as Sivana, though Strong can play these kind of roles in his sleep. He was good, but not earth shattering. He did what he needed to do. And we got a good sense of his motivations,
if not his ultimate goals
, and I think that was fine. The supporting cast I generally didn't have a problem with. The standout among the supporting cast, besides Freeman and Sivana, was Darla (played by Faithe Herman), Billy and Freddie's adopted sister. This is the biggest role for a black character in the film and I thought she did a good job. Djimon Hounsou plays the wizard Shazam in the film, though his role isn't that big. Hounsou did a good job with what little he had to work with. I liked him better in this role than in Aquaman and Captain Marvel, though he did get to show a humorous side to Korath in that film so that was a plus.

I saw someone on You Tube describe Shazam as a dark family film and I would not recommend it for very young kids. Teens I think can go see it, but very young children, there are some scenes in it that I think might scare them. So, the tone for the film might be off, where it might come across as too goofy and childlike for adults and older teens, but at times too dark for younger children. Some of that might be because the director is known for horror (Lights Out and Annabelle: Creation) and he does bring some of those sensibilities to Shazam.
I missed it but apparently Annabelle has a cameo in the film, just like she did in Aquaman, which I did catch when I saw it the second time.
While the film does have humor-I felt it was hit or miss-and one scene with a black man on the subway was bordering on stereotypical-it wasn't a joke-a-thon. The film at times got serious. The action scenes were also hit-or-miss. Shazam was a smaller film in scope than all the other DCEU films thus far, and that helped it in terms of keeping the focus on character and story, but the film lacked some color and spectacle, though compared to the other DCEU films, with the exception of Aquaman and sometimes Wonder Woman and Justice League, Shazam was as colorful as a box of crayons.

My favorite scenes in the film were when Billy finally meets his biological mother and learns that she didn't lose him at the carnival, but that she left him there because she was a teen mother who felt she couldn't deal with raising a child. That was harsh and not something I was expecting in a comic book film, and especially one that was geared toward kids. I also liked when Freddie tried to use his friendship with Shazam to score points with the other kids at school. And when Sivana admits that he's not pure-of-heart, and that he just wants the power. And my biggest was when the Marvel Family (I guess they would be the Shazam Family now) shows up. I was expecting that would be an end credit scene or maybe would be saved for a sequel, but to see the adult versions of Billy's adopted family all in costume was great. And it was extra great to see Meagan Good as the adult Darla. She was a stand out in her scenes. I never thought I would see Meagan Good in a superhero film and it was a very good casting choice. Good has been underrated and overlooked far too much in her career. Even though it was weird, I liked the scene that showed different universes, which teases the DC multiverse, or at least Shazam's corner of it. And once I learned who Mister Mind was-who is in the end credit scene-I liked that they included him.

For things I thought could've been better done: I thought the film should've been goofier, but it had to strike a balance between the darker DCEU which it is a part of and the generally lighter tone of the premise. But overall, it wasn't a bad film. It's one of the best DCEU films so far from a character, writing, and storytelling perspective, though it lacks the big action of many of the others. I think the bullying that leads to Batson getting his powers felt contrived and not realistic, like they just wanted to move the story along to get him to where he needed to meet the wizard Shazam. I also thought the soundtrack could've been better and more up-to-date.
Don't get my wrong, I loved hearing Naughty By Nature's "Feel Me Flow",
but looking at Suicide Squad's good soundtrack, Black Panther, and then Into the Spider-Verse's music, I do think Shazam should've had more music that teenagers listen to today, with a throwback here and there for the old folks in the audience. I also would've toned down Shazam's padded suit.
With the Marvel Family, I don't think all of their powers were as well defined as I would've liked. Some of this could've been an issue with the budget. Darla had super speed so it was easy to demonstrate her powers I suppose. Mary Marvel I wasn't sure what her powers were supposed to be at all. Another issue I had was they didn't really name him in the film. They used a joke name or two, and Billy and later the Marvel Family says the word/name "Shazam", but I feel DC needed to give him another name than Shazam. If someone asks him what his name is, is he going to answer 'Shazam' and revert back to being Billy? This is something DC should've come up with a long time ago, after Marvel got the trademark for the "Captain Marvel" name.

I think the film is worth checking out. There are two end credit scenes. The first is more important, and the second is more for laughs.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:39:44 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Shazam
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 07:10:43 am »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile