Author Topic: Storm  (Read 320312 times)

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Storm
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 08:35:41 am »
Those were pretty great I like seeing Storm's abilities show beyond wind and rain and lighting.

Offline HandOfFate

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 09:12:16 am »
what about her speed(3) and power level(5). I thought she was at least a 4 in speed and 6 in power.

It's actually kind of accurate

Speed (3)  means that her speed max out around 700mph (which would be accurate seeing that we don't get wind that can break the sound barrier of 770mph)

Energy Projection (5) means that she can control a single energy type (electromagnetic energy) form a distance and for a long duration.

IIRC, she got a 6 in Mental Abilities, which put her on the same level of Jean Grey and Prof X as a Master Psi.

Offline jominick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 10:49:05 am »
Where do you go to find out the meaning of these numbers

Offline HandOfFate

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 01:02:51 pm »
Where do you go to find out the meaning of these numbers

In the back of all the new The Offical Handbooks of the Marvel Universe.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 05:53:48 pm »
what about her speed(3) and power level(5). I thought she was at least a 4 in speed and 6 in power.

It's actually kind of accurate

Speed (3)  means that her speed max out around 700mph (which would be accurate seeing that we don't get wind that can break the sound barrier of 770mph)

Energy Projection (5) means that she can control a single energy type (electromagnetic energy) form a distance and for a long duration.

IIRC, she got a 6 in Mental Abilities, which put her on the same level of Jean Grey and Prof X as a Master Psi.

Storm has flown much faster than 700 mph. Storm can generate much stronger winds than any real life hurricane or tornado. She can reach anywhere on the planet to grab resources to power her winds and storms and thus create the worst case scenerio. This is a lady who can generate pressure fields strong enough to bash through mountains, fields of pressure greater than the surface of Jupiter and pressure fields low enough to suffocate people, flames or even create an absolute vacuum. The greater the difference in pressure, the faster the wind. To drive those winds, she also needs to have heat. Well, she can grab heat and moisture from all over the globe easily in VAST quantities and concentrate it into a single storm or wind or what-have-you. Hence, she has flown thousands of miles in a matter of minutes, redirected Sienna Blaze's full power, smashed MAgneto's force-field and tax his powers with her winds alone, lift skyscrapers, etc.

Also, there is no way her energy projection should only be 5. There MUCH more powerful than most of the other characters who are a 5.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 05:56:46 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 09:52:06 pm »
Storm has flown much faster than 700 mph. Storm can generate much stronger winds than any real life hurricane or tornado. She can reach anywhere on the planet to grab resources to power her winds and storms and thus create the worst case scenerio. This is a lady who can generate pressure fields strong enough to bash through mountains, fields of pressure greater than the surface of Jupiter and pressure fields low enough to suffocate people, flames or even create an absolute vacuum. The greater the difference in pressure, the faster the wind. To drive those winds, she also needs to have heat. Well, she can grab heat and moisture from all over the globe easily in VAST quantities and concentrate it into a single storm or wind or what-have-you. Hence, she has flown thousands of miles in a matter of minutes, redirected Sienna Blaze's full power, smashed MAgneto's force-field and tax his powers with her winds alone, lift skyscrapers, etc.

Also, there is no way her energy projection should only be 5. There MUCH more powerful than most of the other characters who are a 5.

wow that's called knowing your canon

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 09:28:21 am »
One glaring error in that Handbook entry is they say that Storm has limited resistance to temperature. This is not true. Lobdell did a story, Unlimited issue 1, that tried to establish this. It had been long established that Storm was immune to temperature and climate. In the Lobdell story, X-Men Unlimited issue 1, Storm flew into a blizzard and fried her system. The issue stated that the colder it gets, the warmer her body gets and vice versa. In Uncanny 120 (and issues earlier) it states that Ororo does not feel warm or cold. In another issue, it states that she is immune to climate and temperature extremes. In Uncanny 121, she flew so high in the atmopshere where the air so was cold and thin that a normal human would perish in seconds. She remained there with no problems and channeled a continent-sized blizzard through her body to the top of the atmosphere.

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline jominick

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 12:49:27 pm »
Do not forget "inferno" when her and Iceman went Absolute zero on that building.

I am guessing they use the term "limited Resistance" for those writers who forget that she is immune to extreme temperature change.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 01:57:16 pm »
One glaring error in that Handbook entry is they say that Storm has limited resistance to temperature. This is not true. Lobdell did a story, Unlimited issue 1, that tried to establish this. It had been long established that Storm was immune to temperature and climate. In the Lobdell story, X-Men Unlimited issue 1, Storm flew into a blizzard and fried her system. The issue stated that the colder it gets, the warmer her body gets and vice versa. In Uncanny 120 (and issues earlier) it states that Ororo does not feel warm or cold. In another issue, it states that she is immune to climate and temperature extremes. In Uncanny 121, she flew so high in the atmopshere where the air so was cold and thin that a normal human would perish in seconds. She remained there with no problems and channeled a continent-sized blizzard through her body to the top of the atmosphere.

You know where that might have come from?  Contest of Champions 2.  Clarmont put her in battle against the Human Torch and there was no indication in the battle that she was immune to his flames, which being immune to temperature, would imply.  In fact, Human Torch was quite confidient that he could kill her with a nova blast of heat/fire but was unwilling to kill to win.  (Of course that was just his persepective.) 

And if you think about it, when she fights Pyro and things, she uses wind and water to take him down, but there doesn't seem to be an indication that she could just walk thru his fire.  Though we've seen her fly through and burst his constructs before, I believe.  Maybe that's what this is talking about.

Offline HandOfFate

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 06:11:37 pm »
Storm has flown much faster than 700 mph.

No she hasn't. She has never broke the sound barrier. While she has flown reallllly fast, it has never been said/wrote that she flown pass the speed of sound (770mph). Now there have been a number of scans showing her flying at incredible speeds but none of them say she flying at Mach speeds.

This is a lady who can generate pressure fields strong enough to bash through mountains, fields of pressure greater than the surface of Jupiter and pressure fields low enough to suffocate people, flames or even create an absolute vacuum.

Okay, she never done that last one to my knowledge.

The greater the difference in pressure, the faster the wind. To drive those winds, she also needs to have heat. Well, she can grab heat and moisture from all over the globe easily in VAST quantities and concentrate it into a single storm or wind or what-have-you.

You're kind of limiting Storm control over her elements, she doesn't need to pull heat and moisture from other locations, when she can manipulate the weather system around her to get what she needs.

Hence, she has flown thousands of miles in a matter of minutes,

Again, never been said in comic.

redirected Sienna Blaze's full power

I don't think it was a full blast and she didn't redirected the blast by herself. The other time Storm used her winds to keep them ahead of Sienna's teleportion backlash.

smashed MAgneto's force-field

I don't remember the issue saiding anytihng about her smashing his force field.

It's a 5 because she only controls one type of energy.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 06:36:20 pm by HandOfFate »

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 09:56:59 pm »
Okay, let me address this in order:

In regards to the flight speed, she has been able to fly from Austrailia to the Savage Land in Antarctica in no time flat. In "Schism", she flew from New Orleans to New York in a matter of minutes.

In regards to the absolute vacuum, you are right. She created a partial vacuum. I got an instance in canon confused with an x-novel I read. In an X-Men novel written by Eluki bes Shahar, she created an absolute vacuum.

I am not limiting Storm's powers with that comment. Of course she can simply manipulate the resources around her and she has done some MASSIVELY power things that way, but she can be even more powerful with what I stated and its well within her ability.

As far as the Sienna Blaze thing, it was most certainly her full power. Sienna wanted to blast Xavier, Cyclops and Storm. Xavier telepathically did not allow her body to release the blast, so it built up way past critical and every iota of energy exploded from her body. Xavier's ploy was to do this to force her to temporarily burn herself out. Storm redirected the blast with an electrically charged wind tunnel all by herself. Cyclops blasted at the wind tunnel just in case some of the energy got away from it to protect the trio. Storm singlehandedly redirected the blast.  Afterwards, Sienna Blaze could barely speak or stand and was burned out so she just teleported away which resorted in a vacuum which used her winds to keep herself, Xavier and Cyclops ahead of the suction.

She smashed his force-field. He had it up and her tornado smashed it down. He also commented on how it was a strain to keep himself anchored against those winds. We know that the force-field was down since her tornado was sucking the air from him. Magneto's force-fields holds air against a vacuum hence he can travel through space. Therefore, her winds had to knock it down.

Storm controls more than one type of energy. First off, to control the weather, she has to be able to control the EM fields of the planet (and she has accomplished this feat on a much larger scale than Magneto ever has when he does not have a machine to boost his powers. She has also controlled his energies), moisture, temperature, pressure gradients, etc. Her powers is the ability to perceive the universe as patterns of energy and forces and bend it to her will. Hence, she can control the natural forces that governs the universe thus she's truly "Mistress of the Elements." In "Storm: The Arena," she battled a character called Silk Worm who has the ability to bound her enemies in silk-like webbing. Storm was able to control the energy that composed it and turn back upon her.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:23:32 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 10:40:59 am »

You know where that might have come from?  Contest of Champions 2.  Clarmont put her in battle against the Human Torch and there was no indication in the battle that she was immune to his flames, which being immune to temperature, would imply.  In fact, Human Torch was quite confidient that he could kill her with a nova blast of heat/fire but was unwilling to kill to win.  (Of course that was just his persepective.) 

And if you think about it, when she fights Pyro and things, she uses wind and water to take him down, but there doesn't seem to be an indication that she could just walk thru his fire.  Though we've seen her fly through and burst his constructs before, I believe.  Maybe that's what this is talking about.

I forgot about that with Pyro, the first time they fought, she flew through and dispersed one of his fire giants. I forget the issue number, but I remember.

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 04:53:46 pm »
Storm flew thru one of Pyro's fire monsters in UXM #141-#142...."Days of Future Past".

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 05:30:33 pm »
Another thing to consider is that a single bolt of lightning is 5 times hotter than the surface of the sun. Imagine the temrerature off all of the electrical power of an entire storm placed in one spot! In real life, when people get struck by lightning, most of the energy goes around them. However, Storm has control over the lightning itself. Therefore, she has been able to literally incinerate other characters with her lightning. Here, she absorbs the full electrical power of an entire storm:

Storm absorbed this and channeled it to Polaris. Obviously, she filtered it through her body and regulated it so Lorna could survive as Polaris would have no resistance to heat whatsoever. It still speaks volumes for Storm's immunity to temperature extremes. This lady can act as a battery and conduit for energy. Her body can be a battery to charge storms, she's channeled the energies of storm, EM energies, stars/solar winds, etc.

One thing I have always wondered is how is Magneto able to hurt Storm directly with his powers? I mean, there isn't any kind of energy he can control that she does not channel through her body all the time in MUCH greater quantities than he can produce at any given time (she's channeled continent-sized storms, MILLIONS of stars, etc). It does not hurt her at all. In order to control the weather, she has to be able to control a number of things: EM fields and electrical impulses, pressure gradients, moisture, heat/temperature, etc. (Hence, Magneto cannot control weather as he does not control moisture, pressure gradients, etc). When she plays with the weather, she is playing with all of these forces. She's been able to control the ecosystemon a scale far greater than Magneto ever has without any outside force or circumstances boosting his influence.  I mean, Magneto can still use metal in the area against her, but that really should not be enough to overcome her powers. Between her control over wind and pressure (pressure dome, anyone?) she should be able to deflect any piece of metal he throws at her.  (In fact, Storm and Magneto have fought only 3 times. The first time, Magneto won because she was a novice. The next two times, Magneto only won because she held back. He even said so.) However, during the Lobdell/Kelly/Seagle era where Ororo was written down, he managed to grab the iron in her blood. (Of course, she was not fighting him at that time. He did it while she was trying to talk to him.) He really should not be able to pull something like that on this character. Her body should be able to compensate for any energy he throws at her directly and throw it back at him. At the same time, its been shown that he can compensate for her hand bolts, but we have not seen this for raw lightning from the sky.
I remember in a Morrison issue of New X-Men where Storm guest-starred, all of the X-Men had to wear some kind of protective clothing before entering an area high in radiation save Storm and Thunderbird. Those two were immune to radiation.

If you want a good villain for Wakanda, get Sienna Blaze! That lady has more than enough power in a single blast to destroy the entire country. Of course, she would most likely have to be under the leadership of some ambitious leader bad guy as she is not the type to come up with masterful plans at all on her own. lol. Well, just my two cents!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:42:40 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 07:01:24 pm »
Yes, Im a geek and I play the pen and paper Classic Marvel Superheroes with friends regularly.  You create a hero and play in the MU.  According to the books and revised internet editions, Storm has these abilities.  The game stopped being published once TSR after it was bought out by WotC.  This is my breakdown and hopefully it helps...The stats below are from the book but I've tweeked her here and there (not shown) for when she shows up in the PnP game.

Storm

Below is her physical and mental prowess in the pen and paper game, it will show the ability, rank and the comparitive hero or villian to canassociate him or her with.

Fighting  -  Remarkable  -  Spider-Man / She-Hulk
Agility  -  Remarkable  -  Harkeye / Iron-Man
Strength  -  Typical  -  Doctor Strange / Invisible Woman
Endurance  -  Amazing  -  She Hulk / Loki
Reason  -  Good  -  Captain America / Doctor Strange
Intuition  -  Remarkable  -  Cyclopse / Spider-Man
Psyche  -  Remarkable  -  Hulk / Mr Fantastic

Below shows the powers and in parenthesis () it will show what is comparitive according the the Classic Marvel Heroes pnp game.

Powers

Weather Control: Monstrous
Flight: Excellent, up to 5 passengers (300 mhp)
Protection from the weather: Amazing (looks like she can survive at-50 degrees)
Weather Prediction: Amazing (50 miles away from her)
Create fog: Amazing intensity & thickness (anyone short of Wolvie and Daredevil could sence or detect her)
Lightning Bolts: Monstrous (2 times more than a regular lightning bolt...dayum)
Create Amazing strength winds, cyclones etc. (little short of hurricane winds)
Reduce weather effects with Amazing abilities, faliure will mean effects will increase (bring a hurricane to a rainshower)

Talents

Leadership, Resist Domination, Lockpicking, Slieght of Hand, Escapology, Knives, Guns, Aerial Combat, Martial Arts A C, Multi-Lingual: Russian, English, Kenyan

As you can see some of the abilities may or may not be completely accuate since the game has not been revised for over 10 years but there is a huge following online...

Any comments on her powers or abiliies.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."