Author Topic: Storm  (Read 320302 times)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Storm
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 09:38:04 pm »
Yeah, those stats are way below her comic self. ;) I suspect this is the truth for most characters in that game.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 06:25:06 am »
Storm controls more than one type of energy. First off, to control the weather, she has to be able to control the EM fields of the planet (and she has accomplished this feat on a much larger scale than Magneto ever has when he does not have a machine to boost his powers. She has also controlled his energies), moisture, temperature, pressure gradients, etc. Her powers is the ability to perceive the universe as patterns of energy and forces and bend it to her will. Hence, she can control the natural forces that governs the universe thus she's truly "Mistress of the Elements." In "Storm: The Arena," she battled a character called Silk Worm who has the ability to bound her enemies in silk-like webbing. Storm was able to control the energy that composed it and turn back upon her.
That does sound like one type of energy, though. Electromagnetism is one of the basic forces of the universe, comprising everything from electricity to light and all points in between. To have control over even a limited part of this spectrum would be a significant power (look at Magneto), so I think that, while all of Storm's power can be explained by manipulation of the EM field, this needn't be any kind of limiting factor.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 08:40:02 am »
Storm controls more than one type of energy. First off, to control the weather, she has to be able to control the EM fields of the planet (and she has accomplished this feat on a much larger scale than Magneto ever has when he does not have a machine to boost his powers. She has also controlled his energies), moisture, temperature, pressure gradients, etc. Her powers is the ability to perceive the universe as patterns of energy and forces and bend it to her will. Hence, she can control the natural forces that governs the universe thus she's truly "Mistress of the Elements." In "Storm: The Arena," she battled a character called Silk Worm who has the ability to bound her enemies in silk-like webbing. Storm was able to control the energy that composed it and turn back upon her.
That does sound like one type of energy, though. Electromagnetism is one of the basic forces of the universe, comprising everything from electricity to light and all points in between. To have control over even a limited part of this spectrum would be a significant power (look at Magneto), so I think that, while all of Storm's power can be explained by manipulation of the EM field, this needn't be any kind of limiting factor.
Although I am reluctant to enter discussions on comic book physics, Wise Son is essentially right.  Let us make the distinction between energy and force as they are often confused colloquially.  Energy is the potential to do work; think of it as storage.  Force is moving something (technically, causing a body to accelerate).  I think we're primarily concerned what kind of force a character can project when evaluating powers.  Sure, they need access to some form of energy to generate force but as long as they do, the details of how that works are secondary.

Electromagnetism is a force resulting from the electromagnetic interaction, one of the four fundamental interactions.  The others are the strong and weak interactions and gravity.  The strong and weak interactions are limited to ranges on the order of atomic particles and while gravity's range is unlimited, its magnitude is much, much smaller than EM.  That is to say that EM is by far the dominant interaction in daily life.  Saying that Storm can "only" control EM is virtually no limitation at all.

For comic book powers, it seems to me that distinctions would arise from what kinds of energy / force manipulations they can perform.  The ability to manipulate EM fields arbitrarily with fine control would certainly be very powerful indeed.  I suspect that all characters who project some kind of force at a distance must manipulate EM fields in some manner.  An important question is what kind of controls do they have access to.  Think of it this way, if you've got a throttle, you have more control than if you just have an on/off switch (e.g. Cyclops).  Add a brake and a steering wheel and now you can drive around.  Add a rudder and elevators and now you can fly. 

So, I guess I'm saying that the number of different "kinds" of force a character can control seems a lot less pertinent to me than what they can actually do with their control.  Much as with martial arts, we ought to focus on the results they can achieve (fictionally speaking) rather than the pseudo-physics of how their powers work when evaluating those powers.  IMHO, of course.

Unless it's just fun to speculate.  Oh.  Nevermind...please disregard my little physics lecture.  I'm done now.  It's out of my system.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 01:42:38 am »
Unless it's just fun to speculate.  Oh.  Nevermind...please disregard my little physics lecture.  I'm done now.  It's out of my system.
Hey that was fun! IAWC!

And speculation can be fun as well: I was wondering about some of the technicalities of Cyclops' powers, like 'how come he doesn't blow those glasses off his face, or blow his own eyelids off when he blinks?' I concluded that Cyclops' eyes don't actually project force beams, rather they create an electromagnetic field that acts as a portal to the dimension he draws his energy from. Said field doesn't become a portal until it reaches several centimetres from his eyes, so the refractory properties of his glasses and visor prevent the portal from forming, with the visor obviously having an aperture that allows manipulation and control of the portal for different types of blasts.

*Sigh* Back in the day, that would've got me a no-prize. :'(

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 09:58:02 am »
*dapz his Wakandan brother*
Here's a BRO prize.
enjoy.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 10:03:35 am »
Wow!  The geekometer in this thread just went haywire!! LOL  You brothas are putting it down.  Hell, I was gonna say...Storm can channel lightning...just PATHETIC! :)  Keep kicking the knowledge, fellas.

Jenn

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 10:06:42 am »
Dammit, what the...don't be naming a thread "Storm" that I can't participate in at ALL, you guys. Less geek physics, more sexonamuhf*ckinplane. Dig?

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 10:44:16 am »
*LOOKS AT JENN*
can they have sexinthemasterbedroomofthebaxterbuilding?

:)
is that cool enough for you?
 ;D

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Jenn

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 11:18:06 am »
That's on Hudlin. In my mind, they've had sex here, there and everywhere, as the Beatles would say. :)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 12:10:04 pm »
I really wish I had my comic stash with me. Does anyone have Uncanny 369? I am hoping to scan from that issue all of Storm's face time in there to show how powerful the Trion was and to show how Storm single-handedly overcame them in combat and sealed a tear between two realities two prevent them from crashing into each other. The Trion were elemental forces that composed that dimension given form. They were the gods of that dimension and were the sum of everything that realm was, is and ever will be.

Given this:

Storm can perceive the universe as patterns of energies and forces, channel them and bend them to her will:

plus the fact that her power is limited by the force of her will and body- add to that she has the potential to evolve and trascend humanity which would mean that her imagination is the only thing that will ultimately limit her power, she could very well out power most of the cosmic abstract entites of our reality at full potential. She can perceive the universe as patters of energy and forces and bend them to her will. From the scan, this includes empty space, stars and planets. At full potential, she would be able to accomplish this kind of feat without limits. She could probably survive in in space unaided.

Anywhoo, going by the fact that she can control the energy that composes of empty space, it would not be out-of-character for her to create wormholes or open doorways to other dimensions.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:21:25 pm by Rutog98 »

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 12:23:36 pm »
Here, Storm's essense is removed from her body and replaced by a N'gari demon's. It is stated in the issue how the demon is not very comfortable yet in using Storm's powers. He doesn't have the mastery and comfort level she has, etc, yet he instantly freezes a large area with her powers:

You know, I was thinking about Storm's entry in the official handbook. It states that she cannot lower temperatures as far as absolute zero. Okay, I can understand she cannot summon those kinds of temperatures because the potential for that does not exist on Earth (like the potential for her to summon winds much stronger than any real life hurricane or tornado as she has accomplished this feat time and again in canon). However, it is something I think she can acheive with creative application of her powers. She has the ability to channel the forces of nature. This includes heat. When she is channeling storms and all, heat is one of the forces she is channeling. What is to stop her from absorbing all the heat from an object thereby ceasing all molecular movement and bringing its temperature down to an absoulte zero?  In other words, she may not be able to summon it, but she may be able to produce it with her control over heat. Anywhoo, just a thought.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:31:23 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 12:41:09 pm »
In the 12 story arc, we see further mention (and demonstration) that Storm can evolve. Here, she evolves into an elemental being:

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=evolvedstorm1wtno0.jpg

Here is a post a scientist did on another board about Storm: 

1. The core of a galaxy is the densest region of a galaxy. It contains massive amounts of matter in a relatively small space. We're talking about millions upon millions of stars, gases, planets, and black holes. Some scientist even theorize that at the center of a galaxy lies an incredibly monstrous black hole. The weather of Earth ultimately draws it's power from the Sun, our lovely star in this system. Storm is uniquely linked not just to the Earth but also the Moon and the Sun (and any other forces that might be related to weather phenomena), thus she can command the sources of energy that feed a weather system. She has also been able to channel that raw power through her body (this was shown in the scans where she re-directed the blizzard across North America and where Dr. Doom cast her into a iron sculpture). When Storm was ensnared by the brood embryo, she was able to channel the energy of the entire center of the galaxy through her body, effectively becoming (ever briefly) a being of pure radiant energy on a cosmic level!

2. As I mentioned before, Storm's powers mostly likely work through some sort of manipulation of the fluidic spectrum (Fluid Dynamics). It was posited, a very long time ago, that the inner portions of the Earth were large caverns with heavey drafts and wind tunnels. This was the supposed cause of earthquakes. We now know that that is NOT the case! Earthquakes are NOT caused by underearth wind storms nor are they caused by seismic waves! Seismic waves are essentially the result of earthquakes and not their cause. Scientist measure seismic waves to determine an earthquake's tirangulation and intensity. Earthquakes are most commonly caused by geologic tectonic activity. Massive land plates "floating" over a seething hot flowing mantle. The tension of these plates interacting with one another are the fundamental causes of geologic (land/rock) disturbances. In general, what allows the wind to blow is heat. Most know that hot things rise and cold things sink, this is the fundamental idea of a fluid (trust me, there's a lot more to it like viscosity, ductility, conductivity, etc.) but we'll stick to that. Under the proper conditions, solids behave like liquids (ever seen molten lava or sand in an hour glass?). Storm has access to an array of fluid control and should be able to cause the flow the mantle hundreds of miles deep within the Earth, this could cause an earthquake. Unfortunately, I think she lacks the understanding and technique to do it and the skill for exact precision. If she's off, even just a little, we're talking huge consequences!

3. I'm not exactly sure of what is meant by Jovian Pressure field. From what I understand, Jovian fields are created by Jupiter's magnetosphere, which incidently is HUGE (If you could see it as an ordinary lump of matter from Earth, it would appear to be about five times the size of the moon!). Jupiter's magnetosphere creates these interesting electric currents that shoot out protons and other things from it's atmosphere. I guess it would have to fall under the idea of "natural weather phenomenon of the Solar system." Besides, I personally don't by the idea of Storm only being able to create weather patterns that exist in nature. When was the last time you've seen small rain cloud watering a flower pot? I think she's able to bend or at least adapt nature's forces to whatever she can concieve.
It is also intresting to note that on the planet Neptune, the wind exceeds the most extremes velocities here on Earth and yet that planet is much further away from the Sun. This has stumped scientists to this day.
I know some mention her not being able to raise the temperature to solar intensities on Earth, have you ever been struck by lightning? The average lightning bolt is more than five-times hotter than the surface of the sun! All she would have to do is fold in the ionospehre a bit and redistribute the o-zone layer and then channel in a solar flare. Ouch!
Or how about creating a temperature relatively close to absolute zero? If she can create intense pressure fields, then she can create a compressive force that would in lower the temperature phenomenally.

4. That one stumps me, but I think yes! Storms power certainly affects biology, both evolutionary and developmentally, but they don't control biology. If she does turn into an elemental, I'm affraid she doesn't have the ability to change back, unless someone in the comics descides to give her that power.

5. I would say try not to get so caught up in the kinesis department of psionics. Psionics simply refers to the mind/psyche/spirit. Think of the clouds and the wind as being naturally apart of her body. In other words, part of her mind doesn't distinguish a separation of her body from her external environment. Her mind is a part of the forces around her. Which how she is able to sense objects in her environment. One the scans demonstrates this beautifully. Storm was submerged in the ocean and she had to reach out and find Yuriko. She could'nt see because it was so dark but she could still sense Yurikos disturbance in the "flow" of the current.

Storm has control over the physical forces of the universe, that means molecular control, atomic control, sub-atomic control, and energetic control! How do you think water gets transported to the sky and back to the ground? How do you think acid rain is generated? Or how the element of Nitrogen is generated in the atmosphere? Or how the chemical process of weather breaks down rocks, boulders, mountains, the pyramids, and any other structures you could name? Or how about water being the fundamental essence of life? Or Carbon and Hydrogen for that matter? What molecular control roughly translates is that you have control over electrons, which Storm has great control over! If you take away or add an electron from a molecule or element, your left with an ion. Ions are how molecules are formed and move becuase they have a charge (+/-). If you "shoot" an electron at an atom you've effectively created the process of nuclear fission, meaning that you've seperated the proton from the nucleus of an atom.
See how important electrons are in the real world? See how powerful ligthning is? Lightning generates every "ray" on the electromagnetic spectrum (radio, visible light, heat, microwave, x-ray, and gamma ray)!

6. One hell of a force not to be reckoned with!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:47:14 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2007, 12:50:02 pm »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 02:32:31 pm »
You know, I was thinking about Storm's entry in the official handbook. It states that she cannot lower temperatures as far as absolute zero. Okay, I can understand she cannot summon those kinds of temperatures because the potential for that does not exist on Earth (like the potential for her to summon winds much stronger than any real life hurricane or tornado as she has accomplished this feat time and again in canon). However, it is something I think she can acheive with creative application of her powers. She has the ability to channel the forces of nature. This includes heat. When she is channeling storms and all, heat is one of the forces she is channeling. What is to stop her from absorbing all the heat from an object thereby ceasing all molecular movement and bringing its temperature down to an absoulte zero?  In other words, she may not be able to summon it, but she may be able to produce it with her control over heat. Anywhoo, just a thought.
Well, the real question is what degree of impossibility are we willing to accept?  Absolute zero is a physical limitation approachable asymptotically but not absolutely achievable.  We either have to say that she can get things really close to absolute zero and that's good enough or we throw out the notion of fictional elements loosely contained within the framework of the physical workings of the universe.  Me, myself, I kind of like it when stuff has some kind of "plausible" explanation that doesn't blatantly contradict physical laws.  Obviously, this is a very slippery slope.  I had said I wasn't going to get into these comic book physics discussions...

For instance, this quote from that scanned image strikes me as pure nonsense:
In space, the elements are much more powerful than in a planetary atmosphere, the strength to manipulate them correspondingly greater.
Yep, planetary atmospheres are like Valium for the elements.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 03:00:51 pm »
Well, the real question is what degree of impossibility are we willing to accept?  Absolute zero is a physical limitation approachable asymptotically but not absolutely achievable.  We either have to say that she can get things really close to absolute zero and that's good enough or we throw out the notion of fictional elements loosely contained within the framework of the physical workings of the universe.  Me, myself, I kind of like it when stuff has some kind of "plausible" explanation that doesn't blatantly contradict physical laws.  Obviously, this is a very slippery slope.  I had said I wasn't going to get into these comic book physics discussions...

For instance, this quote from that scanned image strikes me as pure nonsense:
In space, the elements are much more powerful than in a planetary atmosphere, the strength to manipulate them correspondingly greater.
Yep, planetary atmospheres are like Valium for the elements.

I honestly do believe that an absolute zero is something Storm can do. She sucks all the heat out of an object while using her elemental powers to control heat and prevent it from entering her target.

As for that scan being nonsense, I disagree with you.  The lady is Mistress of the Elements on a cosmic scale. She can control the energies that govern the universe.

Edit:

I just reread what you said. I agree with you. That quote from that scan is pure nonsense. It is not even consistent with her powers. The forces she commands strengthens her. So if those forces are greater, so then should she become greater hence that quote is wrong.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:18:16 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)