Author Topic: Storm  (Read 391504 times)

Jenn

Re: Storm
« Reply #495 on: October 12, 2009, 08:32:53 pm »
we have the writer's word

OH, WELL IN THAT CASE...!!!!

*goes to get a drink*

He also seems to have some cool things in store for her.

Yes, like getting kidnapped. By Doom.

(For the record, I *am* drinking.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:38:31 pm by Jenn »

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2009, 08:35:35 pm »
we have the writer's word

OH, WELL IN THAT CASE...!!!!

*goes to get a drink*

LOL

Offline BarbaraB

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #497 on: October 12, 2009, 10:39:57 pm »
I'm trying y'all I'm really trying. I stared at the last issue of BP for a full minute before I finally picked it up and but it in my short stack of comics. I haven't read it yet (I've actually been busy). I'm not saying Mayberry is a bad writer. All I know is that I'm not a comics fan. I'm a Storm fan. Not a BP fan. He's okay, but I'm only here for the Storm.

I have every issue of Ultimate (even wrote an Ult. fic) although I know that the white haired black chick was NOT my Storm. I am also reading Astonishing, X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas and Forever. THere's something in me that believes deep down that if I stop buying books with Storm they'll stop putting her in them. Maybe that's a good thing. I don't know, but I guess on some level I'm like those RO/LO worshippers who believe they will put Storm and Wolverine together one day so they snatch at the bones that Marvel throws them once in a while.

I think that I am more disappointed with Black Panther than I've ever been with X-Men. I'm probably not going to ride this Shuri thing out. I mean at least if Storm flies in the book I get some cool scans. As soon is Storm is actually doing something in the book 'll be back on board though. I'm hoping hoping hoping that when Storm finally finds out about the harem that she really goes off though. I don't want any of that, "It is a part of the Wakandan culture, my love," or any of that other boolshat.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:18 pm »
I'm trying y'all I'm really trying. I stared at the last issue of BP for a full minute before I finally picked it up and but it in my short stack of comics. I haven't read it yet (I've actually been busy). I'm not saying Mayberry is a bad writer. All I know is that I'm not a comics fan. I'm a Storm fan. Not a BP fan. He's okay, but I'm only here for the Storm.

I have every issue of Ultimate (even wrote an Ult. fic) although I know that the white haired black chick was NOT my Storm. I am also reading Astonishing, X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas and Forever. THere's something in me that believes deep down that if I stop buying books with Storm they'll stop putting her in them. Maybe that's a good thing. I don't know, but I guess on some level I'm like those RO/LO worshippers who believe they will put Storm and Wolverine together one day so they snatch at the bones that Marvel throws them once in a while.

I think that I am more disappointed with Black Panther than I've ever been with X-Men. I'm probably not going to ride this Shuri thing out. I mean at least if Storm flies in the book I get some cool scans. As soon is Storm is actually doing something in the book 'll be back on board though. I'm hoping hoping hoping that when Storm finally finds out about the harem that she really goes off though. I don't want any of that, "It is a part of the Wakandan culture, my love," or any of that other boolshat.

So Storm would tell him not to have a army (because they are a army) because they are female?

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 12, 2009, 11:17:51 pm »
Barbara,

I totally understand where you are coming from with being a Storm fan. I got into comics for Storm and only read books where she plays a prominent role. Currently, that's BP and X-Men Forever since Storm was central June-August in Forever. Now that its established that she is no longer an X-Man but rather one of their dealiest advasaries, there is still kid Storm on the team roster. I don't know if I like that character yet. If I like kid Storm, I will stick with the title, if I don't like her, I will drop the title. I am not sticking around for the every now and then arc where villain, adult Storm shows up to threaten the team.

For Black Panther, I am taking the writer at his word. I think Storm is going to be getting a big slice of the pie and I think its going to be soon. True, Storm is currently being written out of character for the sake of Shuri. I understand the reasoning behind it though I don't agree with it. I mean, as I have already stated, Shuri could have been highlighted as well as Storm with them working in concert.  Storm, of course, should be the one in charge. I covered this at length already. I have faith that if I wait a month or two, I'm going to be very happy. Meanwhile, I am getting a taste of Maberry's writing style right now and I like what I see. I can't wait to see what he does with Storm.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:05:17 am by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Jenn

« Reply #500 on: October 12, 2009, 11:31:14 pm »
I guess on some level I'm like those RO/LO worshippers who believe they will put Storm and Wolverine together one day so they snatch at the bones that Marvel throws them once in a while.

They have a lot of meat since Storm is being kidnapped and rescued by Wolverine. (LOLOLOLOL) Have you ever gotten news so bad that you just laughed out loud because you didn't know what else to do? I swear to God, I feel like somebody is on top of my chest and the air is slowly seeping out of my lungs. (Fellow martial artists will know *exactly* what I mean.)

I'm a Storm fan. Not a BP fan. He's okay, but I'm only here for the Storm.

Really!? I was always a BP fan, but I really fell in love with him over the years. Now that he's Wakanda's bitch boy, I don't care what happens to him. f*ck him. No, really. And like you said, all that's going to happen is Storm is going to throw a little tantrum, then T'Challa's going to bang her back out. The end. Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Who gives a f*cking sh*t? I think it's a lot easier to stick with a book you hate than with a book you just can't get hyped up about, no matter how hard you try. Life's too short. And - and I know this is awful to say - I feel sorry for Storm fans now, in the same way I feel sorry for Tyler Perry fans.

But somebody reminded me that I dished out a looooooot of sh*t over these past three years. He said the one thing he's always admired about me is my ability to admit when I'm wrong. I don't know what I'm going to do about that, or how (probably blog it), or when, but I am going to. It's the right thing to do. Maybe it'll reverse the karma. (O/T: I type w/my eyes shut when I'm drunk, so you'll have to forgive me for whatever typos, runoffs and incoherent sentences I'm making right now. I'm also belting out Gilbert O'Sullivan right now.) Right now, all I want to do is get my admins/officers straight and get the f*ck out of here for a while. I don't even want to *think* about this title for a while, and I'll be goddamned if we wind up w/Claremont pt II up in here. I did the same thing when Obama picked Biden over Sebelius for VP. I had nothing to do w/him until voting day, and really haven't been impressed w/him since.)

PM me your Ult. fic, please? *big puppy dog eyes* I either gotta lie down or...I dunno. Better lie down!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:58:10 pm by Jenn »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 13, 2009, 08:08:04 am »
Now I'm all depressed!  :-\

Offline jonathanmaberry

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Maberry's Big Scary Blog
« Reply #502 on: October 13, 2009, 08:45:36 am »
Just keep watching.  Patience is often rewarded.
Jonathan Maberry
Multiple Bram Stoker Award winner
Author of PATIENT ZERO (St Martins Griffin), THEY BITE (Citadel Press), THE WOLFMAN (Tor) and DOOMWAR (Marvel Comics) 
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Maberry/803028269 
Look for me on Twitter and LinkedIn

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 13, 2009, 09:49:31 am »
This is why if I wrote comics I would not even LOOK at fan feedback. EVER.

If the stories arenít working for Storm fans like Jenn, they shouldnít read it. I gave up reading Avengers because I didnít like Bendisí version of them. So that bit I get.

But some of this other stuffÖ

See all I look for is for stories to make sense. If A then B. If you can throw some continuity in the mix, then even better. Loves me some Greg Pak. That Captain Britain MI-13 was Marvelís best product in a while. Period.

I saw the other day a Justice League DVD. And on the Directors Commentary, McDuffie noting that some fans had complained about the change of the introduction of show from the second season to the third said: ďFans just hate change.Ē

I get that some folks are Storm fans first, marriage fans second and B.P. fans third, but dag, the title of the book is still Black Panther last I checked, not Storm and Friends.

Moreover, in story Black Panther is a title than can be lost by its holder. So if TíChalla ainít Black Panther the story follows the person who is, Princess Regent or a Cop trying to make detective.

The job of this book is to pique the interest of readers about the new Panther. So far itís doing a pretty good job of it. As a regular reader youíd also want to know what happened to the old Panther. So far itís doing a decent job of that too. That Storm isnít getting screen time is regrettable but the story isnít about her and I donít see how it could be and still make sense.

The king of a race of unparalled asskickers got his ass beat. Thatís the premise. So what happens next? That would be the tale.  

So JOB ONE for him is payback.  Heck, job one for SHURI as the new Panther is payback but she doesnít know where to look yet. How can you logically have Storm get that payback by herself without undermining everything the Panthers stand for? Is Storm capable of gaining said information herself and acting on it? Well yes, but not without turning it into an X-Men story since Storm will need help with Doom.

Not only would that violate internal story logic but it kinda defeats the purpose of the relaunch.  
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:38:10 am by Vic Vega »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 13, 2009, 10:15:28 am »
F'real! :)

Maybe it's because of today's information age where this new generation of readers simply know too much about the progress of the books.

I mean, I can remember a time when all you had was comic book conventions (which I never got that far) where that was the only time you could get any real info on the books you read straight from the creator's mouths, up close & personal.  Maybe you read a line in the bullpen, maybe you actually wrote to the publishers, maybe you knew a friend that knows someone on the inside but overall, the whole production was total mystery and you simply waited with baited breath until next month.

Now, you know exactly what's going to happen 6 months to a year in advance!  No wonder's the anticipation is so demanding and the cover prices are so high!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:30:47 am by Battle »

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 13, 2009, 11:09:59 am »
Vic,

I understand what you are saying and agree to an extent, but you have to admit that there has to be balance. Storm is too big a character to ignore. That said, in my ideal world, both Storm and Shuri would have been showcased. However, this was not the road taken. Ah well. The writer is very good and very passionate about the book and I take him at his word. I firmly believe that he has some fantastic things planned for T'challa, Ororo and Shuri and that will satisfy all fans who have a stake in the book.  
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:27:57 am by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Jenn

« Reply #506 on: October 13, 2009, 12:26:04 pm »
I get that some folks are Storm fans first, marriage fans second and B.P. fans third, but dag, the title of the book is still Black Panther last I checked, not Storm and Friends.

How DARE Storm fans want to see Storm as the wife and queen princess clit licker of Shuri Doom's f*ck toy whateverthehellsheis of Wakanda!

That Storm isnít getting screen time is regrettable

Uh, no. Some 5th rate character taking the role of Panther? That's regrettable. Storm being pushed aside and pissed on for some 5th rate character is offensive. Oh, but wait. Don't tell me. Kust keep reading. Wait and see. Give it a chance and patience is a virtue and FAP FAP FAP SKEET SKEET SKEET. (And you guys think *I'm* arrogant?)

Not only would that violate internal story logic but it kinda defeats the purpose of the relaunch.

Well, hell. THIS relaunch defeats the purpose of the FIRST relaunch, doesn't it? And when this doesn't work AGAIN and Marvel wants to try to boost Panther sales AGAIN, what happens next for the re-re-relaunch? Do we kill off T'Challa and put Storm w/Shuri and make Ramonda the Black Panther? Because apparently putting Storm w/T'Challa didn't accomplish a damn thing. You can say what you want and Marvel can say what they want, but that's the only reason why we're starting over AGAIN. Marvel didn't go from #34 and ease Shuri into the role of BP (BTW, whatever happened to Monica?). Marvel just said "f*ck it, this isn't working. Scrap it and let's try something else." I mean, I applaud Marvel for desperately trying to keep this title afloat, but did they not learn ANYTHING from the marriage?

Seriously, though. If this title can be rebooted and everything get rescrambled in the blink of an eye, what's the point in investing in the story? That's not fair to anybody who's reading this book, no matter what they think about what's going on now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:32:33 pm by Jenn »

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 13, 2009, 12:34:59 pm »

How DARE Storm fans want to see Storm as the wife and queen princess clit licker of Shuri whateverthehellsheis of Wakanda!

That Storm isnít getting screen time is regrettable

Uh, no. Some 5th rate character taking the role of Panther? That's regrettable. Storm being pushed aside and pissed on for some 5th rate character is offensive. Oh, but wait. Don't tell me. Kust keep reading. Wait and see. Give it a chance and patience is a virtue and FAP FAP FAP SKEET SKEET SKEET. (And you guys think *I'm* arrogant?)

Well, hell. THIS relaunch defeats the purpose of the FIRST relaunch, doesn't it? And when this doesn't work AGAIN and Marvel wants to try to boost Panther sales AGAIN - which, for the record, completely defeats the purpose of even reading the book - what happens next for the re-re-relaunch? Do we kill off T'Challa and put Storm w/Shuri and make Ramonda the Black Panther? Because apparently putting Storm w/T'Challa didn't accomplish a damn thing. You can say what you want and Marvel can say what they want, but that's the only reason why we're starting over AGAIN. Marvel didn't go from #34 and ease Shuri into the role of BP (BTW, whatever happened to Monica?). Marvel just said "f*ck it, this isn't working. Scrap it." If this title can be rebooted and everything get rescrambled in the blink of an eye, what's the point in investing in the story? That's not fair to anybody who's reading this book, no matter what they think about what's going on now.

Consider this...what if it not just about sales? Maybe they are actually pushing the character...something that for a long time was half hearted in my opinion.

This event is pretty awesome. I really respect what you are saying, but man...what if you are wrong. They you as a die hard T'challa and Ororo fan would have missed out on something great.

I know you answer will be "no" ;D

But I saying Jenn.

I think they are really trying to push the character. I could tell when I saw Ironman Armored Adventures...when t'challa was really bad ass...and pretty much stole the show for tha episode. Along with Mr. Hudlin's cartoon, and the 2nd comic coming out next year (Cap and BP) and now this (Doomwar).

Just saying.

Jenn

« Reply #508 on: October 13, 2009, 01:33:36 pm »
I really respect what you are saying, but man...what if you are wrong.

I've always been the first to say when I'm wrong, even when I don't have to. I could've said nothing about the Worlds Apart book (especially after the first one!), but I didn't. The problem is that I'm rarely wrong about anything. So that's a long shot. The real question is: when you turn out to be wrong, will *you* say so?

They you as a die hard T'challa and Ororo fan would have missed out on something great.

I haven't seen "Chinatown", either, because of Polanski. That's my loss.

Besides, there's a difference b/t "this sounds like garbage and I'm not going to like this" and "this is going to be a miserable failure that will go down as one of the most pussified moves in the history of Marvel Comics". One is merely an opinion (which isn't mine, for the record). The other is an educated guess based on the way Marvel has handled Black Panther events in the past. There's a reason why, as of Oct. 13, Storm's Wikipedia entry still reads: Best known as a longtime member and sometimes leader of the X-Men, Storm is currently the reigning queen of Wakanda, a title held by marriage to King T'Challa, better known as the Black Panther. And it ain't because nobody's worked on the entry since BP #7. Does Shuri - who's going to be the savior of this title - even have an article yet? Apparently nobody cared enough to start one. So in the spirit of good faith, allow me to do so.

Shuri, a*k*a Panther Barbie, a*k*a Here Kitty Kitty, is the reigning princess regent or queen of Wakanda, depending on the page of the book you're unfortunate enough to be reading. She also holds the title of Black Panther due to desperation on behalf of Marvel Comics, who has a complete lack of faith in fans of T'Challa (last seen BAAAAWWWWing to some witch doctor because Doom won't take him to the junior prom). Shuri is the brainchild of Reginald "All Y'all Are Haters" Hudlin, and is currently penned by Jonathan "You'll Swallow and You'll Like It" Maberry. Shuri is SOOPERKEWLIEZ and it's best you just take the writer at his (long and winding) word, because that's pretty much all you've got going for yourself right now. Shuri was last seen wearing her brother's balls around her neck.

During the highly anticipated, upcoming OMGOMGOMGDOOOOOOOMWAR!!!!!, Shuri will be seen doing something, while T'Challa continues to cry like a bitch as his wife (?) Storm is kidnapped, presumably while watching television and masturbating over the sheer magnificence that is Shuri.

Recently, Marvel announced that there will be no refunds if consumers are unable to concentrate on their reading due to the sound of Maberry beating off to his own greatness. However, the debut issue of OMGOMGOMGDOOOOOOOMWAR!!!!! will come with a pair of Jonathan Maberry MMA Dickrider Shorts for all your nuthugging needs.

Feel free to build from there. (And you're welcome!)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:44:49 pm by Jenn »

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 13, 2009, 03:21:31 pm »
Jenn has a few good points on her opinion of the series...agreed.