Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Marvel
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 05:05:00 am »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 04:30:47 am »
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/14/captain-marvel-movie-2019-samuel-l-jackson-brie-larson-gemma-chan/

Samuel L. Jackson Shares Photos From 'Captain Marvel' Press Tour
By JENNA ANDERSON - February 13, 2019

It looks like the promotional tour for Captain Marvel has officially begun.

Samuel L. Jackson, who will reprise his role as Nick Fury in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film, recently shared a series of photos from the movie's first Singapore press tour stop on his Instagram account. The photos showcase the crowd that was at the event, a selfie of Jackson, Brie Larson, and Gemma Chan, and a Nick Fury action figure.

Captain Marvel will follow Larson's Carol Danvers, a former Air Force pilot who comes to terms with her human and alien heritage while in the middle of an intergalactic war in the 1990s. In the process, Carol will cross paths with a young Nick Fury -- a version of the character that Jackson was excited to add to the film.

"I have a daughter and I have a wife who feels undervalued," Jackson told reporters during a visit to the film's set. "Because she is a black woman, she is in the business and she's been in this business longer than I have. She was a professional actor when she was a kid and doing all this stuff. And she's a specific body type and a specific...skin tone. Which is not the preferred skin tone of this business basically. I mean, Viola Davis is the biggest dark skinned star. And… being able to uplift women in a very specific way, I grew up in a house full of women. Who always made me feel special. And made me tow a specific line. I understand a lot about who they are and what they felt just because I heard it. And I had to experience it every day. How hard the world is for women specifically."

COMMENTS
"And to work with Brie who has a very political aware sense of self, who not afraid to use her platform to push female agendas has been a real joy," he said. "This is my third movie with her. I did Kong with her, so we went all over the world. And then I did her movie, Unicorn Store. And to be a part of this specific story where she has such an enormous responsibility, especially in the success of the Marvel Universe and what it means every time there's a Marvel film. And to look at what happened last year with Wonder Woman, DC almost figured it out with that movie. To know what's going to happen when this movie does actually hit theaters for women and little girls is going to be amazing."
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 06:06:20 am »
From the latest movie trailer:

Someday...

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 10:10:58 am »
Wednesday, 20st February 2019
Right-wing trolls attack Brie Larson and target Captain Marvel with negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes
4chan users called for a boycott of the film after Larson spoke out about the importance of representation
by Alex Kaplan

Weeks before its release, the superhero movie Captain Marvel has already been targeted with negative reviews on the review aggregation site Rotten Tomatoes after users on 4chan called for a boycott and attacks on the woman-fronted and -directed film.

On February 12, Entertainment Tonight posted an article in which actor Brie Larson, who portrays the film’s superhero, said:

“I had a meeting with Marvel and what we discussed is they wanted to make a big feminist movie.”

The next day, The Hollywood Reporter posted a profile of Larson in which she discussed the movie’s significance for women -- in addition to it being the first Marvel movie led by a woman, it is also the first to be directed by a woman.

Larson also said in an interview published on February 11 that the movie critic community “appeared to be overwhelmingly white male” and that she wanted the film’s press tour to be “more inclusive” for film critics of color and women.

Some in far-right circles have responded by lashing out online at Larson, calling her an “idiot” and saying that a “big feminist movie” “sounds awful.”

Right-wing writer Courtney Kirchoff wrote articles calling Larson a “rude, sexist, racist bigot” and an “insufferable sexist bitch” on the website of BlazeTV host Steven Crowder, who is part of YouTube’s far-right community and who has hosted conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on his show and vice versa.

On Reddit’s “r/MensRights” subreddit, a user promoted a YouTube video calling Larson an “NPC superhero”

-- a reference to a meme about people who supposedly parrot left-wing views without thinking for themselves.

Users on on 4chan’s “/pol/” message board have been particularly angry, calling the movie “Captain SJW”
-- short for “social justice warrior,” a far-right term criticizing those who support liberal causes such as feminism, racial justice, and LGBTQ rights.

They also wrote that her “career needs to be destroyed for what she said about white men” and called for the movie to be boycotted.

Some users also specifically urged others to “tank” the film’s ratings and “downvote” it on review sites like Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb, along with pushing users to start Twitter campaigns like #BoycottBrie and #BoycottMsMarvel

On February 18, another 4chan message board, "/tv/," had a thread in which a user asked, "#BoycottCaptainMarvel raids when?"

Thousands of reviewers flocked to Rotten Tomatoes to tank the film’s pre-rating, which measures what percentage of people want to see it.

The film's score dropped from 90 percent on February 11 to 59 percent as of the publication of this article.

On February 19, some 4chan posters suggested message board users had played a role

This would not be the first time far-right trolls tried to impact reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

In 2017, some on the far-right took credit for tanking the rating for Star Wars: The Last Jedi because they were angry about the film’s “feminist agenda.”

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2019/02/20/Right-wing-trolls-attack-Brie-Larson-and-target-Captain-Marvel-with-negative-reviews-on-Ro/222924
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:21:46 am by Battle »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 12:00:19 pm »
sheesh. people are jerks. bizarre.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:03:38 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 05:24:05 am »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 08:18:15 am »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/captain_marvel/captain-marvel-featurette-reveals-new-footage-of-the-skrulls-and-confirms-jude-laws-character-a166677

i'm wondering about the super-secrecy of this; i suppose Marvel wanted to build anticipation by letting folks think that maybe he was playing Mar-Vell?