Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:21:54 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Marvel
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 04:30:37 am »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 03:11:30 pm »
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/03/03/captain-marvel-pop-up-video-stores-blockbsuter-viral-marketing/

hmm. I guess that's a little easier nowadays with the empty store spaces at certain shopping malls now, lol..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2019, 02:37:33 pm »
I saw it twice, once yesterday, and then earlier today. I thought the film was good, but not great. It's average. I'm very curious to see how it's box office will ultimately end up, because I can't see it reaching a billion. I would be surprised if it overtakes Wonder Woman's box office total. It should do in the upper 700 millions IMO.

What I liked:
-Chemistry between Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson. The trailer gave off a kind of buddy cop vibe for the film, and I felt that a lot would ride on how well Fury and Captain Marvel worked together. And I think the chemistry between the two actors was there and helped the film out big time. Jackson was having fun playing a younger Fury (perhaps too much fun) and I think Larson enjoyed her scenes with him. I also think Larson had chemistry with Lashana Lynch and Jude Law.
-The story. I liked how they structured the origin story for Captain Marvel, making it fresher.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I also liked the twists in the story, going some places I wasn't expecting. Though what this portends for all the Secret Invasion theories I have no clue. I was sort of hoping we would get an adaptation of Secret Invasion, but now I'm not so sure.
-The production values and designs remain top-notch. I thought the Skrull shape-shifting was cool,
though I didn't buy that they could shift out in the open like they did not too many people were troubled by that.
-The action. While sometimes hard to follow due to where/how they shot the action, there was still some nice action scenes in the film.
-The setting. You can't beat setting a film in the 1980s or 1990s IMO.
(Though I don't think they made the most of the time period. There could've been a few more jokes based on that, and I also thought the soundtrack could've been better. Though they did throw in some Salt-N-Pepa and TLC in there).

What I didn't like:
-Brie Larson's performance.
I wasn't sold on her to begin with, and though her Carol Danvers's does have more personality than in the trailers, it felt misapplied at times. I thought they made her quippy right off the bat and it felt like she belonged in a different film. And throughout the film, she came across way too casual to be an alien soldier stranded on Earth, a being unfamiliar with Earth and its customs. Here, I think the MCU formula to put jokes and 'coolness' at the forefront hampered the film and also Larson's performance. When I was watching it the second time I thought she would've made a better Sharon Carter than Captain Marvel.
-Nick Fury.
I liked that Jackson liked playing a younger Fury. But I didn't care for some of the jokes at his expense, and I also didn't care for how he lost his eye. It felt a bit anticlimactic, but done for another laugh.
-The tone.
I thought the film was too jokey way too much, and too many people had to be in on the fun, including the Skrull leader.
-The de-aging wasn't as good as some tout. I think both Ant-Man films do it better.
-I was leery of the feminist label for this film going in, and while the feminism is there,
and sometimes I felt that Danvers treated Fury too high-handed
, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile