Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Marvel
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2019, 07:30:46 am »
Friday, 15th May 2019
Trolls Tried to Sink ‘Captain Marvel.’ She Triumphed.

by Maya Salam

“This is not a revolution, it’s a restoration. Girls have always read comics.”
— Kelly Sue DeConnick, the comic book writer whose reimagining of Captain Marvel was the basis of the new film

Trolls tried to torpedo the new “Captain Marvel” movie — but in the end, the shero Carol Danvers (who’s been Captain Marvel in the comic books since 2012) prevailed.

The film sailed past $500 million in ticket sales in its first week.

ICYMI: Within hours of the movie’s release on March 8 (International Women’s Day), in what appeared to be a concerted effort, some 58,000 online reviews of “Captain Marvel” had tanked its rating on Rotten Tomatoes — leaving the film with an abysmal score of around 30 percent.

Rotten Tomatoes fixed the problem by that afternoon, removing about 50,000 of the reviews, which the site said had been written before the film was released.

Among other measures, the site swiftly eliminated prerelease audience reviews altogether.

“We’re doing it to more accurately and authentically represent the voice of fans,” the site said, “while protecting our data and public forums from bad actors.”

Now, the movie’s audience score is around 62 percent, and the “Tomatometer,” which analyzes ratings from film critics, is at 79 percent, slightly below the average for Marvel movies.

But “Captain Marvel” is not the only recent female-led film in the comic or sci-fi realm to be swarmed by trolls.

As my colleague Cara Buckley wrote this week:

“The all-female remake of ‘Ghostbusters,’ ‘Black Panther’ and ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi,’ which had a diverse cast, all found themselves in the cross hairs of armchair critics, some aligned with alt-right groups.”

Last year, a Facebook group called “Down with Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and Its Fanboys” posted an event called “Give Black Panther a Rotten Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes.”

The group had also claimed responsibility for sinking scores for “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”

Those who appeared to have targeted “Captain Marvel” were most likely incited by comments made by Brie Larson, the titular star.

Last year, Larson vowed to seek out more underrepresented journalists after noticing she was being interviewed by mostly white men.

She had a similar critique about film critics:

“I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘A Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him.”

She also told “Entertainment Tonight” that the vision for the film was clear during an early meeting with Marvel:

Make “a big feminist movie.”

Even if the trolls tried to stop her, make a big feminist movie she did.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:44:47 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2019, 11:46:13 am »
http://www.newsarama.com/46187-teyonah-parris-cast-as-the-adult-monica-rambeau.html

hey very cool.  I'm wondering if they're keeping her human for the show, then giving her powers in a future movie.  Or giving her powers now?  Hmm..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2019, 12:02:28 pm »
I was watching a You Tube video that speculated the same thing. I do hope she makes it to a Captain Marvel or other MCU movie, fully powered, at some point. I thought Paris was good in the Dear White People film and really good in Chi-Raq so I'm glad she's gotten this role.