Author Topic: Primeval ~ Review and Spoilers  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Primeval ~ Review and Spoilers
« on: February 28, 2007, 02:53:50 am »
"Primeval" is definitely not your basic monster film. If you're expecting a cousin of Jaws or King Kong, forget it. That trick has been used up. They even named the monster Gustav. 'Gustav' doesn't sound scary, despite his size and large teeth. I was only impressed on the quality of computer animation.

As a 'horror' film in Africa, you can expect black people to get killed. It's set in Burundi. It also involves the massacres surrounding the Hutu-Tutsi conflict. So of course black people will get killed! It wasn't as graphic as a B-movie, but it appeared very realistic enough to be on C.S.I.

What I enjoyed mostly were the racial politics. It's no different from the films which mention the Western indifference and ignorance to the suffering in Africa. At least not until a white person gets involved, yes, but generally they don't care. Still, you've got three Americans who do start to care and they are the stars. So you've got to work with that.

Metaphors, Irony, and Ubuntu
Three Americans journalists -two white, one black - and one Australian croc hunter fly over on a safari capture of legendary killer croc. They are urbanized foreigners going into the wild. Translation? That means they're ignorant folk. You can include the croc hunter who wants to capture the beast alive. (BTW - Is Burundi the poorest African nation? I thought Algeria still has that status.) I enjoyed the irony that an Afrikaner, played by Jurgen Prochnow, be more knowledgeable of their surroundings. His ancestors probably were colonialists, but it was fun watching him speak the local dialects and know the customs, while the rest were ignorant. But if there was any karma in his life, he must have paid extra. So thank you, Sir.

Dominic Purcell and Brooke Langton play their parts well enough. I'm amazed how they didn't end up a cliché couple in the end. After Jurassic Park and this film, travelers should learn to prepare before entering hot zones. Learn to fire guns, carry one always, study the area and learn the local dialects!

Orlando Jones was exciting here. Watching his character, Steven, descend from a guy getting his Afrocentrism on to an American grateful for his ancestral slavery was just deep. But what happens in the end? The group flew in with one black man, and they leave with another one. Sad, but one African has a fresh chance at the American dream. ‘Thanks, brother.’

As for the gunmen, it's ubuntu for them. What goes around comes around. I really enjoyed watching the killers get a more ‘natural justice’ in the bush. But I’m more amazed at how the villagers accept living under the threat of Gustav’s presence. It speaks volumes of them.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Primeval ~ Review and Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 07:23:33 am »
It's ironic that "Amazing Grace" is out now. During "Primeval" the white American woman sings that song when their African hosts expect her group to sing a song for them. She sang "Amazing Grace" much to Orlando Jones's annoyance. And lo and behold, it was a white British man, Pastor John Newton, who wrote from 1760 to 1770.  8) Oh Lord. Was blind, but now I see!
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?