Author Topic: Wesley Snipes Appreciation Thread  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
Wesley Snipes Appreciation Thread
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:37:25 pm »

https://www.cbr.com/john-singleton-black-panther-movie-pitch/

John Singleton’s 1990s Black Panther Movie Pitch Was, Frankly, Terrible

Actor Wesley Snipes has revealed John Singleton’s idea for a Black Panther film in the 1990s, which sounds as if the acclaimed filmmaker may not have understood the Marvel Comics hero.

“I laid on [Singleton] my vision of the film being closer to what you see now: the whole world of Africa being a hidden, highly technically advanced society, cloaked by a force field, Vibranium,” Snipes recalled to The Hollywood Reporter. “John was like, ‘Nah! Hah! Hah! See, he’s got the spirit of the Black Panther, but he is trying to get his son to join the [civil rights activist] organization. And he and his son have a problem, and they have some strife because he is trying to be politically correct and his son wants to be a knucklehead.'”

“I am loosely paraphrasing our conversation,” the actor continued. “But ultimately, John wanted to take the character and put him in the civil rights movement. And I’m like, ‘Dude! Where’s the toys?! They are highly technically advanced, and it will be fantastic to see Africa in this light opposed to how Africa is typically portrayed.’ I wanted to see the glory and the beautiful Africa. The jewel Africa.”

“I love John, but I am so glad we didn’t go down that road,” Snipes continued, “because that would have been the wrong thing to do with such a rich project.”

Terminal objective:

Talk about how awesome Wesley Snipes is!

Alternative objective

Talk about that dummy John Singleton's idea!
How many leaders you said you needed then left ‘em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, it’s King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Wesley Snipes Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:39:52 pm »
The actor also explained that he often had to clarify for people that he was making a movie about the superhero Black Panther, not the 1960s civil rights organization of the same name. The project eventually stalled because, according to Snipes, the “technology wasn’t there to do what they had already created in the comic book” and the producers couldn’t find “the right combination of script and director.”

Although his Black Panther movie never came to fruition, Snipes famously went on to star in 1998’s Blade, which earned more than $131 million worldwide, and spawned two sequels, Blade II and Blade: Trinity.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 01:00:27 pm »
Snipes not being S'yan or someone is a TRAVESTY!

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 01:24:52 pm »
I want him to come back as Blade as one last hurrah.  Get that standing ovation. 

But i don't think they're going to do that either.  Blade itself is a travesty.  Nothing but travesty, but Wesley did what he could

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:45:18 pm »
Hell just a Cameo I. General would of been good for him. Dude went to bat for BP in the 90s give him some credit

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 05:22:05 pm »
Edit:

Moved to spoiler thread
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:05:20 pm by Ezyo »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 05:31:44 pm »
Moved
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:32:25 pm by MindofShadow »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 06:02:12 pm »
Yeah I'ma wait and see. As long as it's not Coates level of f*ckery I'm good lol

Edit: I meant to put that review in the spoiler thread.. my bad I'll move it!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:04:32 pm by Ezyo »

Offline Gessela

• View Profile
    • Gessela Studios
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 06:05:24 pm »
Nuff Respect to Mr. Snipes from episodes of Miami Vice to Chi-Raq, he’s been an inspiration and represented for the culture on multiple platforms –
Black Led Indie Film, Blockbusters, Theatre and Television.
Black Film Production (He had production credits on many of the films he led).
Supported and Promoted Black Martial Artists.
Promotion of accurate History (check out the Dr. Henrik Clarke Documentary).
Black Comics, Sci-fi, and other Literature.

He’s released a slew of subpar material in the latter years, but I think this was a residual effect of the Hollywood blackballing and subsequent tax troubles. Anyway hopefully he’ll get an opportunity to shine bright again on the big screen (here or abroad).
ግሥላ = Panther

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 06:40:09 pm »

This^^^^^
Pull List

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 03:04:44 am »

He couldn't be a part of it because they still want him to reprise his role as Blade
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 06:51:44 am »
Nuff Respect to Mr. Snipes from episodes of Miami Vice to Chi-Raq, he’s been an inspiration and represented for the culture on multiple platforms –
Black Led Indie Film, Blockbusters, Theatre and Television.
Black Film Production (He had production credits on many of the films he led).
Supported and Promoted Black Martial Artists.
Promotion of accurate History (check out the Dr. Henrik Clarke Documentary).
Black Comics, Sci-fi, and other Literature.

He’s released a slew of subpar material in the latter years, but I think this was a residual effect of the Hollywood blackballing and subsequent tax troubles. Anyway hopefully he’ll get an opportunity to shine bright again on the big screen (here or abroad).

They pulled a coup on him during Blade 3 and once he flipped out about their attempted sabotage, they spun it as him being the crazy black man who was hard to work with.  2 character assassinations occurred, Blade as a movie franchise and Wesley the now black balled black actor.

That tax evasion jail time didn't help either, as that delayed any immediate bounce back while he still had some semblance of youth and spark to his name.  He easily could've been in those Liam Neeson 'Taken' type roles in his older age, but at that point mainstream Hollywood aint have no more love for him like that.

Hell, it's taken them like 5-6 years just to make another equalizer movie with Denzel!  Liam made like 5 Taken movies in that time span!

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 06:53:52 am »
http://uproxx.com/hitfix/wesley-snipes-blade-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Wesley Snipes Is Open To The Idea Of Playing Blade Again, Maybe Another Marvel Character Too

Speaking with THR, Snipes noted he was open to another film as the vampire hunter. Making a fourth film is a possibility that Snipes has hinted at for a while now.

“I am very much open to all of the possibilities,” said Snipes. “If Blade 4 comes along, that is a conversation we can have. And there are other characters in the Marvel universe that, if they want to invite me to play around with, I am with that too. I think the fans have a hunger for me to revision the Blade character, so that could limit where they could place me as another character in that universe.”

Your mileage on a fourth installment may vary, but the idea of Snipes playing another character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe opens up all kinds of intriguing and enticing possibilities. The actor also shared his thoughts on the evolution of Marvel’s movie output.

“I think the real shift is when they started bringing real character actors into the projects, people who are capable of creating three-dimensional characters and story and nuance, like Robert Downey, ” he offered. “I think that is also what made Blade a success. I had a theatrical, classically trained stage performer background, and all of those skills I brought to the character of Blade. I am always supportive of the actors. I think that is the key to some of the pillars of success we see at Marvel.”

The ball appears to be in Marvel’s court on this one. If they want Wesley Snipes they know where to find him. And where to find him is on Twitter doing marvellous things.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 06:54:39 am »
Debate:

Blade vs Blade II

who you got?

I'm blade II all the wway

(f*ck blade 3. I can watch it but how'd they f*ck up Dracula like that?)

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 07:06:11 am »
Blade II is my favorite comic book movie ever lol.  At least for another 2-3 weeks anyway.  I was mad they killed his would-be-bae at the end.

I was also mad at the white kids who sat behind me that kept on talking during the last act.  Once the movie ended i stood up and mean-mugged their entire family.  Race relations have never been the same since.

But staying on topic, I always liked how they were two distinctly different movies in style.  One was a story-driven epic full with gravitas and emotional weight, and the other a more popcorn-y action horror romp with a charismatic cast.

Pretty much Mass Effect 1 and 2, before Mass Effect 1 and 2.  Ironically, I liked Mass Effect 1 better than Mass Effect 2, but i prefer Blade 2 over Blade 1.  Go figure. 

With Blade 1 i liked the story but I didn't love it as much as I loved Blade 2's setup and cast and villain.

We don't talk about Blade 3 around these parts...