Author Topic: DOOMSDAY PREP FOR THE SUPER-RICH  (Read 740 times)

Offline imchills

• Assistant
    • View Profile
DOOMSDAY PREP FOR THE SUPER-RICH
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:41:48 am »
Steve Huffman, the thirty-three-year-old co-founder and C.E.O. of Reddit, which is valued at six hundred million dollars, was nearsighted until November, 2015, when he arranged to have laser eye surgery. He underwent the procedure not for the sake of convenience or appearance but, rather, for a reason he doesn’t usually talk much about: he hopes that it will improve his odds of surviving a disaster, whether natural or man-made. “If the world ends—and not even if the world ends, but if we have trouble—getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the ass,” he told me recently. “Without them, I’m f*cked.”

Huffman, who lives in San Francisco, has large blue eyes, thick, sandy hair, and an air of restless curiosity; at the University of Virginia, he was a competitive ballroom dancer, who hacked his roommate’s Web site as a prank. He is less focussed on a specific threat—a quake on the San Andreas, a pandemic, a dirty bomb—than he is on the aftermath, “the temporary collapse of our government and structures,” as he puts it. “I own a couple of motorcycles. I have a bunch of guns and ammo. Food. I figure that, with that, I can hole up in my house for some amount of time.”

Survivalism, the practice of preparing for a crackup of civilization, tends to evoke a certain picture: the woodsman in the tinfoil hat, the hysteric with the hoard of beans, the religious doomsayer. But in recent years survivalism has expanded to more affluent quarters, taking root in Silicon Valley and New York City, among technology executives, hedge-fund managers, and others in their economic cohort.

Last spring, as the Presidential campaign exposed increasingly toxic divisions in America, Antonio García Martínez, a forty-year-old former Facebook product manager living in San Francisco, bought five wooded acres on an island in the Pacific Northwest and brought in generators, solar panels, and thousands of rounds of ammunition. “When society loses a healthy founding myth, it descends into chaos,” he told me. The author of “Chaos Monkeys,” an acerbic Silicon Valley memoir, García Martínez wanted a refuge that would be far from cities but not entirely isolated. “All these dudes think that one guy alone could somehow withstand the roving mob,” he said. “No, you’re going to need to form a local militia. You just need so many things to actually ride out the apocalypse.” Once he started telling peers in the Bay Area about his “little island project,” they came “out of the woodwork” to describe their own preparations, he said. “I think people who are particularly attuned to the levers by which society actually works understand that we are skating on really thin cultural ice right now.”

In private Facebook groups, wealthy survivalists swap tips on gas masks, bunkers, and locations safe from the effects of climate change. One member, the head of an investment firm, told me, “I keep a helicopter gassed up all the time, and I have an underground bunker with an air-filtration system.” He said that his preparations probably put him at the “extreme” end among his peers. But he added, “A lot of my friends do the guns and the motorcycles and the gold coins. That’s not too rare anymore.”

Read more at http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/30/doomsday-prep-for-the-super-rich

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: DOOMSDAY PREP FOR THE SUPER-RICH
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:03:57 am »
Wednesday, 24th April 2019
Leader of illegal armed militia group attacked in jail

by Julio-Cesar Chavez

(SUNLAND PARK, N.M.) - The leader of an armed militia group that spent the past two months detaining migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border has been hospitalized after he was attacked in the prison where he was awaiting trial on federal firearms charges, his attorney said.
Larry Hopkins, 69, was in hospital with broken ribs after being attacked on Tuesday at the Dona Ana County Detention Center in Las Cruces, in southern New Mexico, attorney Kelly O'Connell said.

A spokeswoman for the Dona Ana County center could not be reached for immediate comment early on Wednesday.

The FBI on Saturday arrested Hopkins, leader of the United Constitutional Patriots group, on charges of being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition dating back to a 2017 investigation.

His UCP group on Tuesday abandoned the camp in the New Mexico desert where they had spent two months detaining thousands of illegal migrants.

The departure came after state officials and civil liberties groups accused them of violating migrants' rights and the owner of the property where they were camped ordered them out.

O'Connell said he had spoken with Hopkins by phone.

"This guy is very high profile. So, if he gets put into jail and is immediately attacked after his first hearing just a few days after being put in there, can Dona Ana County correctional protect high profile defendants?" O'Connell asked
O'Connell said he would ask officials about their plans to ensure his client's safety at his next scheduled court hearing on April 29 2019 in Albuquerque.

He said he did not know what had provoked the attack.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/leader-of-us-border-armed-militia-group-attacked-in-jail-attorney/ar-BBWfkB3?ocid=spartanntp
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:41:27 pm by Battle »