Author Topic: Best Buy, others to stop selling CDs  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Best Buy, others to stop selling CDs
« on: February 07, 2018, 11:59:21 am »
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16973538/bestbuy-target-cd-sales-vinyl-cassette

no!!!!!

Well, I guess this leaves Amazon and the independent music stores... maybe?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Best Buy is abandoning the humble CD and will no longer sell them in its stores starting on July 1st, 2018, reports Billboard. The move comes as CD sales continue to decline; revenue from digital music downloads eclipsed it back in 2014.

Target, on the other hand, says it will only sell music CDs under a consignment basis, shifting inventory risk back to the labels. That means Target would only pay labels for CDs when customers buy them, rather than buying the CDs in bulk and paying for shipments of unsold CDs back to the label for credit.

In a statement emailed to The Verge, Target said:

“Entertainment has been and continues to be an important part of Target’s brand. We are committed to working closely with our partners to bring the latest movies and music titles, along with exclusive content, to our guests.

“The changes we’re evaluating to our operating model, which shows a continued investment in our Entertainment business, reflect a broader shift in the industry and consumer behavior. We have nothing more to share at this time.”

Despite no longer selling CDs, Best Buy will still sell vinyl for the next two years, which Billboard says is part of a commitment it made to vendors. Sources suggested that Best Buy’s music CD arm was only generating $40 million annually.

As we’ve previously reported, during the first half of 2017, streaming services accounted for 62 percent of revenue from the US music market. The decline of CD sales has also sparked Warner Music Group to offer voluntary buyouts to its 130 staff working in physical product, according to Billboard.

It’s not surprising that we’re no longer buying CDs — at least not for new music. The best-selling CD in 2016 was a Mozart boxset, which contained 200 CDs that were individually counted as a separate sale. Users who don’t buy music prefer to stream it via services like Spotify and Apple Music, and gadget makers aren’t really making CD players anymore.

There’s still hope, though: vinyl has seen a resurgence in recent years, as has the cassette tape. And even though there aren’t a lot of new cassette players on the market, artists are still finding ways to release music through physical mediums (or at least a mix of both). For example, Korean artist G-Dragon released his latest album via USB drive.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
Re: Best Buy, others to stop selling CDs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:50:57 pm »
This reminds me that I need to go to a pawn shop and buy something with dual cassette decks. I got a clothes hamper full of 80's and 90's hip-hop tapes I may want to listen to one day.

Even though everybody else streams their music I still love a cd. They're old fashioned and fragile but you can always make another one in 10 minutes.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:32:14 am »
Meanwhile, 'round my way the local Barnes & Noble bookstore have added a whole new vinyl records inventory of current titles and re-issued classics for the last two years. 

...and was lucky enough to receive a genuine Technics turntable as a gift to play records on, so it's all good.  8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:24:27 am by Battle »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 12:51:47 pm »
Meanwhile, 'round my way the local Barnes & Noble bookstore have added a whole new vinyl records inventory of current titles and re-issued classics for the last two years. 

...and was lucky enough to receive a genuine Technics turntable as a gift to play records on, so it's all good.  8)

I need DJ lessons. what type of turntable set is recommended?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:29:22 pm »

I need DJ lessons. what type of turntable set is recommended?

Technic is the industry standard for DJs, Hype.

Something else comes to mind... everyone thinks and/or believes that CDs carry the best sound over vinyl.   Not true at all.  True audiophiles will tell you otherwise.

Check out these turntables priced point at $10, 000+.  Carries the 'best' sound that vinyl can deliver... with the right accessories, of course. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU5H54hFXxY

This one is just the pick up arm and needle setup priced point at $28, 000+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2Ji1poTos

Vinyl records and traditional turntables are making a serious, serious comeback!
This level of detail cannot be achieved with a electronic CD player.  8) 

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 09:51:48 am »
I started deejaying with Technics 1200s.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:52:30 pm »
So CDs are going away but vinyl is making a comeback. Isn't that something.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 09:55:00 am »
I like CDs but don't use them anymore.