Author Topic: Kick-Ass Reboot  (Read 557 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Kick-Ass Reboot
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:05:39 am »
http://www.cbr.com/kick-ass-reboot-mark-millar-analysis/

I thought this was a decent start, but I won't be continuing with the series. I thought Millar tried to shove his likely Trumpian viewpoints into this black female character's mouth (at least once that I caught), and while there are some black female Trump voters in the real world (I think about 4% voted for Trump and he has like two working in his administration) it just felt so inorganic and shoehorned in that, that was enough for me. I also didn't care for how Patience's (racially ambiguous) husband was portrayed as a lazy cheater. (Now that I think of it Millar might harbor some resentment against black men because I can't think of a one in the comics I've read that was positive, if they are there at all. In the original series, Dave was resentful of the black teen that the girl he wanted was dating, and perhaps that was an opportunity for Millar to express his own feelings. We also see Dave's father getting it on with a black woman, which is another side of that coin, sexual lust for black women while resenting black men. For the films, the 'best' black male portrayals are two villains-Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackson, and then the side character played by Common, so it's not a great track record there when it comes to black male characters, but better on film than what I've seen of Millar's prose.)

The twist of Patience just pretending to be a superhero in order to rob some crooks isn't a bad idea and does separate her from the original Kick-Ass but the cynicism also takes away from the idealism of the original character, albeit a sad and perhaps pathetic idealism, but it was endearing. Patience is more on the edge, living on the margins, and is more desperate, her interests more mercenary. That being said, there is a reason for that because she's got to provide for her kids.

So it's a mixed bag for me. I liked how she allowed herself to get captured, but I'm not sure where this is going to go. And right now the choice of picking the Kick-Ass costume seemed random because they aren't in the same city I don't think, and Kick-Ass did spark a regular superhero/vigilante movement so she could've just made up a character. Though I guess Kick-Ass might be the most well known of this group of heroes and perhaps there were enough material to buy or create an imitation suit.

Patience came across a pragmatic, strong, capable character, albeit in the garden variety 'strong black woman' who can do 'bad by all herself', which is likely Millar skimming the surface of black pop culture and not doing real research to explore the lives of black women. When I think about it, Patience being a black woman who is the media/white society dictated idea of 'strong' is the perfect vehicle for him to promote any regressive ideas that are swirling around in that highly imaginative, but fetid brain of his, because it would shield him a good deal from criticism. He could just say the critics are racists or sexists, a nice way to flick off people who might normally be coming for him.

I do think DC's similar Silencer has more promise. Honor Guest, which is such a cool name, is similarly strong and capable, she's also a woman of color, she also has family concerns though they are more positive than what is facing Patience. She also has some silencing superpower and a history with the League of Assassins. Silencer reminds me of Garth Ennis's Jennifer Blood a bit, but more tame than that. I don't think the Kick-Ass reboot is terrible so far, just not enough to get me to continue reading. I'm not completely hooked on Silencer at this point either, but for me, I might revisit that book before the new Kick-Ass.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:14:19 am by Emperorjones »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Kick-Ass Reboot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 05:04:02 am »
I liked the first issue. Going on the pull list.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 08:44:18 am »
so who is going to star in the film version?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 01:33:37 pm »
Millar does have a deal with Netflix so it's possible an adaptation could happen there. I don't think Kick-Ass 2 did that well so it's unlikely we'll get another theatrical release.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:33:28 am »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 07:01:10 am »
Second issue is good.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 07:59:37 am »
First six issues were good. Issues six had a surprise ending.

One month break then back in September. I'll be there lol.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 03:07:03 pm »
I dug all six issues. 

And yes, digging Silencer too.