Author Topic: Black Panther Annual #1 SPOILERS  (Read 7574 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Black Panther Annual #1 SPOILERS
« on: February 21, 2018, 07:24:17 am »
Priest Story:

- classic priest story, this was fully narrated by Ross
- summary... the consitutional council overruled T'challa and gave the world a tech that would prevent global warming. T'challa said it would be used as a weapon but gave in to the coucil
- person with those plans was murdered adn the plans set on fire
- story follows ross as he is kidnapped by Hunter, than saved by Malice/Nakia, all trying ot figure out what happened to the plans
- in the end, it was simply a random mugging and the plans were set to self destruct by tchalla if something happened to him.

pros: i like ross narration, return of Hunter, return of Malice/Nakia
cons: barely any T'challa and im not sure how the nicole stuff is going to go down around here if it is taken out of context at all...

McGregor:

- T'challa ventures to get the HSH, illegally, to put in Monica Lynn's casket after she died of Cancer.

this seems entirely non cannon, unless this is some weird place that is before W'kabi died?

Hudlin:

- Wakanda killed Doom, killed Magneto
- Namor married off an Atlantean to a Wakandan for politcal reasons
- Wakanda rules the world

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Black Panther Annual #1 SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:28:29 am »
I'll be the comic debbie downer:

This was like 3 teases that then just ended.

I would have rather had 3 separate annuals of each so we actually got a full story.

Priest told a story... but was so focused on Ross narration and checking boxes with Hunter and Malice that there was no T'challa because he only had 8? pages.

McGregor told a beautiful story about black love essentially but... its non canon.

Hudlin was a cool checklist of non canon stuff but... i mean.. it was a future non canon history lesson.

I think this annual could have been used better. This was three appetizers but I am still hungry and there is no main course or dessert in sight.

Offline DigiCom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:18 am »
I pretty much agree with you, MoS.  There was a lot more to be said, at least regarding the Priest & Hudlin stories.  But I do have a few comments:

Priest:

I am not surprised that there was very little T'Challa, because the story was ultimately about how the rest of the world sees him.  I also spot a bit of metafictional commentary from Priest, not only with Ross moaning about how he doesn't do this sort of thing anymore, but also with the way everyone in the story seems to think that, despite the fact that they haven't interacted on panel in decades, T'Challa would _naturally_ have Ross helping him out.  The characters (aka the fans) don't seem to have recognized that T'Challa has changed.

McGregor:

Damn, that's some wordy purple prose.  I can't help but wonder if he's taking a subtle potshot at Hudlin with the cancer thing, tho.

Hudlin:

I expected a twist at the end, because things were going too well.  I'm not sure that the implication that he had to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
kill Iron Man
was enough, tho... I half expected the whole thing to be some sort of holodeck recreation, and Wakanda was actually in ruins.  This was certainly more optimistic, but somehow less satisfying.

Of the three, I think only Reggie's tale is one that I really want to see more of.  Priest's was more of a nostalgic "where are they now" sort of thing, and McGregor's was, frankly, almost unreadable. 

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 07:50:54 am »

Of the three, I think only Reggie's tale is one that I really want to see more of.  Priest's was more of a nostalgic "where are they now" sort of thing, and McGregor's was, frankly, almost unreadable.

agreed

Hudlin's seems like a fun "What if... " type of story. "What if BP and Storm stayed married?" type of thing.

Priest did have me feeling nostalgic. And I was excited to see Hunter and Malice. But, even though it confirms Malice is still alive and Hunter is out of prison... I know both of these people we never been seen again as long as Coates is writing so it essentially means nothing.

I have no idea what McGregor was doing. Why write an out of continuity story like that? Hudlin's at least piggy backs on his old story... this was just a wordy, short story pointless thing. he surely could have blended this into continuity rather easily.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:53:43 am »

agreed

Hudlin's seems like a fun "What if... " type of story. "What if BP and Storm stayed married?" type of thing.

Priest did have me feeling nostalgic. And I was excited to see Hunter and Malice. But, even though it confirms Malice is still alive and Hunter is out of prison... I know both of these people we never been seen again as long as Coates is writing so it essentially means nothing.

I have no idea what McGregor was doing. Why write an out of continuity story like that? Hudlin's at least piggy backs on his old story... this was just a wordy, short story pointless thing. he surely could have blended this into continuity rather easily.

Good question, only thing I can guess he had plans to kill off Monica at some point or someone in real life close to him (Don) died & he wrote this story in relation to that
Pull List

Offline DigiCom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 08:08:12 am »
You know what might have been sweet?  If Priest had added a throwaway line that Nakia was named after a legendary Wakandan espionage agent.  "Rumor has it she and the king used to date.  Her code name was Malaika."

Too late now, tho.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 08:19:09 am »
You know what might have been sweet?  If Priest had added a throwaway line that Nakia was named after a legendary Wakandan espionage agent.  "Rumor has it she and the king used to date.  Her code name was Malaika."

Too late now, tho.

Great idea, given what I read off of Peter B Gills Facebook (in regards to he & his marvel relationship), I'd be shocked if marvel would have asked him to not to used the name Malaika, but I could be wrong..
Pull List

Offline DigiCom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 08:22:02 am »
Fair point.  Easy enough to write around, tho. :)

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:26:52 am »
Fair point.  Easy enough to write around, tho. :)

Tru Tru..

He's his FB post if you or anyone else is interested

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156093149059116&id=533034115&fs=4
Pull List

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 08:46:20 am »
So final verdict, Worth it to buy?

Offline DigiCom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 08:55:05 am »
Not sure.  In the end, it's an artifact, a reminder of better times.  It's not the sort of comic to pore over and re-read, since, in the end, all three stories are inconsequential.  OTOH, if you have $5.00 to spend, and you want two good BP stories (and one rather verbose one) I can think of worse ways to spend it.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 09:03:00 am »

It hurts my soul to think this, but no.

And that is mostly the formats fault than the actual stories. A good, one shot comic is hard. A good, one shot 8 page story is nearly impossible.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:08 am »
I'll read Hudlin's story and will skim the parts in Priest's story that have Nakia in it, just out of nostalgia.  That'll be about it.
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 10:25:38 am »

And that is mostly the formats fault than the actual stories. A good, one shot comic is hard. A good, one shot 8 page story is nearly impossible.

That's disappointing.. maybe if it were a big 50 pager so each writer had about 15-17 page's it could of been more fulfilling then just a tease?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 10:29:11 am »

That's disappointing.. maybe if it were a big 50 pager so each writer had about 15-17 page's it could of been more fulfilling then just a tease?

Priest tried to tell a story and ran out of pages so it just felt like a check list.

McGregor was McGregor. If you love him im sure youw ill like it. If not its pretty bad

Hudlin basically just went "we killed them all" with great artwork.