Author Topic: Black Panther Annual #1 SPOILERS  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther Annual #1 SPOILERS
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 08:12:53 am »
I advocated everyone leaving CBR a year ago, or at least to stop acknowledging the xpacs, murdocks and storm kids of the world there.

Sure, i dropped in briefly to gloat about Queen Nakia a couple weeks back, which i planned to do for months [some unfan/storm fan clapback i owed].  But outside of that stretch, that board and that forum offers nothing.

If it's not unfans d-riding TNC, it's negative nancies complaining about Chadwick's pecs not being big enough or MBJ casting choices.
How many leaders you said you needed then left Ďem for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, itís King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 08:22:24 am »
So final verdict, Worth it to buy?

It hurts my soul to think this, but no.

And that is mostly the formats fault than the actual stories. A good, one shot comic is hard. A good, one shot 8 page story is nearly impossible.

That's disappointing.. maybe if it were a big 50 pager so each writer had about 15-17 page's it could of been more fulfilling then just a tease?

Priest tried to tell a story and ran out of pages so it just felt like a check list.

McGregor was McGregor. If you love him im sure youw ill like it. If not its pretty bad

Hudlin basically just went "we killed them all" with great artwork.

My thoughts basically run like this, speaking for me I can only recommend it if you find it in a cheap back issue bin or itís on sale at comiXology

Also got permabanned from CBR like five minutes ago simply for saying in polite terms that a poster is being racist and is being a hygiene product for being called out on it. Not surprised given how the mods are with not banning those who actually should but oh well

And yea... it wasn't worth the buy.  Honestly, i felt kinda annoyed when i was done reading it.  Didn't feel fulfilling with 2 half finished cliff hanger things and the McGregor story which... well he's the one writer whose past work i've largely skimmed if not flat out avoided so... yea.  idk
How many leaders you said you needed then left Ďem for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, itís King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 04:48:46 pm »
So the question remains.

Why are any of us still posting over there?

If every real BP fan stopped posting on CBR and migrated over 2the HEF, that would increase traffic for this forum and allow us to fully enjoy discussions about out favourite topic without trolls and biased mods messing with us.

Do any of you honestly think that the likes of XPAC, Mike Mugdock or any of the other idiots posting over there would come over here?

I'm looking to stop posting in that cess pit with immediate effect.

No especially Xpac

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 01:54:41 am »
Any place that doesn't protect XPac isn't a place he'll post at. The only reason he gets away with posting his crap on CBR, is because the mods deliberately protect him, for some reason.

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2018, 05:05:37 am »

Special thanks to Mr. Hudlin for the wonderful story in the Annual. I enjoyed Priest's work, too, but I think his organization and framing could have evolved more (similar to my critique of his Deathstroke stories).

McGregor's story was a layered lamentation; it reminded me of a conversation with Chris Claremont a couple years ago. They lifted the genre two generations ago, and now they're being left behind. While Stan Lee shines in limited cameos, their status may be limited to conventions. T'Challa's sadness about Monica's death paralleled McGregor's mourning the narrative transformation that Priest, Hudlin, and Hickman delivered. It is a hard thing to look at some of your best work and see its limitations.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 06:22:04 pm »
Most of you seemed to enjoy the story, glad you did.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 09:17:36 pm »
Most of you seemed to enjoy the story, glad you did.

R to the H...you had hands down the dopest story in the book. Wasn't close. Priest wrote his butt off as usual and did better with his 12 pages than TNC did in his entire tenure, but you merked em because your BP is the logical extension of the guy you started with AND the logical extension of the Chadwick Boseman's BP
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 09:50:35 pm »
You know what might have been sweet?  If Priest had added a throwaway line that Nakia was named after a legendary Wakandan espionage agent.  "Rumor has it she and the king used to date.  Her code name was Malaika."

Too late now, tho.

I was just reading that panel with Malaika earlier today. What a interesting coincidence...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2018, 07:27:57 pm »
"BACK IN BLACK"
writer: PRIEST
artist: MIKE PERKINS

Fun read. 
The story reads as if Mr. Priest never left the Black Panther title.
This story demonstrates why The Wakandans never share their advanced technology and what safeguards are set in place just in case their secrets leave the shores of Wakanda.

"PANTHER'S HEART"
writer DON McGREGOR
artist: DANIEL ACUNA

Nice story.  Liked how the artist puts Black Panther's athleticism on display.  Still reads a little bit like 'Panther's Rage' or 'Panther's prey' which was... awful.

Fascinating to learn that Rich Buckler had passed away through Mr. McGregor's little forward. He wasn't my favorite comicbook artist 'cause he was an interesting 'substitute' artist when no one else was available.  Now billy graham, was criticized here at HEF because he coerced, requested and accepted vast amounts of money from vulnerable, poor African-American families in the ante-bellum South for decades to enrich himself.  I know this because my grandmother was one of those African-American families.

It's a Black thing.  You wouldn't understand.

"BLACK TO THE FUTURE PART II"
writer: REGGIE HUDLIN
artist: KEN LASHLEY

I love this story because it literally is a continuation to the first Black Panther Annual #1.

This is the Panther we want to see!   A very confidant T'Challa that gets the last word against all who opposes him.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 06:22:39 am »
proving a point, mods can easily undo