Author Topic: Avengers Infinity War Movie Talk Thread [No spoilers?]  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
Avengers Infinity War Movie Talk Thread [No spoilers?]
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:30:20 am »
 Keep ya cotdamn spoilers to yourself  >:(

;) Similar to BP Movie [non-spoiler] and BP Movie Spoiler threads, let this be the non spoiler version for general discussion, musings, wishful thinking, and media reports for those of us who haven't been completely spoiled/ruined with how this movie is going to play out and don't want to be shielding our eyes like vampires do UV lights every other post.
How many leaders you said you needed then left ‘em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, it’s King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Avengers Infinity War Movie Talk Thread [No spoilers?]
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:34:36 am »
With that said, if you want to be completely virginal to what this movie is about, don't read this Entertainment Weekly article or pick up the magazine on newstands or talk to anyone who read or picked up the magazine.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/03/08/avengers-infinity-war-behind-the-scenes/3/

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:37:05 am »
http://ew.com/movies/2018/03/08/avengers-infinity-war-behind-the-scenes/3/

Seriously, don't read this.  It's public information now but those with virgin eyes like myself may regret what you read

[I don't regret it]

EW’s Day 2 on Infinity War took us into the woods on the same equestrian ranch, doubling as Wakandan jungle. Cap, Black Panther, Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow, and Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk are protecting an ailing Vision, who collapses in agony as Thanos and his gauntlet of space gems draws near.

“Vision is a living MacGuffin,” Anthony Russo says. “Obviously, that raises the stakes because Vision’s life is in danger, and his life is in conflict with Thanos’ goals, so something’s got to give.”

Stalking the heroes through the overgrowth is Proxima Midnight, one of the warriors Thanos kidnapped when they were young to train as bloodthirsty lieutenants, just as he did with his estranged “children” Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Nebula (Karen Gillan).

“Cap makes the decision to bring [Vision] here to Wakanda,” Anthony Russo says. “Earth is making its last stand to keep the stone from Thanos. It’s the best place to make your last stand.”

An important part of the lore of Wakanda is that the fictional African nation is so powerful it has never been successfully invaded. That’s no longer the case, but Black Panther and his people are doing their best to push Thanos’ army back out again.

“It’s never been conquered, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been challenged,” Boseman says.

Wakanda Becomes a Battleground

This is all new for Okoye, Danai Gurira’s head of the Dora Milaje, Wakanda’s special forces. She just got used to opening up to ­foreigners; now she’s fighting alongside talking raccoons and aliens. “Change is scary,” the actress says. “But I think the learning curve is to become a citizen of the world versus a citizen of Wakanda.”

Still, T’Challa and Okoye welcome Cap, Vision, and the others as friends, as allies, to their homeland. As we saw at the end of Black Panther, the new king wants his powerful country to stand up for more than itself. The whole universe seems like a good place to start.

“They trust each other,” Boseman says of Panther and Cap. The actor points to his gift of claw shields from Shuri (Letitia Wright,) forged from Wakanda’s sacred natural resource. “His shield was already made from vibranium anyway. So it’s just an extension of what he already had. This time, actually giving it to him, as opposed to…” Boseman shrugs. The materials for the old shield were likely taken, not offered. “Me actually giving it to him is a testament to our relationship and trust.”

Trust is all some of the heroes have left. Johansson says Black Widow, who has always been on the cynical side of the good-guy spectrum, now has faith in only a small circle of friends. “I think it’s been a dark time. I wouldn’t say that my character has been particularly hopeful, but I think she’s hardened even more than she probably was before,” the actress says.

As with Black Panther, Cap is one of the only people Natasha Romanoff still trusts. “It’s always felt like Natasha uses her cynicism as a defense mechanism. She weaponizes it for survival,” Evans says, sitting with Johansson during a break. “I think Steve is a little newly calloused in the ways of the world. But Natasha is always going to be a couple steps ahead of him in terms of experience and knowledge. They’ve leaned on each other for different reasons. It’s reinforced the friendship.”

Somehow, despite their differences, they get along. It’s a lot easier between two people than 50, but that’s what the characters of this story will have to accomplish.

Most superhero origins follow a similar pattern. The good guy discovers a power, then figures out how to wield it for good. In Infinity War, after so many movies about heroes bickering with each other, the superpower they discover is solidarity.

“They’re fractured at the start of the movie,” Joe Russo says. “It was always the intent, in a larger arc, to split the Avengers up before the greatest threat that they’ve ever seen. Thanos is a virtually indestructible character, which makes him an extremely difficult character to fight.”

Anthony Russo adds: “In the face of this, it’s like, ‘Can you overcome the divisions that have developed between you to face a common cause?’ That’s really the question.”

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:39:04 am »
Looks like all those memes about Rhodes finally got his some of that Wakandan medicine. Lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:42:41 am »
Looks like all those memes about Rhodes finally got his some of that Wakandan medicine. Lol

Rhodey looks tired and incredulous. 

That shot of him is lowkey hilarious

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 11:26:23 am »
I would expect some "oh sh*t" from falcon in regards to wakanda.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 11:43:58 am »
I would expect some "oh sh*t" from falcon in regards to wakanda.

Mackie said Falcon wants that smoke with T'Challa.

Well I say tell Falcon he better have that saaaaame energy once he's standing face to face with the GOAT one  >:(

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 05:01:10 am »
What's funny is they shot these films before knowing BP was the mvp of their franchise.  So on one hand it's kudos for the big Wakandan set piece but, on the other hand, we're not gonna feel the ramifications of the billy panther until after infinity war part 2, hmph

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 05:08:31 am »
What's funny is they shot these films before knowing BP was the mvp of their franchise.  So on one hand it's kudos for the big Wakandan set piece but, on the other hand, we're not gonna feel the ramifications of the billy panther until after infinity war part 2, hmph

Yeah, that kind of sucks.

The november date last year would have been better.

If Panther made a billy before they started filming, he'd be standing next to spider-man in all the posters and he'd 100% get to kill one of the BO generals. I doubt he will now... im gonna assume the generals all die by the hands of the OG squad (cap, thor, hulk, IM)

There is probably about a 95% chance BP ends up funding the New Avengers now though.

(I swear to Bast, as much as ms Brie Larson looks good in a tank top, if Carol has a bigger part in Avengers 4 than T'challa, I riot)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 06:22:20 am »
Seeing how big Tchalla is getting, I'm guessing unless they finished filming for Avengers 4 , they are probably going to add T'chadwick o. There as a bigger presence given how he just blew up and shattered the minds an records of non-believers. Disney would be stupid NOT to want to present there New money grabber to a more prominent role going forward. Spidey ain't gonna be the only "Face" of new phase,
BP gonna steal it from him

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 06:26:16 am »
Seeing how big Tchalla is getting, I'm guessing unless they finished filming for Avengers 4 , they are probably going to add T'chadwick o. There as a bigger presence given how he just blew up and shattered the minds an records of non-believers. Disney would be stupid NOT to want to present there New money grabber to a more prominent role going forward. Spidey ain't gonna be the only "Face" of new phase,

It is done filming, they filmed it back to back.

Spidey will never be the face of the MCU

He is simply a "booster" at this point. Marvel Studios gets none of the money from his solo movies. He exists purely to boost the Avenger films when necessary and sell a ton of toys.

I guarantee they were transitioning into a Dr. Strange lead MCU judging from IW where he is all over the place. Guarantee that ain't happenin no more lol.

The movie has already helped the comics in a way. Aaron saying T'challa is gonna make it the avengers "big 4" is proof of that. No one has said that before.

Interestingly, the one they put more comic effect into, Carol, is on the same team... and he didn't say sh*t about her.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 06:32:01 am »

If Panther made a billy before they started filming, he'd be standing next to spider-man in all the posters and he'd 100% get to kill one of the BO generals. I doubt he will now... im gonna assume the generals all die by the hands of the OG squad (cap, thor, hulk, IM)

There is probably about a 95% chance BP ends up funding the New Avengers now though.

(I swear to Bast, as much as ms Brie Larson looks good in a tank top, if Carol has a bigger part in Avengers 4 than T'challa, I riot)
Yup, it feels like it will be 'respectful' decorating for BP and Wakanda, i.e. see them kill their share of 6 armed grunts in the background, some nice character moments for shuri and bp to move the main plot forward... but no real defining bang moment. 

I guess we'll have to wait for the super skrull fight 4 years from now in secret invasion

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 06:35:15 am »

Yup, it feels like it will be 'respectful' decorating for BP and Wakanda, i.e. see them kill their share of 6 armed grunts in the background, some nice character moments for shuri and bp to move the main plot forward... but no real defining bang moment. 

I guess we'll have to wait for the super skrull fight 4 years from now in secret invasion

im hoping he gets to kill the outrider general dude if he can't kill any of the BO

ill honestly be really curious what T'chalal does at the end of the battle... does he leave with the Avengers or does he stay in Wakanda?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 06:44:21 am »

It is done filming, they filmed it back to back.

Spidey will never be the face of the MCU

He is simply a "booster" at this point. Marvel Studios gets none of the money from his solo movies. He exists purely to boost the Avenger films when necessary and sell a ton of toys.

I guarantee they were transitioning into a Dr. Strange lead MCU judging from IW where he is all over the place. Guarantee that ain't happenin no more lol.

The movie has already helped the comics in a way. Aaron saying T'challa is gonna make it the avengers "big 4" is proof of that. No one has said that before.

Interestingly, the one they put more comic effect into, Carol, is on the same team... and he didn't say sh*t about her.

Haha yup, i've heard a couple people say how marvel probably felt dr. strange/cumberbatch was primed to be the new tony stark... until t'chadwick knocked all the buildings down.  When the dust settles, BP's final domestic total (600m+) alone will be in the ball park of Dr. Strange's entire movie run (677m), and so will BP's final foreign total, also around 600m. 

There was another report about how stores are leaving money on the table bc they were severely under-prepared for the demand for bp merch and toys.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 06:47:28 am »
Well hopefully Aaron delivers and makes Tchalla prominent to make up the "big 4" Ewing also had similar word's in terms of what he was going to do with T'Challa and while he gave us nice feats I'm Happy for, Ultimates left a lot to be desired