Author Topic: February 2018 Sales- We Have Failed  (Read 8694 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
February 2018 Sales- We Have Failed
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:27:39 am »
70. Black Panther #170 (Marvel) - 28,143 [92]

105. Black Panther Annual #1 (Marvel) - 20,972 [74]

110. Black Panther Sound and Fury #1 (Marvel) - 20,136 [93]

111. Rise of Black Panther #2 (Marvel) - 19,709 [116]

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: February 2018 Sales- We Have Failed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:48 am »
The main book bump is to be expected. It will be back down in lower 20s from march until Infinity War. I would bet comic stores ordered more on expectations that people would come in looking for it. Bet they didn't sell any extra though.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37:29 am »
The main book bump is to be expected. It will be back down in lower 20s from march until Infinity War. I would bet comic stores ordered more on expectations that people would come in looking for it. Bet they didn't sell any extra though.

Rise is already DOA though. already under 20. it will be under 15 by the 6th issue

dreams of a hudlin situation are already dead

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 08:39:48 am »
I'm going to make a correction. One more expected bump for Fresh Start relaunch which should be padded with over ships and people looking to collect #1s

Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:45:30 am »
So thats it. Were stuck with Chokes. Meh, oh well at least we still have the MCU and the upcoming cartoon.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:49:02 am »
I'm going to make a correction. One more expected bump for Fresh Start relaunch which should be padded with over ships and people looking to collect #1s

initial number 1 huge bump thanks to hickman, movie hype, and years of no solo

legacy bump

BP movie came out bump

new #1 fresh start bump

its never going to stop. there is just enough audience for Coatesverse that they can give it these bumps every 6 months to keep it alive.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:50:52 am by MindofShadow »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:49:30 am »
If you look at the dollars column, Coates is still is the same area. A little better though. Which means they didn't sell what they ordered?
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 08:50:13 am »
Main book was expected.  Which is why it was so important for it to have died early in season 2 before any major planning and sales strategies could manifest... but legacy bump saved it. Now mcu movie bump, then infinity bump, and relaunch bump will keep it afloat until mid season 3.

The biggest  travesty, yet also expected, was Rise.  I'm pretty sure I and maybe someone else mentioned this when the sales numbers for the first one came out. It was already doomed from jump.   
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 08:52:17 am »
Main book was expected.  Which is why it was so important for it to have died early in season 2 before any major planning and sales strategies could manifest... but legacy bump saved it. Now mcu movie bump, then infinity bump, and relaunch bump will keep it afloat until mid season 3.

The biggest  travesty, yet also expected, was Rise.  I'm pretty sure I and maybe someone else mentioned this when the sales numbers for the first one came out. It was already doomed from jump.

it got outsold by a random ass one shot (sound and fury)!

... how!??

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 08:57:23 am »
If you look at the dollars column, Coates is still is the same area. A little better though. Which means they didn't sell what they ordered?

They overshipped. 

Sadly it wouldn't be until 3-4 issues into the galactic empire dookie before we can get an idea of how far away we are from this ish finally ending.

We missed the boat in season 2, which looking back at it would've been a tight gap to squeeze through anyway given all the marketing tactics lined up in a row to keep this sh*t breathing

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 09:01:37 am »

... how!??

That's just an embarrassment.

Black Panther Annual, and Sound of Fury are catchier titles tho.

Rise of BP likely was unattractive bc it sounde like back in the day stuff while ppl were looking for current.

Plus issue #1 had no BP and was largely a lot of talking. 

But ultimately, the marketing wasn't what it needed to be.  TNC is the one having interviews with the director and star male/female leads. 

Whereas Evans did a kevin smith youtube podcast without kevin smith even being there. yea...

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 09:02:33 am »

They overshipped. 

Sadly it wouldn't be until 3-4 issues into the galactic empire dookie before we can get an idea of how far away we are from this ish finally ending.

We missed the boat in season 2, which looking back at it would've been a tight gap to squeeze through anyway given all the marketing tactics lined up in a row to keep this sh*t breathing

and idiots... errr people looking for afrofuturism will flock to this galactic sh*t, ignoring the last 2 years of backwoods africa Wakanda.

And in 4 issues they will realize there mistake... but by then its too late, you basically guaranteed another year of Coatesverse.

And with the movie come and gone, we are probably done with the constant side books. But then again, only 1 of 4 (wow, crew, long live, rise) was worth a sh*t.

So, as a BP comic fan, our only real hope is that Jason Aaron's Avengers. On a team filled with Cap/IM/Thor/Carol... oh Bast have mercy it might be a long year

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 09:03:33 am »

... how!??

That's just an embarrassment.

Black Panther Annual, and Sound of Fury are catchier titles tho.

Rise of BP likely was unattractive bc it sounde like back in the day stuff while ppl were looking for current.

Plus issue #1 had no BP and was largely a lot of talking. 

But ultimately, the marketing wasn't what it needed to be.  TNC is the one having interviews with the director and star male/female leads. 

Whereas Evans did a kevin smith youtube podcast without kevin smith even being there. yea...

Should have called it Black Panther: Year One

(or did DC copyright that year one stuff?)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 10:15:30 am »
Evan's was sabotaged they kept putting Coates name on sh*t, and promoting his sh*tm Marvel should of said From the start. Rise is a jumping on point for anyone who wants to know who T'Challa is.

I'm so disappointed. Again Coates leeching sh*t Away. We know his season 3 is going to be the sane sh*t smear on Tchalla as usual. Unless digital sales were Better somehow keeping the book going Dammit Evans was doing Bast work too

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 12:31:52 pm »
The thing about Rise is that it never should have been in its current predicametn anyway.

It should have started July, been done by december, and the trade should have been on the shelves by February.

Its whole purpose was to give BP a "year one" that matches with the movie to drag people into comics. Trades at BAM and Barnes do that, not floppies.