Author Topic: T'Challa's Wakandan Outreach Program Appreciation Thread  (Read 7961 times)

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
T'Challa's Wakandan Outreach Program Appreciation Thread
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:27:50 pm »
John Stewart Joins Scott Snyder and Jim Cheung’s Justice League for #1 Relaunch
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/15/john-stewart-scott-snyder-jim-cheung-justice-league-relaunch/

Spike Lee Eyes ‘Nightwatch’ Superhero Movie at Sony

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/spike-lee-nightwatch-movie-1202726717/

Nollywood just released a spin-off of the Black Panther sequel
http://www.pulse.com.gh/bi/strategy/nigerians-produce-wakanda-forever-after-black-panther-release-id8119841.html

Marvel's introductory film to Wakanda superhero Black Panther continues to break records, recently crossing the $1 billion mark in worldwide sales, the studio is confirming that a sequel is definitely on-track to happen.

Nigeria, Africa’s largest economy, is also a cultural powerhouse that boasts the continent’s biggest film industry, known as Nollywood. Lagos is the country’s filmmaking hub.

Just two days ago, Nollywood’s Wakanda Forever was released.

The Nigerian version of Wakanda Forever 1&2 is set in a village in Nigeria and weaves traditional storytelling with juju/voodoo and comedic special effects to explore family and lineage in an African society.

Lil Yachty cast as Green Lantern in Teen Titans Go! movie
https://bamsmackpow.com/2018/03/13/green-lantern-lil-yachty-teen-titans-go-movie/

Comic Book Resources (CBR) covered that mumble rapper, Lil Yachty, is one of two musicians to be cast as DC characters. The second of which is electro-pop singer-songwriter, Halsey, who will play Wonder Woman in the film.

Thanks T'Challa :)

How many leaders you said you needed then left ‘em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, it’s King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: T'Challa's Wakandan Outreach Program Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 08:28:27 pm »
‘Black Panther’ an $84 million economic impact blockbuster for Georgia

https://www.myajc.com/business/black-panther-million-economic-impact-blockbuster-for-georgia/q3o2dBmIagYXkFc4m73rSM/

After months of critical accolades, headlines over record-setting early ticket sales, and talk that this is the Marvel movie to beat, the world is waiting to see just how much cash “Black Panther” will pull in this weekend when it hits movie screens.

But for the Atlanta and Georgia businesses that took part in the production of the film, it’s already a blockbuster for the Peach State.

The filmmakers spent $83.9 million in production of the Atlanta-filmed movie, plunking down millions for caterers, prop makers, sound and visual equipment, hotel rooms and lumber for sets. The movie also had a cast and crew of more than 3,100 people.

“It’s not just about the Georgians who work on the movies,” said Craig Miller, chairman of the Georgia Film, Music and Digital Entertainment Advisory Commission. “The benefits of a film like “Black Panther” help everyone, from operators of the hotel rooms that are rented to the caterers to the people who provide the coolers to cool down a set and the warmers to warm it up.”

The numbers tell the story, industry leaders said. The “Black Panther” filmmakers spent $10.8 million on rental equipment and grips, $9.4 million on lumber, hardware and supplies, $5.6 million lodging and $2 million on transportation, just to name a few revenue benefits.

From its humble beginnings in 2008 when the state first created tax incentives to lure Hollywood to the “capital of the South,” Georgia’s film industry hit a record $2.7 billion in revenue in fiscal 2017 from 320 feature films and television productions, according to the Georgia Department of Economic Developments. That compares to the about $93 million in film revenue the state earned a decade ago.

Among the films and TV projects that put Atlanta one the map over the past decade are marquee titles such as “Hunger Games,” “Spider-man Homecoming,” “Thor: Ragnarok” and Clint Eastwood’s latest “The 15:17 to Paris.” On the small screen, the offerings include “Walking Dead,” the updated “Dynasty” series, “Quad” and the aptly named “Atlanta.”

ut “Black Panther” could hold a special place in Atlanta’s film history. It joins a small but growing list of films featuring a primarily black cast — and black director in Ryan Coogler — that are being honored for a less stereotypical portrayal of blacks while also faring well at the box office. Think “Selma” or “Hidden Figures” as examples.

“A film like “Black Panther” gives great inspiration to everyone who is aspiring to be in the industry but also gives you pride as an African American if you’re not in the industry,” said Kathleen Bertrand, founder of Atlanta’s BronzeLens Film Festival, which focuses on bringing attention to Atlanta as a center for film and film production for people of color.

That has particular resonance because Ava DuVernay, the director of “Selma,” got her start at the BronzeLens festival and recently became for the first woman of color to make a film with a $100 million-plus budget with this spring’s “A Wrinkle in Time.”

“When I’ve got young directors bringing their films to BronzeLens, we want the next Ryan Coogler to bring his film or her film or the next Ava DuVernay to bring her film to give it a platform to be seen,” Bertrand said.

Others said the film cements what already is apparent: Atlanta is the film capital of the South.

Marcus “MJ” Jackson, the founder and owner of Sovereign Board and Production, which protects floors and edifices of houses, buildings and facilities during filming, said there are so many films or TV shows in production that he often finds himself on several different sets a week.

“Most people don’t realize that at least 100-plus people can be in a house or a building when a production comes in,” said Jackson, who was working on a film and television project Wednesday at the Woodruff Arts Center. “We help to make sure we don’t ruin the property.”

LaRonda Sutton, owner of Film City, a consultancy for cities interested in attracting movies, said Atlanta, which in the early days of the city’s career in the movies, was used as prop. It was background for “Any City, U.S.A.”

But today, because of the strength of Georgia’s film industry, it’s a character in films such as “Baby Driver,” “Mother’s Day,” and the “Ride Along” franchise.

“I think Atlanta is no longer trying to get there as a film destination,” said Sutton, who used to run Atlanta’s Office of Film and Entertainment. “We are there.”

Thanks T'Challa  :)

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:32:50 pm »
https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/3/6/17081628/black-panther-oscars-2019-predictions

The case for Black Panther as a 2019 Oscar behemoth

Best Picture

I’m calling it now: The Oscars will nominate Black Panther for Best Picture next year. Whether it’s as a movie that could win the whole thing, or as one of those “just happy to be here” nominees, remains to be seen. But seeing how often Black Panther was referenced at the 2018 Oscars, it’s clear everybody in Hollywood knows this is not just another superhero movie. It’s a cultural phenomenon — and the Oscars love nominating a cultural phenomenon. (See also: Gone With the Wind, The Sound of Music, Jaws, Star Wars, etc., etc., etc.)

The big thing standing in Black Panther’s way is its genre. No superhero movie has ever been nominated for Best Picture, and the expansion to more than five nominees in 2009 happened because The Dark Knight was snubbed for Best Picture that year, despite receiving nominations in eight other categories. And even though Wonder Woman was a similar, if smaller, cultural phenomenon in the summer of 2017, the Oscars snubbed it in every category.

But Black Panther’s secret weapon is its reviews, which are really, really good. If the Oscars need an excuse to get over their squeamishness about the film’s genre, all voters need to do is look at Black Panther’s scores on Rotten Tomatoes (97 percent) and Metacritic (88) to have those tastes validated.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:34:03 pm »
Fukk the oscars tho, don't need nor want they bitchass validation >:(

Just sayin tho, that reach tho

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 01:19:15 am »
It was only a matter of time that John Stewart would get his due after T’Challa cracked that bad boy wide open. Now if only DC can get things in order regarding Milestone.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:00:42 am »
Ava DuVernay to Direct DC’s The New Gods Movie for Warner Bros.

https://www.cbr.com/ava-duvernay-the-new-gods-director/

Thanks T'challa (and coogler)

Offline BlackClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 06:50:52 am »
Ava DuVernay to Direct DC’s The New Gods Movie for Warner Bros.

https://www.cbr.com/ava-duvernay-the-new-gods-director/

Thanks T'challa (and coogler)

Hopefully she'll have an easier time converting New Gods to film than she did with Wrinkle in Time.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 08:02:19 am »
Courtesy of UltimateTy from CBR:

Quote from: UltimateTy;3529660
Cool I guess
https://www.vogue.com/article/black-panther-dora-milaje-comic-series-preview/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Too bad people can't seem to remember it was Okoye, Nakia Be Shuri who were the stars, not Coates pet Characters

Offline BlackClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 08:09:06 am »

Cool I guess
https://www.vogue.com/article/black-panther-dora-milaje-comic-series-preview/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Too bad people can't seem to remember it was Okoye, Nakia Be Shuri who were the stars, not Coates pet Characters

Good to see Okoye is finally out of Limbo. I'm not excited about seeing the Midnight Brats again but hopefully the true leader of the Doras can keep them in line. And at least Nnedi is writing characters she actually wants to write instead of throwing Shade at T'challa.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 08:20:13 am »

Cool I guess

Well that's another dead on arrival failed miniseries to dilute the hard work of our outreach program!

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 08:23:04 am »
Yeah, f*ck this.

Does Marvel REALLY f*cking thing the main people that loved the DM are also Spider-Man fans and not, you know, Black Panther fans?

You think they really wanted to see the DM's in New York and not in Africa and Wakanda? Double fail since "afrofuturism" Nnedi is gonna be stuck writing about NY

You want to showcase Okoye? Put her in the main BP book. She hasn't been name dropped since Priest for Godsake.

Coates and his idiot friend Gay couldn't even have the foresight to put her in the World of Wakanda book as the main teacher or something.

This will fail, and fail hard, as Nnedi has no respect for the star of the mythos at all. She is no better than Gay in that regard. Typical "I can push my own female characters, I don't need no one man" bullsh*t

Black Panther, as a comic character, isn't at the level where you can just throw his supporting cast in other books and expect it to sell. Spider-Man can barely pull that off.

Black Panther mythos are about T'challa. end of discussion.

I hope this fails harder than WoW and the Crew. I'm done with this sh*t.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 08:27:05 am »
I was gonna say some more, but MoS pretty much summarized my expanded thoughts on this to a capital T.

Yeah, f*ck this.

Does Marvel REALLY f*cking thing the main people that loved the DM are also Spider-Man fans and not, you know, Black Panther fans?

You think they really wanted to see the DM's in New York and not in Africa and Wakanda? Double fail since "afrofuturism" Nnedi is gonna be stuck writing about NY

You want to showcase Okoye? Put her in the main BP book. She hasn't been name dropped since Priest for Godsake.

Coates and his idiot friend Gay couldn't even have the foresight to put her in the World of Wakanda book as the main teacher or something.

This will fail, and fail hard, as Nnedi has no respect for the star of the mythos at all. She is no better than Gay in that regard. Typical "I can push my own female characters, I don't need no one man" bullsh*t

Black Panther, as a comic character, isn't at the level where you can just throw his supporting cast in other books and expect it to sell. Spider-Man can barely pull that off.

Black Panther mythos are about T'challa. end of discussion.

I hope this fails harder than WoW and the Crew. I'm done with this sh*t.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 08:28:46 am »

Well that's another dead on arrival failed miniseries to dilute the hard work of our outreach program!

I am so tired of this sh*t. The comics are f*cking hopeless.

The correct response would have been to integrate the popular movie crew into the damn main book.

They ain't got a Bast damn clue. Jerry Krause running the bulls level of stupid. Trying to start a team around Toni freaking Kucoc or something.

CB Shogun Yoshida as failed me.

Offline BlackClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 08:35:32 am »

The correct response would have been to integrate the popular movie crew into the damn main book.

They ain't got a Bast damn clue. Jerry Krause running the bulls level of stupid. Trying to start a team around Toni freaking Kucoc or something.

And to make matters worse, Narcisse doesn't look like he's staying for the franchise. Ugh, just f*ck Coates. f*ck him and all of his cronies.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 08:44:54 am »

To be quite frank, and I really hate to even think like this but the more of this sh*t i see them try and pull, the more i feel Black Panther really needs to stick to non-effeminate black males to write his mytho.  Not that i have personal problem with women, or momma's boy black males in touch with their 'sensitive side' who feel masculinity is the root of all evil... but these super feminists agenda types like Gay, Nnedi, Harvey, and Coates [who just reeks of estrogen]..  ALWAYS pull the same sh*t.  Always the same try-hard mistakes over and over and over. 

Whereas Evans, Coogler, and even going back to Hudlin, McDuffie, and Priest... they embrace the titular character and aren't always looking for ways to get him outta there or to push him to the back for pet characters.  And they showed they are able to do this while being inclusive to the female characters.  I know Priest was a bit wishy washy in that regard but i stand strongly with the other 4 when it comes to that.

But this sh*t we've been seeing the past couple years now... this is like what, the 4th or 5th attempt of this same bullsh*t?  This is f*cking ridiculous