Author Topic: Shaving Tips  (Read 6905 times)

Offline bmagee

• View Profile
Shaving Tips
« on: August 08, 2006, 07:28:58 am »
Anybody know which electric shaver is the best for black men? Last time I tried experimenting one about 10 years ago it gave me bumps. I don't use razors, only because I'm afraid to see bumps that I saw on my father and uncles. Any information will be appreciated.

Ben

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Shaving Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 08:25:05 am »
you should really only use those small miniture clippers is what i call them. like you my one experiance with one of those norelco deals gave me some serious bumpatitis. so i just stick to the mini clippers and while its not as close and you have to do it more often its not as rough on my baby smooth skin. :D

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:34:15 am »

Magic Shave.

If All You Do Is What You've Done, Then All You'll Get Is What You've Got.

Offline bmagee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 08:50:43 am »
yeah might as well stick with the clippers if nobody has better suggestions.

Ben

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 11:28:39 am »
There is a norelco runs about $150.00 that's very good.
Of course mach 5 's are really good use them no more then twice.
Before shaving good skin care, buy products! made specifically for men skin. Clinique has a great line. Trust me it makes a real difference.
Good Luck!!

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:24:22 pm »
First, the "bumps" problem could be due to a skin condition whose name I forget...but it involves ingrown hairs from pretty much any kind of shaving. Second, what you'll need to look into more than what razor you're using is what kind of aftershave you're using, as they make skin creams specifically aimed at preventing skin irritation after shaving.  Third, and this is just a personal preference...you're better off (IMO) using a manual razor. That said, I did find a really good (Norelco?) electric that had these little moisturizer packs that you put into the shaver. Then you could push these buttons while you shaved to distribute the cream while you shaved. Made for a really smooth feeling shave.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 03:05:12 pm »
rollo you are talking about Folliculitis (ingrown hairs) i know because it is a problem that I have I went to a dermatologist and first thing you got to do is KEEP your face clean look for facial cleaning bar with a minimum of 10% Benzoyl Peroxide I tried many different kinds; ie Clearasil, Nuetragena, Nivea, etc. but the best soap I found is called PanOxyl I can only find it at Walmart and it is expensive at almost $ 7 a bar as for the razor I use these disposable razors made especially for bumps (even got a picture of a brother on the package! I don't know the name of them but it's got the word Bumps on it) they are cheap to buy and I will generally use them once then grab a new one. The dermatologist told me to shave in a downward motion and never against the grain as this will cause more ingrown hairs to grow. After washing your faceif you use lotion it should be Cetaphil something with no fragrance or that leaves a greasy film on your face (Grease and Dirt are a big problem with folliculitis. Anyway hope this helps you out.

michaelintp

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:48:21 pm »
Sorry ... can't help ya.  Not for the reason you might think. 

Nope.  I've not shaved for over 10 years. 

You should try it.  Shaving is such an inconvenience.   ;)

CIENCIANO

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 12:05:56 pm »
Sorry ... can't help ya.  Not for the reason you might think. 

Nope.  I've not shaved for over 10 years. 

You should try it.  Shaving is such an inconvenience.   ;)

your beard is pretty ridiculous, cut it off !!

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 12:10:28 pm »

Was that even necessary?  C'mon, man, grow up.  Leave a tip, if not... walk on by.

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 05:24:10 pm »

Was that even necessary?  C'mon, man, grow up.  Leave a tip, if not... walk on by.

Amen!

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 05:30:25 pm »
We (men) need to, IMO, start cleansing. toning and moisturizing our face in order to have a better shave.  In addition, there's a product, facial scrub, that should be used 2-3 times a week in order to unclogged our facial hair pours.  it will not cost a man as much as a car note, but we will need to pay xtra dollars in order to have better shaving / skin methods. 

michaelintp

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 05:34:08 pm »
We (men) need to, IMO, start cleansing. toning and moisturizing our face in order to have a better shave.  In addition, there's a product, facial scrub, that should be used 2-3 times a week in order to unclogged our facial hair pours.  it will not cost a man as much as a car note, but we will need to pay xtra dollars in order to have better shaving / skin methods. 

Hahaha, Zulu, sounds like you should start a series of late-night "infomercials" on this theme -- I can see it now.  We'll have to add those to Sam's BET Lineup!

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 05:41:20 pm »

Hahaha, Zulu, sounds like you should start a series of late-night "infomercials" on this theme -- I can see it now.  We'll have to add those to Sam's BET Lineup!

I'll have a better infomercial then Pro Activ solution and I will used fellow HEF as my B4 and after pics   8)

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 05:46:19 pm »
I sold men's fragrance B4 for 4yrs and many vendors (aramis, clinque) have men's skin care lines to assist men w/ good skin products.  Of course, we can goto the local bookstore (black bookstores) and purchase shea butter soap (w/o the fragrance scent) or any type of cleansing bar soap (w/o alcohol) in order to start the process of taken care of facial skin concerns.