Author Topic: Disney's first black "princess" in film  (Read 73657 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: Disney's first black "princess" in film
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 11:18:50 am »
---no disrespect to Randy Newman.. But considering the film is set in New Orleans.. I would have thought they'd bring in one or more of the Marsalis Brothers for the music..  also the Neville Brothers...
Or any of the hundreds of amazing musicians from New Orleans.  Good point, Hype.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 12:20:35 pm »
Disney: "Oh. We're sorry for the misunderstanding.  Although the character may look black, only non-blacks will be working on this project.  As a matter of fact, we've already cast Anjolina Jolie as The Frog Princess.  Again, sorry for the confusion."

PS: Don't forget to go to you local grocery store and buy our "Little Nemo O's" cereal and 101 Dalmations dogfood.

:D

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 01:00:16 pm »
Disney: "Oh. We're sorry for the misunderstanding.  Although the character may look black, only non-blacks will be working on this project.  As a matter of fact, we've already cast Anjolina Jolie as The Frog Princess.  Again, sorry for the confusion."

PS: Don't forget to go to you local grocery store and buy our "Little Nemo O's" cereal and 101 Dalmations dogfood.

:D

She's playing a multi-cultural role in the Daniel Pearl movie, so she'll have partial experience! LOL

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 11:35:37 pm »
I agree with JLI Jesse, no matter the ethnicity of the "princess", Disney will always paint them and their culture with a broad stroke so that it is palatable and enjoyable for the young ones. And that's cool by me. Likewise I wasn't surpised that Maddy's "fairy godmother" was supposedly an ancient voodoo priestess. Heh, I guess that's why Maddy has her tin foil hat equipped? And I wonder if the FGM will have a Caribbean accent too...?  Oh Disney you so silly,x I adore thee! I'm anxiously awaiting 'The Frog Princess'. :)

They have been trying for a while (I know they had been working on AIDA for some time).

AIDA too? I think that would be awesome.
...Rassclaat.

Jenn

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 08:55:46 am »
I know we do this dance all the time

Yes, and I'm sick of it.

Lessee...a black chambermaid, voodoo practitioners, a plantation owner, a singing alligator, RANDY f*ckING NEWMAN, and a white prince? It's the must-miss of the season!

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 09:42:45 am »
hahahahhahahaha...
i lubb u guhl.

that there was funny.... because i know u truly mean it with that tone you're using.
hahhahah

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 11:17:14 am »

Yes, and I'm sick of it.

Lessee...a black chambermaid, voodoo practitioners, a plantation owner, a singing alligator, RANDY f*ckING NEWMAN, and a white prince? It's the must-miss of the season!

IAWJ. If anything, this is not a new story. We've all seen Hollywood produce live action flicks with the same theme of the <input minority culture here> girl in distress and the shining white price coming to her rescue even from her own people (kind of like how the missionaries sold it to the peoples of color a couple of centuries ago). If it is such a palatable move on Disney's part to do this, I wonder what would happen if for once the prince would be black and the girl in distress that needs saving from her environment and perhaps people was white.  ::)

Thing is, I kind of read this as a way to appease folks for the lack of real support given to the folks (mainly black) that were hit by Katrina in Louisiana. Get there minds off the fact they still can't get the insurance or FEMA money for their destroyed homes, lack of utilities support or the skyrocketing housing prices in the city. Now they can sit their little black baby girls (and boys) down to see how the black girl in distress from their hometown is saved by the white man, yet once again.

Oh yes, I find the idea of this movie extremely palatable.....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 02:29:45 pm by Evasive1 »

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 12:22:06 pm »
They market this stuff to kids, i.e. my daughter who just thinks it is really cool to have a black princess finally. There is no way the young people will see all the B.S. that is associated with this illusion. :-\

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 02:21:45 pm »
They market this stuff to kids, i.e. my daughter who just thinks it is really cool to have a black princess finally. There is no way the young people will see all the B.S. that is associated with this illusion. :-\

This is probably true. But, it doesn't mean the other elements of the story aren't something children won't pick up on. It still can be an influence in the determinations they eventually make as a youngster and as they get older. I think it's good for Disney to have the black princess finally too, but there is still something amiss when the company consistently has a white protagonist that comes to rescue for the minority (whether it be one female or an entire population) in it's animated films.  In fact, children are saturated by this with Disney films and other cartoons. Children do pick up on little things like that, though I can't say I have personally witnessed them pointing out the negative things in the manner an adult would. I have seen it expressed in other forms, though. If the parents aren't exposing the child to other media that shows sometimes minorities come to the rescue of other minorities or others,,i.e. a black prince coming to the rescue of the black princess (Thanks, Reggie for BP and Storm  :) btw), is there any balance to what the child eventually internalizes? This concern really applies to those children where they are practically being raised by the television set with no adult supervision. But, it can apply to others depending on what the parent is exposing the child to. That's why I think you have to give props to those parents that are giving well rounded forms of entertainment and education regardless of the  media to their kids.

We were all kids once. Many of us remember the images we saw as children where white heroes were abundant and the black hero was almost non-existent. Now I'm not saying everybody is affected negatively, but some adults are affected to this day by those images. We had a thread on HEF awhile back that talked about that whole white doll/black doll acceptance thing that was proven to still exist in this day and age. This maybe an extreme example, but I think it still relates to the subject. It's probably a good assumption that most of those children fell into that ideology due to the images they are constantly exposed to just like it was the case decades ago. We shouldn't assume children don't pick up any of the underlying dynamics of the shows they watch. Kids are lot smarter than we give them credit for sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 02:28:38 pm by Evasive1 »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 04:02:59 pm »

Yes, and I'm sick of it.

They have their formula and they're sticking to it by god. Pocahontas made them enough money to justify this move. 

That's how Disney works.

Ethnic princess? We had one in Aladdin.

Randy Newman? Toy Story and Toy Story 2 (At this point, Disney don't leave home without him).

Ethnic Princess/White Prince? Pocahontas.

Its worked before, it'll work again. That's Disney's reasoning in a nutshell.

As for the belief that these images are destructive to women who will wait for a finacally secure man to save them from thier lives, you could just as easily blame Jane Austin for that one too while you're at it. That's a social more that has many branches, I'm afraid.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:05:19 pm by Vic Vega »

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 04:51:46 pm »
^ Do you mean Jane Austen?

Precisely Cheirel. Even Cinderella was a sterotype/generalization of the Middle Ages, no? It's just the Disney way and until then let the kids enjoy themselves because sooner or later most people learn about the real world.  :(
...Rassclaat.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 05:17:39 pm »
^ Do you mean Jane Austen?

Precisely Cheirel. Even Cinderella was a sterotype/generalization of the Middle Ages, no? It's just the Disney way and until then let the kids enjoy themselves because sooner or later most people learn about the real world.  :(

Jane Austen? ???  Oookay....

Cinderella was white thus I'm not sure how this example is the most appropriate for the discussion other than it was the precursor (next to Sleeping Beauty) to all the "damsel in distress" animated movies that Disney has produced. It is the usual formula the company uses and like any business it will continue to do that which makes it money. However, why not try to be a little more sensitive in the formula. Disney already started it by having Pocahontas, Milan and Aladdin. Why not take it step further. If kids don't see the subtleties of the picture and will just enjoy themselves regardless, then why doesn't Disney try something more radical? Other than a black prince or other colored boy coming to the rescue, why not have the black princess come to save the black prince in distress or the Hispanic queen save the Hispanic king, etc. Kids enjoying a film regardless of the racial makeup of the picture is not the real issue of this debate. It's the fact that Disney doesn't step out of that boundary, when it comes to a mixed race or just having all black cast for a romantic children's story. Of course,all of this may all be a moot discussion if their next animated film is a remake of Uncle Remus with humans...er...ah..no. Scratch that. Don't really need to see that either. :P

But hey, I understand what you all are saying. Sometimes parents just have to let their kids be kids. I can't argue too much over that. Afterall, what better way to get the little munchkins out your hair for awhile then to sit them in front of the tv and pop in "Lion King" to settle 'em down. Akuna Ma Tata, baby!!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 05:37:16 pm by Evasive1 »

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 05:56:47 pm »
You make another excellent point Evasive. This is not the first time I've heard someone criticize Disney for the format in which it creates its films. I'm not going to rush to judgement on 'The Frog Princess' as yet, but with voodoo, Jazz, and the like being a part of it, there's a high chance that it will follow the footsteps of the previous princess movies. Perhaps having a black princess is a step in progress (or an attempt to draw in more $$$)? Afterall, wasn't Fa Mulan riding horses and fighting men just as well, if not better, than many of the male characters and wasn't she trying to escape the contraints her society places on females? So how's about we give this film a chance?  :-\
...Rassclaat.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 12:04:13 am »
I'm not going to rush to judgement on 'The Frog Princess' as yet, but with voodoo, Jazz, and the like being a part of it, there's a high chance that it will follow the footsteps of the previous princess movies.
Exactly. Which I believe is the cause of some of the criticism.

Afterall, wasn't Fa Mulan riding horses and fighting men just as well, if not better, than many of the male characters and wasn't she trying to escape the contraints her society places on females? So how's about we give this film a chance?  :-\

Parents are going to take their kids to see this movie, no doubt. So it will get it's chance regardless of the dynamics of the film and regardless of it's critics or praisers. So yes, we just have to sit back and see how it fares.

Jenn

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 12:50:59 am »
If it is such a palatable move on Disney's part to do this, I wonder what would happen if for once the prince would be black and the girl in distress that needs saving from her environment and perhaps people was white.  ::)

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

For the people who feel like "they're just kids", remember the doll test that Kira Davis redid in 2004 or 2005. Watch 15 out of 21 black children choose the white doll over the black doll because it was "pretty" and "good". Then tell me sh*t like this doesn't shape the minds of young black children.