Author Topic: Disney's first black "princess" in film  (Read 68314 times)

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
Re: Disney's first black "princess" in film
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 10:36:10 am »
Disney will make millions on this film. They sell it to the kids and hide enough adult jokes in there that parents don't slit their own throats. Fish, toys, penquins, polka dot princesses it doesn't really matter. They have a formula that really works. C-22 will spend this next few years watching animation :D.
I think that often it depends on how children are raised and their own self worth determines what race and skin color means to them. I remember my daughter crying because someone called her a name ~ I was worried that already or 2004 this was happening to my daughter so when I asked what they called her she said an "African American" I raised an eyebrow and that tomuch time in Jewish and I made left somewhere. So I calmly asked "what do you think you are?" She I'm an American. So I had a discusssion about you do know you are black right? She did but it troubled her more that people had waste time tryind to but identfiers on one another.

As far as dolls she has probably 14 ---6 of the American girl series but her all time favorite doll that has travelled all over the workd that needs a passport is a cheap black (I mean BLACK) plastic funny hair doll named Molly. So I think it's what the child has been exposed to...

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 10:40:39 am »
If it is such a palatable move on Disney's part to do this, I wonder what would happen if for once the prince would be black and the girl in distress that needs saving from her environment and perhaps people was white.  ::)

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

For the people who feel like "they're just kids", remember the doll test that Kira Davis redid in 2004 or 2005. Watch 15 out of 21 black children choose the white doll over the black doll because it was "pretty" and "good". Then tell me sh*t like this doesn't shape the minds of young black children.

Exactly, Jenn.

However, it is true that this usually can be avoided if the parent is involved with exposing the child to other things that show positive forms showing black people (or other folks of color) in general. Black boys can see themselves as saviors (as can Hispanic, Asian or other). Black girls can see themselves as the heroine or being saved by the black boy or whatever. Kids of color are influenced by images at a young age. White kids aren't going to have that problem as the majority of things on TV (animation or not) is truly geared for them. Obviously, even this "Frog Princess" will continue to support the idea with the white person comes to the rescue for the little black girl. Saves her from a black male in fact. Oh, boy. ::)  Not to say a situation cannot happen like that, but our society exposes us with these images every other day. Always has. Price we pay for being here, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:16:51 am by Evasive1 »

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 12:01:23 pm »
When I first read that Disney was making a movie centered around a black princess I thought it was going to take place in Africa and we were going to see a whole new mythology unfold onscreen. Never in a million years did I thought this story would take place in New Orleans (not that there's anything wrong with that). But it would be nice for once if a movie studio like Disney set the story in an African Country and educated kids as well as adults about the continent and address misconceptions via storytelling and characters.

That's the type of Black Princess story I would like to see. Maybe another animation company could take this idea and run with it. 

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 01:24:17 pm »
Bored out of my mind and waiting for class, I decided to look for more info on 'The Frog Princess'. I had the usual eye roll and smirk when I read that along with the Voodoo God-Mama, Maddie's mom was the house brat's nurse maid--how disgusting?--and that Maddie herself was a chambermaid, the last being not that alarming. After all, it's 1920s N'Orleans, one of the only five places that black folks lived, right? I wasn't even mad when I read all that, but it darn near blind me when I discovered that the Prince Harry was a white guy. That was the last straw, Dissssney, why you do that fo'?! Now I have to do some serious back pedalling because it would take too much ignorance for me to defend this. I just can't degrade myself anymore. I swear it's like one step forward and 10 leaps back.

I don't think kids would be traumatized about the Voodoo, the servant status of Maddie's family and what not nor do I think Maddie's character will be a simpleton as Disney has had numerous strong willed female characters. Still, I really didn't know that the Prince was white, this if not everything else speaks volumes. Evasive, my apologies but you were right all along.

::)
...Rassclaat.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2007, 02:00:56 pm »
Well, that pretty much dashed my hopes for this one.  I'll patiently wait for BET animation to do something...anything...please?  :'(

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 02:02:04 pm »
It's okay. Though it's kind of screwed up with the back story, you are right that at least we are finally getting a black princess. Small steps with the media though. Maybe we can get a really good respectable story for all kids to be proud of in the near future.

Damn, Toya. Now you got me feelin' all humble and stuff.  :-[

Hey, I still want to grow up to be like you. How long I gotta go to be an Honorary Wakandan?

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 02:28:05 pm »
It's their way of making it acceptable to cross all ($$$$$) barriers. I never met any people of color that were major animators at Disney. Reg???

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 03:23:31 pm »
It's their way of making it acceptable to cross all ($$$$$) barriers. I never met any people of color that were major animators at Disney. Reg???

I used to work for a Computer Systems (SGI) company that supported a number of the special effects houses and animation companies, including Disney Feature Animation. I was working as a tech support engineer at the time and I was frequently out in Burbank at Disney assisting the tech people with workstations for the animation artists. I never ran across an artist of color, not that I can say there were none, I just don't remember seeing any.

Another interesting thing I remember was that Disney was about to go into production of an animated movie featuring a couple of friends, all black women. I don't remember all the details, but I believe the story involved the women going out on a night on the town and having these weird adventures. I remember coming across some of the design stills of the characters one day while in some artist's office. As I said, I don't remember any artist of color being there and I definitely didn't hear about any black writers for the story. This movie was eventually canceled and production was halted, however. I remember thinking to myself back then how it would be interesting for Disney to come out with an animated picture featuring black people, but now in retrospect, I am concerned how the movie would have turned out.

Does anyone else remember anything about this?  I remember this movie got canceled a little while before Disney went into full production for that other animated movie about Atlantis (I think Michael J. Fox voiced in it). This was maybe about 5 or so years ago I think.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 03:27:06 pm by Evasive1 »

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2007, 06:00:51 pm »
Well Evasive, I try not to argue just for the sake of arguing especially when I realize that I'm wrong. I'm still not clear on what my overall reaction to the final product will be. The only thing I'm certain about is that you'll reach Honorary Wakandan before this film is released. Right?  :)
...Rassclaat.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2007, 07:41:14 pm »
Well Evasive, I try not to argue just for the sake of arguing especially when I realize that I'm wrong. I'm still not clear on what my overall reaction to the final product will be. The only thing I'm certain about is that you'll reach Honorary Wakandan before this film is released. Right?  :)

I'm a trying.  ;D

Jenn

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2007, 06:22:18 pm »
BAM!!!! Y'all speak, I listen.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2007, 03:23:55 am »

On point, Jenn. Nice commentary.  :)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2007, 07:29:08 am »
Nice piece, Jenn.  What's up with the comments from your readers though?  This is why I don't venture outside of HEF much.  The stupid is rampant.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2007, 10:44:00 am »
Really nice post, Jenn!  You had me at "blue and silver and won three Super Bowls in four years. "  If I wasn't married....W0000000! LOL  Anyway, after telling my wife about this and forwarding her your commentary, she's pretty set against seeing this film.  I know Disney's in the business of making money, but I'm not that eager to give them mine for some half-assed attempt at catering to black people.

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2007, 11:00:35 am »

*black thumb up in the air* great article Jenn!  Congrats.  Disney gets the "GAS FACE"!