Author Topic: Disney's first black "princess" in film  (Read 68200 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Disney's first black "princess" in film
« Reply #315 on: March 26, 2010, 02:22:19 pm »
Also, Dr. Facilier felt more like a henchman than an actual #1 villain. I was hoping he'd be right up there with Scar and Jafar and Malificent, but...sadly, no. I also didn't buy how easily and quickly he was able to turn Naveen's aid to his side. If they had simply established they were in some sort of contact (through letters or something) BEFORE, that would have been enough to make it believable. As it stands, everything happened by chance and too easily. Dr. Facilier got REAL lucky. A prince HAPPENS to come by who HAPPENS to have an aid that's sick of him. Yeah right. I was also expecting, I don't know, more from his "Friends on the Other Side" song. Wasn't bad, but wasn't memorable either.

Perhaps you're thinking in terms of positions of power rather than power levels when you see Dr. Facilier.  Let's compare:

Maleficent was a spell caster and can metamorph (into a dragon) not much different from Facilier; he was a master illusionist and a summoner (of dead spirits). Both of them were outcasts of society; Malificent had no real influence over the subjects in that kingdom because all she did was sit around in her castle and sulk.
Dr. Facilier hustled the streets of New Orleans before drugs & alcohol, prostitution and crime ran rampant.  Again, no real position of power from both of them, yet.  

Jafar was the only Disney villian you mentioned who came into real power because he was the Sultan’s advisor and consultant; A politician who can indirectly change policy that can effect huge populations. He can even have someone executed. Combine that power with being a sorcerer and his power level is boosted significantly! Combine that power with the same power as a genie and...!  Well, you know how that story ends. :)

I don’t remember much about Scar because I haven’t seen Lion King in over 10 years but from what I do remember, he was a still a lion. A frail lion but a lion nonetheless and in the ‘great circle of life’ ,  lions are still respected as  ‘top of the food chain’ which is a position of power but there can only be one lion king.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:35:30 pm by Battle »

Offline Afro Samurai

• THE BLACK MAN IS GOD!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 26, 2010, 04:28:24 pm »
It about damn time disney did a movie on a black woman........but now how much longer is gonna be for a black prince? It funny that both the black & native american princess were in interracial relationships. LOL, disney would never did do that with a white girl.
INTERRACIAL RELATIONSHIPS IS A SIN!!!!!! YOU'LL DIE QUICKER AND ALSO BURN IN HELL. THOSE ARE THE FACTS, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2010, 06:59:58 am »
It about damn time disney did a movie on a black woman........but now how much longer is gonna be for a black prince? It funny that both the black & native american princess were in interracial relationships. LOL, disney would never did do that with a white girl.

I dunno... ;D

After reviewing  'Princess & the Frog' last night on DVD, I can count on my left hand two occasions where Charlotte cold rejected the white guys; Once at the costume ball and another when she discovers that Prince Naveen was really his aide. She even suggested going for Prince Naveen's little brother!  ;D 
What do you think? :-\
She did seem to be into the jazz culture that was emerging in New Orleans and that was the most Blackest music in the world at that time.
Also,  consider this:
What white girl do you know that has a black best girlfriend who isn't into the brothas?

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2010, 09:42:06 am »
Also, Dr. Facilier felt more like a henchman than an actual #1 villain. I was hoping he'd be right up there with Scar and Jafar and Malificent, but...sadly, no. I also didn't buy how easily and quickly he was able to turn Naveen's aid to his side. If they had simply established they were in some sort of contact (through letters or something) BEFORE, that would have been enough to make it believable. As it stands, everything happened by chance and too easily. Dr. Facilier got REAL lucky. A prince HAPPENS to come by who HAPPENS to have an aid that's sick of him. Yeah right. I was also expecting, I don't know, more from his "Friends on the Other Side" song. Wasn't bad, but wasn't memorable either.

Perhaps you're thinking in terms of positions of power rather than power levels when you see Dr. Facilier.  Let's compare:

I was thinking neither, actually. When I think of Disney villains who just ooz evil, those are the first three that immediately come to mind. Scar most of all cause he was willing to kill his own brother to get what he want. Maleficent cause all her evil was because she was bitter over not being invited to the baby's Christening. And Jafar just wanted good old fasioned conquest, just Agrabah. Maleficent lied in wait, while Jafar and Scar worked behind the scenes, pretending to be something they weren't (loyal grand vizor to the sultar for Jafar, loyal yet misunderstood brother to Mufasa for Scar), but all with the same goal: striking when the moment was right. And all involved planning.

With Dr. Facilier? No planning, it all happened by chance. He was at the right place at the right time, which seemed very hard for me to swallow. He didn't ooz evil (him stepping on Ray seemed more like he was about to dance with the nose brush and jacket pull), he didn't even really seem smarmy, he came off like a henchmen, even before it came to light he could only use powers he was allowed to by the Shadows. Rule of thumb, don't show the villain beg so early in the flick, which is essentially what he did with those three heads (side note: one of the few things I had a problem with with all cuts of "Legend", in the script Darkness sounds helpless when talking to his father, and this is the FIRST time we see him). You need to establish a powerful threat or something that can lead to that early on. Show them petty, sure, but not cowering or answering to someone (really answering, not pretending like Jafar).

Also like the three I mentioned, they had real motivations borne out of being connected to the heroes in some way. Jafar by way of Aladdin's father, Scar by being Simba's father's brother and therefore his uncle, and Maleficent from not being invited to Aurora's christening. Facilier had no connection with anyone, and I'm wondering if this is a first for a Disney movie. He's more a plot point to facilitate the main characters changing into frogs than anything else. Had he corresponded with Lawrence in some manner, or heck if he knew Tiana's father in some way, or SOMETHING, it would have went a long way.

They could have done more with Dr. Facilier, but then again they could have done a lot with the rest of the movie, too. The only time I felt he was used effectively was right at the end, when he metaphorically became the devil tempting Tiana with what she wanted most.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2010, 10:28:03 am »
Not sure how I feel about Ray, though. An onscreen death [sort of], even with his "resurrection" I wonder if that was a bit much for kids? This is the first movie of its kind, with a black heroine, not sure if something so dark should have been included. Such things can turn kids and parents away.

Wow, really?  ??? As compared to other Disney flicks? I recall the forest scene in Snow White being very damn frightening, along with the Witch popping outta nowhere towards Snow White. Hell, in Tarzan, Clayton gets lynched and we actually see the shadow of this whole process. How about Bambi's mom getting shot? I recall a TON of people (my friends) in tears when that scene shows up. And let me not forget Hunchback of Notre Dame, the priest lusting after Esmeralda and even singing about his sexual desire for her and the beginning when he's about to kill the baby and have the statues all looking upon him was creepy as all hell.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 27, 2010, 10:38:50 am »
Not sure how I feel about Ray, though. An onscreen death [sort of], even with his "resurrection" I wonder if that was a bit much for kids? This is the first movie of its kind, with a black heroine, not sure if something so dark should have been included. Such things can turn kids and parents away.

Wow, really?  ??? As compared to other Disney flicks? I recall the forest scene in Snow White being very damn frightening, along with the Witch popping outta nowhere towards Snow White. Hell, in Tarzan, Clayton gets lynched and we actually see the shadow of this whole process. How about Bambi's mom getting shot? I recall a TON of people (my friends) in tears when that scene shows up. And let me not forget Hunchback of Notre Dame, the priest lusting after Esmeralda and even singing about his sexual desire for her and the beginning when he's about to kill the baby and have the statues all looking upon him was creepy as all hell.

The next to last sentence of the paragraph you quoted from me is the most important. While you have a point with your response, this movie is the first of its kind, having a black princess. Since they're not churning them out every other year, you want the FIRST to do all it can to make MONEY so there can be more. Take chances like that with the ones that follow, not with the first. I'm not sure if that's THE reason or ONE of the reason The Princess and the Frog didn't make a flop, or if its a reason at all, but my point is why stack the deck against the first of its kind?

EDIT: And wow, I notice I repeated myself, since my response was also in the very paragraph you quoted. Did you not see that, or did you see it but not agree with it?  ???
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:41:45 am by BPStorm4ever »
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #321 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04:59 pm »
Just showed up for insta queue on Netflix.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline ashleyy

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 19, 2010, 10:55:16 pm »
Disney movies are always and i love to watch them and now first black princess in the movie is a great news and i expecting lot from this movie.
Watch ESPN Live >>

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 19, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »
Disney movies are always and i love to watch them and now first black princess in the movie is a great news and i expecting lot from this movie.

Really Ashleyy?  You haven't seen the movie yet?  Or are you a robot?