Author Topic: Disney's first black "princess" in film  (Read 70354 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline BarbaraB

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: Disney's first black "princess" in film
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 09:45:29 am »
Took them long enough.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:06:17 am »
Dang, I wanted to beat them to it, but it's all good.  Glad they finally figured it out.  They have been trying for a while (I know they had been working on AIDA for some time).

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 12:30:05 pm »
Dang, I wanted to beat them to it, but it's all good.  Glad they finally figured it out.  They have been trying for a while (I know they had been working on AIDA for some time).

hmm.. maybe we've got a BET black princess film on the way?  Neat! looking forward to whatever comes--   :)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:55:32 pm »
They did have an Arab princess with Jasmine in Aladdin.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 02:14:07 pm »
yeah... they brought her up in the msn story.

*looks at Reggie Reg*

Is this unannounced nonexistant black princess movie Disney-like or Xena-like?

8)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 02:24:33 pm »

Posted by: JLI Jesse  

They did have an Arab princess with Jasmine in Aladdin.

And an Asian heroine with Mulan, a Native American heroine with Pocahontas and a  Pacific American heroine in "Lilo and Stich".

They've been moving in this direction for a while now.

AIDA's right up Disney's alley, once they figure out how to give it a happy ending. ;) In the linked photo it looked the character design was hand drawn rather than CGI.

That's another reason to celebrate right there. The kind of hand skills that can create a Aladdin or a Beauty and the Beast was rapidly becoming obsolete due to Pixar's ascension in the industry.

Good news on all fronts.

You'll get 'em next time Reg.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 09:59:36 am »
Randy Newman on the piano.

NEW ORLEANS - The Walt Disney Co. has started production on an animated musical fairy tale called “The Frog Princess,” which will be set in New Orleans and feature the Walt Disney Studio’s first black princess.

The film, set for release in 2009, also is the first hand-drawn film Disney has committed to since pledging last month to return to the traditional animation that made it a worldwide brand.

“The Frog Princess,” a musical scored by composer Randy Newman, is “an American fairy tale” starring a girl named Maddy who lives in the French Quarter in New Orleans, said John Lasseter, chief creative director for Disney and Pixar Animation Studios.

Another character concept drawing.

I can't believe I may  finally  see black characters in a Disney animated feature film. Yes, I know 'Songs of the South' was considered a milestone but it wasn't exactly flattering. It is also a movie the Disney company would want to strike away from thier records, but what is done ...is done

I'm sure with the positive influence of Bruce W. Smith on the Disney payroll helped opening up new possibilities and dynamics in Disney feature films because I absolutely loved 'The Emporer's New Groove'. Mr. Smith was supervising animator for the Pancha character. If Eartha Kitt was Disney's first black (among a number of 'firsts') villainess in Groove, she was damned good!

Say, Mr. Hudlin... You've worked with Mr. Bruce W. Smith before on 'Bebe Kids', Is there any chance you'd work with him again?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:10:13 am by Battle »

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 10:22:11 am »
Honestly, this is the best kind of film Disney could've put out for me and my family.  My wife is VERY conscious of the lack of black faces on the Disney stuff that's all over the baby/infant/girls sections of store we go to.  She wouldn't let me buy the Cinderella/Snow White wall clings or the Cinderella crib set.  I understand where she's coming from because she wants our child to see faces that look like hers and this Frog Princess movie is right up our ally.  Come on Reg!!  Get BET in gear on a series or series of movies like this...we're a HUGELY untapped market waiting to spend these dollars on stuff like that!!

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 10:34:19 am »
Honestly, this is the best kind of film Disney could've put out for me and my family.  My wife is VERY conscious of the lack of black faces on the Disney stuff that's all over the baby/infant/girls sections of store we go to.  She wouldn't let me buy the Cinderella/Snow White wall clings or the Cinderella crib set.  I understand where she's coming from because she wants our child to see faces that look like hers and this Frog Princess movie is right up our ally.  Come on Reg!!  Get BET in gear on a series or series of movies like this...we're a HUGELY untapped market waiting to spend these dollars on stuff like that!!

I just don't hope you deny your kids these movies.  They might not look like them, but Snow White and Cinderella are classic movies for all kids!

Jenn

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 11:53:46 am »
This is going to be a hot, sh*tty mess. And my children won't be exposed to lily-white women sitting on their asses wishing for their princes to come, either.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:58:13 am by Jenn »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 11:54:41 am »
i knew jenn would be showing her support for this project.
;)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 12:06:44 pm »
This is going to be a hot, sh*tty mess. And my children won't be exposed to lily-white women sitting on their asses wishing for their princes to come, either.

jenn,

I know we do this dance all the time, but whats wrong with a story about Cinderella, someone who is basically an indentured servant and treated like crap, finally getting her chance to shine and finding love?  She's not sitting on her ass, she's trying to make the best of a crappy situation.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 12:30:12 pm »

I just don't hope you deny your kids these movies.  They might not look like them, but Snow White and Cinderella are classic movies for all kids!

I guess that's a matter of opinion.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 02:03:17 pm »
---no disrespect to Randy Newman.. But considering the film is set in New Orleans.. I would have thought they'd bring in one or more of the Marsalis Brothers for the music..  also the Neville Brothers...