Author Topic: finally saw Superman Returns  (Read 11061 times)

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
finally saw Superman Returns
« on: August 08, 2006, 08:21:03 am »
talk about a sweeping majestic epic of a superhero movie.  This movie was great, there was a lot of awe inspiring jaw dropping scenes that showed Superman's greatness, lifting that huge land mass that was half made of kryptonite and could have been a continent being my favorite, wow!  I also liked how the movie showed as great as Superman is he's not too bright (stupid farm boy) but I especially liked the odes to the classic comic books and Christopher Reeves.  The scene that adapted the cover to Superman's first appearance in Action Comics was great and the comment he made about flying being the safest form of travel and of course the last scene where he is flying in space above earth ala Reeves, fantastic!  Best of all it's a movie the kids could watch.  Loved Kevin Spacey as well.  Superman's son was a pleasent surprise as well.  Question though, this takes place after Superman 2 correct?  Just wondering, because no events in Superman 2 are mentioned in any of the prequel comics.

What are your thoughts on the movie?
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: finally saw Superman Returns
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:45:57 pm »
I talk about the flick a little on my blog:  www.hypestyleshomebase.blogspot.com
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:02:52 pm »
I still was disappointed. It had some good parts. I had no problem with the casting, loved Lex Luthor. But I didn't see any concrete direction in this long film. That comment about flying still being the safest transport was probably the only message he ever said in the film.

Anyway, I've got to get back to watching R.O.D. the TV series.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:31:35 am »
I loved it.

By the way, did anyone notice the date Lois wrote her Why We Don't Need Superman article?

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 09:08:26 am »
I loved it.

By the way, did anyone notice the date Lois wrote her Why We Don't Need Superman article?

no, what's the science?  And Open Palm, what's ROD?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230016510400&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 09:57:44 am by True Father Allah »

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 06:15:58 pm »
And Open Palm, what's ROD?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=819
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1989

Here's a clip:
  :)
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:16:33 am »
I loved it.

no, what's the science?  And Open Palm, what's ROD?
It was published the day before Valentine's Day.  :'( If Supes had just sent her a card, maybe she wouldn't have written it. Hell hath no fury like a journo scorned. ;)

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman

sunjata

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 12:57:16 pm »
I liked the movie and thought it was very good.  I actually saw the 3D version the opening weekend in the Imax Theater.  I just have two problems.  Supes needed to have a powerful villain he could actually fight and the actress that played Lois was all wrong for the part.   

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 07:29:54 am »
I liked the movie and thought it was very good.  I actually saw the 3D version the opening weekend in the Imax Theater.  I just have two problems.  Supes needed to have a powerful villain he could actually fight and the actress that played Lois was all wrong for the part.   
If Lex still has the Kryptonite shank with Supes' blood on it, maybe a Bizarro clone for the next movie? Otherwise, Brainiac would work, maybe Lex could create him from aleft-over fragment of Kryptonian crystal.

-Harriet Tubman

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 08:09:00 am »
They better use somebody. But I don't think I'd watch it anyway. I can always watch Dragonball Z for the super brawls.

sunjata

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 08:15:51 am »
If Lex still has the Kryptonite shank with Supes' blood on it, maybe a Bizarro clone for the next movie? Otherwise, Brainiac would work, maybe Lex could create him from aleft-over fragment of Kryptonian crystal.
Since it still hasn’t (last I heard) cracked the 200 million mark domestically it is considered a disappointment and any sequel will probably have a much smaller budget.  I hope they will be able to make a sequel with a good villain. 

Many movie goers I talked to were disappointed.  They seemed to have expected more action, more humor and a shorter running length.  I think that the general audience has been trained to expect certain things from big budgeted summer blockbusters and some think this film was lacking.  As I stated before, I liked the film.  I liked the serious tone of the movie and the length didn’t bother me but I do believe the same story could have been told using less time.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 11:02:46 am »
They seemed to have expected more action, more humor and a shorter running length.  I think that the general audience has been trained to expect certain things from big budgeted summer blockbusters and some think this film was lacking.  As I stated before, I liked the film.  I liked the serious tone of the movie and the length didn’t bother me but I do believe the same story could have been told using less time.
Agreed on all points here.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 11:11:38 am by Wise Son »

-Harriet Tubman

sunjata

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 07:18:20 pm »

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 10:43:37 am »
I think Superman villians are lame, (ZOD was cool though)  So for a regular human being trying to come up with ways to defeat him is always going to be interesting.  With his powers ANY "super" villian trying to best him is just wasted ideas.  Part of the reason why I liked the movie so much was there was no supervillian and it focused on Superman helping and saving people.  To me that is the heart of what a Superman movie should revolve around and the true definition of a super man...even though he's alien.  The obstacle is can Superman save everybody every time.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 12:11:08 pm »
Part of the reason why I liked the movie so much was there was no supervillian and it focused on Superman helping and saving people.  To me that is the heart of what a Superman movie should revolve around and the true definition of a super man...even though he's alien.  The obstacle is can Superman save everybody every time.
Interesting point.

-Harriet Tubman