Author Topic: finally saw Superman Returns  (Read 11067 times)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: finally saw Superman Returns
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 03:13:53 pm »
Part of the reason why I liked the movie so much was there was no supervillian and it focused on Superman helping and saving people.  To me that is the heart of what a Superman movie should revolve around and the true definition of a super man...even though he's alien.  The obstacle is can Superman save everybody every time.
Interesting point.

I like seeing him save people too. I don't think fighting powerhouses are his best trait.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 09:27:04 am »
Part of the reason why I liked the movie so much was there was no supervillian and it focused on Superman helping and saving people.  To me that is the heart of what a Superman movie should revolve around and the true definition of a super man...even though he's alien.  The obstacle is can Superman save everybody every time.
Interesting point.

I like seeing him save people too. I don't think fighting powerhouses are his best trait.

mmm, the ending seeing him save the city was just......wow.  Can't wait to get this on dvd, I'm going to skip to that part first, and I would love to have a poster of him holstering that land mass on his shoulders Atlas style.  Is there any question that he is the greatest super hero.  No one else could have done what he did at the end of that movie.  Remember the end of Batman Beigins?  If Gotham had Superman he would have saved that city in 10 seconds, PEACE
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 05:12:58 pm »
Yes, that was amazing how he lifted a whole land mass made mostly of Kryptonite during an overcast day.

Didn't anyone think this was a lack-luster re-tread of the first Superman (land mass scheme cooked up by LL, Sup and Lois go flying around the city, Sup saves a plane vs. a helo, stopping bank robbers?) 

I was very disappointed by this movie (for all the hype it was getting pre-release).

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 01:38:41 am »
mmm, the ending seeing him save the city was just......wow.  Can't wait to get this on dvd, I'm going to skip to that part first, and I would love to have a poster of him holstering that land mass on his shoulders Atlas style.  Is there any question that he is the greatest super hero.  No one else could have done what he did at the end of that movie.  Remember the end of Batman Beigins?  If Gotham had Superman he would have saved that city in 10 seconds, PEACE
The bit at the end with the whole continent had me literally shouting, 'No! He isn't!" ;D
Didn't anyone think this was a lack-luster re-tread of the first Superman (land mass scheme cooked up by LL, Sup and Lois go flying around the city, Sup saves a plane vs. a helo, stopping bank robbers?) 
Luthor's obsession with Real Estate was the only part that was possibly weak, but they also went in to his motivation a bit, and it made sense (You can't argue with him, land is the only thing they can't make more of). And though some bits were retreads, I didn't find them tired at all. Lex's land mass scheme was suitably dramatic, as well as giving him an opportunity to get some sadistic revenge, the flying scene with Lois was meant to be reminiscent of the first film (Supes saying '[He can take you flying, but]not like this'), and the mini-gun bank robber scene was a thing of beauty.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, I loved it.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 02:29:38 am »
Yes, that was amazing how he lifted a whole land mass made mostly of Kryptonite during an overcast day.

I was very disappointed by this movie (for all the hype it was getting pre-release).

it was like an updated remake.  Kind of like Peter Jackson did with King Kong.  I loved the opening credits.

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 02:32:40 am »
The bit at the end with the whole continent had me literally shouting, 'No! He isn't!" ;D
Luthor's obsession with Real Estate was the only part that was possibly weak, but they also went in to his motivation a bit, and it made sense (You can't argue with him, land is the only thing they can't make more of). And though some bits were retreads, I didn't find them tired at all. Lex's land mass scheme was suitably dramatic, as well as giving him an opportunity to get some sadistic revenge, the flying scene with Lois was meant to be reminiscent of the first film (Supes saying '[He can take you flying, but]not like this'), and the mini-gun bank robber scene was a thing of beauty.

I want to check it in the theatre again without my kids, hehehe.  I think it is beautiful how I grew up on ish like Star Wars and Superman and my son gets to do the same.  He loved that Superman movie.  What about Superman's son, that came out of left field, I knew nothing about that before seeing the movie and it had been out for a while.  Lois is scandalous, feel sorry for dude who thinks it's his son when he finds out.  I guess his two scenes in X3 was punishment for going to the other side, ha ha

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 02:55:51 am »
Luthor's obsession with Real Estate was the only part that was possibly weak, but they also went in to his motivation a bit, and it made sense (You can't argue with him, land is the only thing they can't make more of).
It made sense but we've already seen it -- for 150 mil I would think we'd want all the originality we could handle...then some.

the flying scene with Lois was meant to be reminiscent of the first film (Supes saying '[He can take you flying, but]not like this'),
I got that much, but I don't know... what -- cause it looked better than C. Reeves and M. Kidder back in '78-9 we needed to see it again? I found myself yawning.

and the mini-gun bank robber scene was a thing of beauty.
Okay, they answered the life long question -- "why doesn't anyone ever shoot SM in the face?" I admit -- bullet off the eye - cool but it wasn't enough.

SM is a tough character to empathize with -- you never quite feel like he may fail --  esp. when he's squaring off against mere mortals -- f**k, he's Super Man! And I thought Spacey was underused -- the part just wasn't big enough for him -- that guy's a genius -- he kills just about all he touches and he had no one to play off of... no one. Maybe I'm too tough a critic.  SpiderMan 2... best comic-movie to date, IMO.  I think Super Man needs to go away... and return again :-[

Me too -- glad you liked though.

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 03:21:20 am »
Luthor's obsession with Real Estate was the only part that was possibly weak, but they also went in to his motivation a bit, and it made sense (You can't argue with him, land is the only thing they can't make more of).
It made sense but we've already seen it -- for 150 mil I would think we'd want all the originality we could handle...then some.

the flying scene with Lois was meant to be reminiscent of the first film (Supes saying '[He can take you flying, but]not like this'),
I got that much, but I don't know... what -- cause it looked better than C. Reeves and M. Kidder back in '78-9 we needed to see it again? I found myself yawning.

and the mini-gun bank robber scene was a thing of beauty.

best comic book movie?  I'll go with the Crow or the first Blade.
Okay, they answered the life long question -- "why doesn't anyone ever shoot SM in the face?" I admit -- bullet off the eye - cool but it wasn't enough.

SM is a tough character to empathize with -- you never quite feel like he may fail --  esp. when he's squaring off against mere mortals -- f**k, he's Super Man! And I thought Spacey was underused -- the part just wasn't big enough for him -- that guy's a genius -- he kills just about all he touches and he had no one to play off of... no one. Maybe I'm too tough a critic.  SpiderMan 2... best comic-movie to date, IMO.  I think Super Man needs to go away... and return again :-[

Me too -- glad you liked though.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 03:27:59 am »
Mr. Wright, I do agree that tying it so closely to the original movies was not the way they might have gone. Nearly 20 years had passed, maybe it was time for a reimagining.
What about Superman's son, that came out of left field, I knew nothing about that before seeing the movie and it had been out for a while. Lois is scandalous, feel sorry for dude who thinks it's his son when he finds out.
Lois didn't know that it was Superman's son. Lois doesn't eevn know she slept with Superman, remember he mind-wiped her at the end of Superman II with a Rohypnol kiss?

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 03:49:31 am »
Mr. Wright, I do agree that tying it so closely to the original movies was not the way they might have gone. Nearly 20 years had passed, maybe it was time for a reimagining.
What about Superman's son, that came out of left field, I knew nothing about that before seeing the movie and it had been out for a while. Lois is scandalous, feel sorry for dude who thinks it's his son when he finds out.
Lois didn't know that it was Superman's son. Lois doesn't eevn know she slept with Superman, remember he mind-wiped her at the end of Superman II with a Rohypnol kiss?

dang, you're right.  I liked the part when his son looked at Supes on tv then at Clark and started hyper ventilating.

sunjata

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 05:51:10 am »
As I stated before I enjoyed the movie but thought it needed a worthy adversary besides Lex.  I do not think that would have taken away from the great characterization of his alienation from humanity that was captured so beautifully in the sequences where he floats over the Earth listening to all the cries for help knowing he cannot answer them all.  He cannot be a true part of humanity if he is going to be the savior of humanity.

I think that a worthy adversary could have strengthened this characterization.  In the first Spider-Man movie Green Goblin selfishness and corporate greed was contrasted with Spidey’s self-sacrifice and his desire to serve mankind making his characterization stronger.  The physical confrontation between the two adversaries represents that struggle between ideologies. 

In “Superman Returns” Lex was basically portraying the Satan role to Supes Jesus.  There needed to be more of a journey taken by each character that leads to a confrontation that defines where their journeys have led them.  Unlike the Goblin we do not see Lex on his journey.  He starts out evil and with no humanity left at the very beginning of the movie.   
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:54:52 am by Sunjata »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 11:23:29 am »
Expand Supes' cinematic rogues.. I want to see Darkseid and/or Brainiac in the next film.. Maybe the Parasite, as a lesser villain/henchman..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 01:19:40 pm »
best comic book movie?  I'll go with the Crow or the first Blade.
Oh, man -- I LIKE these movies, I truly do (and don't even get me started on the Crow -- whenever I think about the accident I become increasingly pissed) but I've always liked sequels -- I feel we've cut through all the...getting to know you bit and now we focus on the true character and I feel Spidey 2 just has this angle in spades -- we really get to the heart of PP and what makes him who he is.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 05:13:31 am »

no, what's the science?  And Open Palm, what's ROD?

O.T. Holy sh*te! I've watched episode 14. Now I know what the secret British Library was about! They were planning to resurrect the British Empire through control of information and preservation of Britain's greatest genius!

I say let it stay dead!! Death to the imperialists! I spit on them! Ptew! Ptew! >:(
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 07:05:53 am »

According to the director, Bryan Singer, she did know she slept with Supes. The first two movies are set in a "vague history" so it's a continuation...but not a "direct continuation.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics