Author Topic: Racism in Black Panther fandom  (Read 16800 times)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Racism in Black Panther fandom
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:25:49 pm »
I'm kinda curious as to when anti-white prejudice became acceptable in this forum?

To my knowledge, we've lost two prominently knowledgeable posters from this forum due to blatantly negative comments made moreso to one of them based on his being white.

This kind've crap should have no place in this forum and the mods really need to nip issues like this in the bud quickly.

Beware of Geek deserved better.

Offline mrkareemruiz

• View Profile
Re: Racism in Black Panther fandom
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 06:38:36 pm »
No one was being racist to anyone. Black people can't be racist because racism is bias + power. Black can't make anyone do anything.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:14:20 pm »
Were the post reported to the moderator and is there a way to block seeing the offenders post in the future?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:16:08 pm by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:04:04 pm »
I agree. It's Very unacceptable as the HEF since I have been here has been free of that type of crap
 Everyone here had an opinion and sometimes it's may get heated debates, but never have I seen this type of stuff happen here.

I made it a point to lead Nan Exodus of posters nhere from CBR to get away from that and somehow it's started to rear it's ugly head here (though I congratulate those who stood up for beware of geek as that was completely unacceptable treatment) and driving posters away from likely the best place for Black panther fans to post and hang out.

I'm hoping we can get those posters back as they have actually contributed to alot of interesting discussions and derserved better then to be driven off by hate and racism

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: "ist", "ism" Period
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 04:48:20 am »

In Europe, EVERYONE is Nationalist
In Africa EVERYONE is Tribulist
And I don't get the Koreas
But here in America
EVERYONE

Is racist
Is "Racism"
Bad
?

Doesn't matter what everyone is, it matters you are.

If anyone feels that they are superior to someone because of the color of their skin they sound exit this forum immediately.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 07:04:23 am »
It's unacceptable and the HEF has avoided it for a long time. It doesn't need to rear it's head. At the HEF it's not black or white or Latino or whatever. It's brother and sister Wakandans period.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:57:52 am »
Were the post reported to the moderator and is there a way to block seeing the offenders post in the future?

It should have been. I typically abhor moderation, but moving forward I see there may need to be a more proactive approach in utilizing the moderators, because this faux pro-blackness bullsh*t I've seen used as an excuse to throw around hate-speech at posters and "lecture" everyone on why it's "ok" to do so, is embarrassing.

This subforum served as a cool safe haven [esp for black folks, but not limited to us] to nerd out on BP while discussing certain sociopolitical issues in the comic industry, but to have arguably our biggest contributor and biggest curator of BP knowledge in MoS bounce from the increased toxicity that came after he essentially stood up for a white poster being bullied for being white... jesus f*cking christ.

I don't know [or care] who all these old or new nyggas are popping up but what i do know is that for the better part of a year there's been relative peace and harmony here despite the dysfunction in the books [and in CBR]... but now that the record breaking movie we've all been waiting for drops, this stuff happens?  ???  Yea, whether it be bluezulu or just Mr. Hudlin himself, this is a thread topic I'd be curious to get their thoughts on.
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:24:45 am »
We're supposed to be different from all the bullsh*t on CBR.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 09:38:49 am »
I come back from dealing with life and I see sh*t went off the rails here

WTF

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 10:22:50 am »
Yeah if we can get brother bluezulu or Rh or any other mod that can do something that would be a great help. What should be a glorious time to be a BP fan has been hate when everyone should be more unified then ever that BP had made it. We need to be better then the other forum's

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 10:49:24 am »
Okay, just catching up to this controversy. I didn't read every post on every thread, but I say a statement that I strongly disagree with.

I hate when people say that black people can't be racist. 

Humans can be anything. 

And the idea that black people are a) powerless and b) therefore can't be racist is really silly to me. 

Every human being has power.  You don't need money, or other people to make change.  Think of the man in China who stood in front of the tanks.  Think of MLK and a million other people, famous or not, who changed the world. 

Second, why would you seek to embrace powerlessness as a "get out of jail free" card in regards to behavior?

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 12:13:02 pm »
Chris Rock talking to Charlie Rose on PBS
Requested his HBO audiences be largely Black
Chris said that Blacks laugh with their whole body
Then he noted that Whites laughed from the neck up
Charlie Rose then played some videos showing exactly that
What was just as obvious was that the Whites were a bit scared
Fun Fact: No one in American history, respected outside their neighborhood
Has ever admitted being racist as we've awaited the "post racial" since April in 1865

What does any of what you've typed here have to do with the fact that two valued members of this forum have now quit over blatantly anti-white racial abuse/stereotyping?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 12:17:53 pm »
Okay, just catching up to this controversy. I didn't read every post on every thread, but I say a statement that I strongly disagree with.

Humans can be anything. 

And the idea that black people are a) powerless and b) therefore can't be racist is really silly to me. 

Every human being has power.  You don't need money, or other people to make change.  Think of the man in China who stood in front of the tanks.  Think of MLK and a million other people, famous or not, who changed the world. 

Second, why would you seek to embrace powerlessness as a "get out of jail free" card in regards to behavior?

Exactly!  All of this, especially the bold.
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 04:57:26 pm »

Humans can be anything. 

And to make matters worse, it's not as if any of the guilty parties poat anything insightful or of worth in this forum.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 05:04:53 pm »

Humans can be anything. 

And to make matters worse, it's not as if any of the guilty parties poat anything insightful or of worth in this forum.

In fact, said parties come in to specifically troll and harass certain posters for no reason, derailing conversation and tossing insults before leaving to troll  another day.

Hopefully something can be done about the guilty parties and the ones who were targetted can come back.