Author Topic: Should T'Challa learn more magic/mystic arts?  (Read 5533 times)

Offline BlindWedjat

• View Profile
Should T'Challa learn more magic/mystic arts?
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:09:49 am »
I know I tend to ramble a lot so I'll try and keep it short: Do you think T'Challa should dabble in the mystic arts to enhance his current power and skill set?

I don't particularly like the idea of hand-waving, lightning and coloured energy blasts type magic (similar to Doctor Strange and other type mystics) for T'Challa as he is a physical warrior, so I was thinking of something that feels a little more ritualistic, or enhances/goes in line with his current powers.

We know T'Challa currently possesses some mystical abilities, mainly from the KotD stuff. From what I can recall, that includes calling on zombie/spirit warriors, communing with past Black Panthers, soul-stalking (which I think how it's been shown makes it feel useless), and some spirit spear thing.

Out of those, I'll keep the communing with past Black Panthers and the soul-stalk. However, I've been thinking the former should feel more like a ritual (as shown in the Black Panther movie) that T'Challa has to do for the communion. I like the idea of it being a ritual as it feels a little bit more spiritual in that manner (though having to do it every time for advice may seem like too much work).

Regarding the soul-stalk, I like it as it is in concept, but I think I'll also add/change it to be that T'Challa can sense mystical energies and can track them. Avengers: EMH introduced the idea that T'Challa could 'see' magical energy based on a ritual Wakandan shamans performed on him, so I'll also add that. But there needs to be good situations for T'Challa to use it. Using it on a regular human being who sweats, breathes and walks on ground makes no sense. For instance, if a mystic or being has performed a series of teleportations, T'Challa can track those teleportations if his enhanced physical senses cannot.

Now, as for new additions, here are some I have come up with:

Blades of Bast

This 'spell' allows T'Challa to summon the panther goddess Bast's blades, which she used to fight Apep/Apophis. I've been thinking of having these replace T'Challa's energy daggers altogether. While Priest gave the energy daggers the ability to act as trackers, I think with T'Challa's already enhanced sense of smell and adding the soul tracking thing, he doesn't need that.

The blades are two large daggers with panther head hilts as default. They should have longer reach than a typical dagger in order to not feel redundant. T'Challa can use them in this manner as melee weapons for close combat. The blades can also morph in large claw gauntlets (might not include this), thrown daggers, and a staff/spear/scythe (think the energy daggers in EMH).

The blades do physical damage but their greater advantage is in mystical/magical damage (I'll think specifically on what that means later on). T'Challa crossing his arms together creates an energy shield that can block/cancel mystical energy attacks or spells. This makes them better for fighting extradimensional beings, deities, cosmic beings and other mythical beings if he needs too. They can also be used to open portals (to other dimensions, to Necropolis etc).

The appear first as an Ancient Egyptian hieroglyph or Wakandan alphabet/symbol for "knife" above T'Challa's palms as he holds them out at his sides shoulder height, then form as he crosses his arms. Some visual cues and references below.

Fist/Paw/Strike/Claws of the Panther God(dess)/Bast (still working on the name lol)

This 'spell' allows T'Challa to summon the mighty fists of Bast. Think of it as either a massive open paw attack with claws out on. They appear as holograms or energy constructs on either of T'Challa's fists as he uses them to attack his opponents. Or the fist appears out of nowhere as a massive swipe attack, damaging multiple opponents at once, as a one-off. Mystical and physical damage.

Panther's Teeth

I know big cats tend to use their jaws and teeth to suffocate their prey, so I based this next spell on that concept. It allows T'Challa to summon the Panther goddess's powerful jaws and teeth to entrap, harm, and even torture an opponent. The spell manifests as a big hologram/energy construct than fade in and out as they 'bite' the opponent. The opponent is suspended in their place, unable to move as the spell damages their soul and physical being. Should be used on enemies like Galactus and other extradimensional beings and demons. Visual reference below.

Blessing of the Black Panther habit

Instead of giving T'Challa a separate set of armour that is "thrice-blessed" or whatever, why not have that blessing be put on T'Challa's default Vibranium suit? For starters, I'd simplify the suits functions to it being made of Vibranium nanotechnology that sits with the necklace, with Vibranium claws in the finger slots and Anti-Metal claws in between the knuckles, soles on the feet that absorb sound, built-in Kimoyo OS interface in the suit, and lenses that aid his enhanced vision. But the armour itself should be blessed by Bast upon completion to give it that mystical edge. Plus the blessing will allow T'Challa to still be able to cast the spells above and aid in the other mystical upgrades.

I'll leave it as these for now, as I've run out of ideas and I'm quite busy, but what do you guys think? Any suggestions of your own?

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Should T'Challa learn more magic/mystic arts?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:51:36 am »
I would take that "Spirit Spear" and make it a multi use tool. Morphing from spear to sword to shield to brass knuckles to rope for restraining. Add the handicap that it only works on magical creatures or people. That way it doesnt become over used.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 02:57:09 pm »
I know I tend to ramble a lot so I'll try and keep it short: Do you think T'Challa should dabble in the mystic arts to enhance his current power and skill set?

I don't particularly like the idea of hand-waving, lightning and coloured energy blasts type magic (similar to Doctor Strange and other type mystics) for T'Challa as he is a physical warrior, so I was thinking of something that feels a little more ritualistic, or enhances/goes in line with his current powers.

We know T'Challa currently possesses some mystical abilities, mainly from the KotD stuff. From what I can recall, that includes calling on zombie/spirit warriors, communing with past Black Panthers, soul-stalking (which I think how it's been shown makes it feel useless), and some spirit spear thing.

Out of those, I'll keep the communing with past Black Panthers and the soul-stalk. However, I've been thinking the former should feel more like a ritual (as shown in the Black Panther movie) that T'Challa has to do for the communion. I like the idea of it being a ritual as it feels a little bit more spiritual in that manner (though having to do it every time for advice may seem like too much work).

Regarding the soul-stalk, I like it as it is in concept, but I think I'll also add/change it to be that T'Challa can sense mystical energies and can track them. Avengers: EMH introduced the idea that T'Challa could 'see' magical energy based on a ritual Wakandan shamans performed on him, so I'll also add that. But there needs to be good situations for T'Challa to use it. Using it on a regular human being who sweats, breathes and walks on ground makes no sense. For instance, if a mystic or being has performed a series of teleportations, T'Challa can track those teleportations if his enhanced physical senses cannot.

Now, as for new additions, here are some I have come up with:

Blades of Bast

This 'spell' allows T'Challa to summon the panther goddess Bast's blades, which she used to fight Apep/Apophis. I've been thinking of having these replace T'Challa's energy daggers altogether. While Priest gave the energy daggers the ability to act as trackers, I think with T'Challa's already enhanced sense of smell and adding the soul tracking thing, he doesn't need that.

The blades are two large daggers with panther head hilts as default. They should have longer reach than a typical dagger in order to not feel redundant. T'Challa can use them in this manner as melee weapons for close combat. The blades can also morph in large claw gauntlets (might not include this), thrown daggers, and a staff/spear/scythe (think the energy daggers in EMH).

The blades do physical damage but their greater advantage is in mystical/magical damage (I'll think specifically on what that means later on). T'Challa crossing his arms together creates an energy shield that can block/cancel mystical energy attacks or spells. This makes them better for fighting extradimensional beings, deities, cosmic beings and other mythical beings if he needs too. They can also be used to open portals (to other dimensions, to Necropolis etc).

The appear first as an Ancient Egyptian hieroglyph or Wakandan alphabet/symbol for "knife" above T'Challa's palms as he holds them out at his sides shoulder height, then form as he crosses his arms. Some visual cues and references below.

Fist/Paw/Strike/Claws of the Panther God(dess)/Bast (still working on the name lol)

This 'spell' allows T'Challa to summon the mighty fists of Bast. Think of it as either a massive open paw attack with claws out on. They appear as holograms or energy constructs on either of T'Challa's fists as he uses them to attack his opponents. Or the fist appears out of nowhere as a massive swipe attack, damaging multiple opponents at once, as a one-off. Mystical and physical damage.

Panther's Teeth

I know big cats tend to use their jaws and teeth to suffocate their prey, so I based this next spell on that concept. It allows T'Challa to summon the Panther goddess's powerful jaws and teeth to entrap, harm, and even torture an opponent. The spell manifests as a big hologram/energy construct than fade in and out as they 'bite' the opponent. The opponent is suspended in their place, unable to move as the spell damages their soul and physical being. Should be used on enemies like Galactus and other extradimensional beings and demons. Visual reference below.

Blessing of the Black Panther habit

Instead of giving T'Challa a separate set of armour that is "thrice-blessed" or whatever, why not have that blessing be put on T'Challa's default Vibranium suit? For starters, I'd simplify the suits functions to it being made of Vibranium nanotechnology that sits with the necklace, with Vibranium claws in the finger slots and Anti-Metal claws in between the knuckles, soles on the feet that absorb sound, built-in Kimoyo OS interface in the suit, and lenses that aid his enhanced vision. But the armour itself should be blessed by Bast upon completion to give it that mystical edge. Plus the blessing will allow T'Challa to still be able to cast the spells above and aid in the other mystical upgrades.

I'll leave it as these for now, as I've run out of ideas and I'm quite busy, but what do you guys think? Any suggestions of your own?

Because I'm pressed for time? This is my shorter response on this topic [ and it's still kinda long, lol ]. I'll return to it later.

I love these ideas you showed above!! Several of them are ideas that I too have long championed...particularly the "magic' idea and the blessings on the default habit. I added notions similar to yours for the habit...it IS a RELIGIOUS habit, after all...as well as T'Challa's personal touch of a wide array of cybermagic-psi-ka combo plate of goodies everywhere in his habit; especially in his helmet. This is a very Wakandan thing to do, and canonized by R to the H himself. In my fanfic, T'Challa displays these advancements first against Hela.

You probably don't know this, good brother, but I have been saying this kind of thing FOR DECADES. And. There's a way that T'Challa could and should do this without stepping on the toes of Drs. Voodoo and Strange, etc., while building on both the common sense canon [ exactly the kind of excellent suggestions you made above...with many similar things already existing in my fanfiction, and on display in the fights I scripted years ago with T'Challa vs Hela, T'Challa vs Hercules, etc etc ] as well as introducing and building upon the magic inherent in many Afrikan spiritual lineage rulers and rulership already established on the Motherland via our own history...which is not so much listed in the above.

ALL OF THIS WHILE T'CHALLA REMAINS HUMAN, NOT SUPERHUMAN. As I perpetually champion, imo we should return to and remain faithful to the original idea from the inception of BP that BP IS NOT SUPERHUMAN for 3 truly crucial reasons:

1. THE COOL FACTOR: If T'Challa remains conspicuously human...not superhuman...then he can truly equal and surpass Batman in popularity and the all important "cool factor" which we literally invented and were the undisputed incarnations of until the last twenty years or so. Without this? Batman WILL ALWAYS BE COOLER because arguments can be CORRECTLY made that "merely human Batman" is a legit threat to defeat SUPERHUMAN T'Challa. It can then be VERY POPULARLY IF NOT CORRECTLY surmised that, were T'Challa devoid of his SUPERHUMAN ENHANCEMENTS, Batman would win most if not all of their h2h conflicts.

2. A LONGER LEGACY OF BETTER WRITERS: It's more challenging as a writer to BELIEVABLY write a "nonsuperpowered" character facing and defeating a superpowered character. The ultimate example of this...BATMAN VS SUPERMAN in Frank Miller's nigh unsurpassable FALL OF THE DARK KNIGHT...should make my arguments in this area beyond even the remotest rational, unbiased dispute. Good writers would be attracted to a big name character like T'Challa not only because they like the character and the paycheck it generates, but also because they thoroughly relish the challenges that come with writing the character. This is the single largest stumbling block felling BP. We don't have consistent, outstanding writers providing T'Challa with generations of cool and generations of feats that compel awe and respect from all across the spectrum of comicdom.

3. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT "PEAK HUMAN" REALLY IS

This issue above is a critical issue that a good writer would address and write down clear examples of, prior to taking on the challenge that is BP. This helps define the kinds of feats that T'Challa would be inclined toward doing, why he has such inclinations, and the doable human basis for each of the many categories of feats he would engage in. Literally right now as we read T'Challa and at every point prior to this, there is no feat that T'Challa is credited with that DOESN'T fall in the realm of "Peak Human". T'Challa's "superhuman" senses of smell, hearing, touch, sight, etc? Nah. Merely part of the constellation of  formidable PEAK HUMAN senses like the "Proximity Sense" that all humans had during our Hunter-Gatherer stages of existence. All these senses are kept sharp and alive by all Wakandans, but the Royals subject themselves to HUMAN DISCIPLINES which synergistically ramped up all their senses in very human Wakandan style.

Before anyone gets to sputtering about how that's not possible or human, remember that Moondragon did something similar...some would argue far more...without the benefit of literally a million and more years of Black Panthers supported by deities in her lineage.

For instance, there is a Peak Human explanation as to how T'Challa did this:

It's pretty obvious to respectful supportive super TChalla fans who're both aware of his intellectual and physical gifts how T'Challa can do such things even to Silver Surfer, and it comes from a combination of things that T'Challa has done before he was specifically made superhuman by Jonathan Maberry.

Most people here know that I liked the authentic self defense techniques that Maberry designed for Shuri during his run, but there was no real need to make T'Challa superhuman imo. Batman never needs such talk or upgrades. Therefore T'Challa...the authentic pinnacle human...most definitely doesn't need it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:53:56 am by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline BlindWedjat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:06:19 am »
I would take that "Spirit Spear" and make it a multi use tool. Morphing from spear to sword to shield to brass knuckles to rope for restraining. Add the handicap that it only works on magical creatures or people. That way it doesnt become over used.

I have no idea what the "Spirit Spear" does since I'm no longer reading Coates book. However I'm trying to think less of the Blades of Bast I talked about (which is essentially the same thing as you are suggesting) as less of a weapon and more of a spell.Think of how in the Doctor Strange movie, they have spells which manifest as weapons (e.g., the fiery orange light energy whip, the shields, and those glass looking blades the bad guy and his goons used). I also want to keep them as blades for different reasons:

One, to replace the energy daggers. Priest is the only one that made them feel useful in my opinion by showing T'Challa use them a lot more in different combat situations, and also by giving them different uses other than generic ranged throwing weapons, especially considering the tracking abilities. But given T'Challa enhanced abilities and his skill as a tracker, I feel he doesn't need that. So the Blades of Bast can save the same combat utility as  the energy daggers as the can vary between twin daggers T'Challa can hold in his hands and fight with as close range melee weapons, and as long as has the spell has been cast and hasn't been "turned off" of cancelled, T'Challa can summon them as multiple bladed weapons he can throw. They're inspired by the way Bast is sometimes depicted as a cat holding a dagger. I feel simple bladed weapons fit a cat goddess more with the imagined fighting style (if Bast wanted to vary her style in combat), and it would be the same weapons T'Challa would use.

Two, I don't want the spell to be TOO multi-functional so it doesn't feel overpowered. I'm not sure if brass knuckles would be needed when you have daggers and a spear or scythe with longer range. Simple I feel is a bit better.

The idea of the magical handicap is pretty sound and I like that. I could consider that, but I also thinking the blades won't affect a normal person or creature the way a normal blade would. That is, it won't slash the skin open and cause bleeding, or feel hot to the skin or something. Rather it would damage their "spirit" or something like that, while still being more effective. Or they'd act as a normal blade towards a normal human/creature, but the magical properties of the blades would be felt on magical people and creature.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 07:45:17 am »
I like spirit knuckles because punches always work for a good action splash page. A scene example being Shadow King possesses someone. Tchalla equips the knuckles and a full page action shot of King being punched out of the body.

I think the traditional daggers should be kept as a first option because spirit weapons should drain stamina and he needs weapons that don't do that.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 07:55:28 am »
I like spirit knuckles because punches always work for a good action splash page. A scene example being Shadow King possesses someone. Tchalla equips the knuckles and a full page action shot of King being punched out of the body.

I think the traditional daggers should be kept as a first option because spirit weapons should drain stamina and he needs weapons that don't do that.

Cosign!!
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline BlindWedjat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 08:40:32 am »
Because I'm pressed for time? This is my shorter response on this topic [ and it's still kinda long, lol ]. I'll return to it later.

I love these ideas you showed above!! Several of them are ideas that I too have long championed...particularly the "magic' idea and the blessings on the default habit. I added notions similar to yours for the habit...it IS a RELIGIOUS habit, after all...as well as T'Challa's personal touch of a wide array of cybermagic-psi-ka combo plate of goodies everywhere in his habit; especially in his helmet. This is a very Wakandan thing to do, and canonized by R to the H himself. In my fanfic, T'Challa displays these advancements first against Hela.

You probably don't know this, good brother, but I have been saying this kind of thing FOR DECADES. And. There's a way that T'Challa could and should do this without stepping on the toes of Drs. Voodoo and Strange, etc., while building on both the common sense canon [ exactly the kind of excellent suggestions you made above...with many similar things already existing in my fanfiction, and on display in the fights I scripted years ago with T'Challa vs Hela, T'Challa vs Hercules, etc etc ] as well as introducing and building upon the magic inherent in many Afrikan spiritual lineage rulers and rulership already established on the Motherland via our own history...which is not so much listed in the above.

ALL OF THIS WHILE T'CHALLA REMAINS HUMAN, NOT SUPERHUMAN. As I perpetually champion, imo we should return to and remain faithful to the original idea from the inception of BP that BP IS NOT SUPERHUMAN for 3 truly crucial reasons:

1. THE COOL FACTOR: If T'Challa remains conspicuously human...not superhuman...than he can truly equal and surpass Batman in popularity and the all important "cool factor" which we literally invented and were the undisputed incarnations of until the last twenty years or so. Without this? Batman WILL ALWAYS BE COOLER because arguments can be CORRECTLY made that "merely human Batman" is a legit threat to defeat SUPERHUMAN T'Challa. It can then be VERY POPULARLY IF NOT CORRECTLY surmised that, were T'Challa devoid of his SUPERHUMAN ENHANCEMENTS, Batman would win most if not all of their h2h conflicts.

2. A LONGER LEGACY OF BETTER WRITERS: It's more challenging as a writer to BELIEVABLY write a "nonsuperpowered" character facing and defeating a superpowered character. The ultimate example of this...BATMAN VS SUPERMAN in Frank Miller's unsurpassable FALL OF THE DARK KNIGHT...should make my arguments in this area beyond even the remotest rational, unbiased dispute. Good writers would be attracted to a big name character like T'Challa not only because they like the character and the paycheck it generates, but also because they thoroughly relish the challenges that come with writing the character. This is the single largest stumbling block felling BP. We don't have consistent, outstanding writers providing T'Challa with generations of cool and generations of feats that compel awe and respect from all across the spectrum of comicdom.

3. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT "PEAK HUMAN" REALLY IS

This issue above is a critical issue that a good writer would address and write down clear examples of, prior to taking on the challenge that is BP. This helps define the kinds of feats that T'Challa would be inclined toward doing, why he has such inclinations, and the doable human basis for each of the many categories of feats he would engage in. Literally right now as we read T'Challa and at every point prior to this, there is no feat that T'Challa is credited with that DOESN'T fall in the realm of "Peak Human". T'Challa's "superhuman" senses of smell, hearing, touch, sight, etc? Nah. Merely part of the constellation of  formidable PEAK HUMAN senses like the "Proximity Sense" that all humans had during our Hunter-Gatherer stages of existence. All these senses are kept sharp and alive by all Wakandans, but the Royals subject themselves to HUMAN DISCIPLINES which synergistically ramped up all their senses in very human Wakandan style.[/]

Before anyone gets to sputtering about how that's not possible or human, remember that Moondragon did something similar...some would argue far more...without the benefit of literally a million and more years of Black Panthers supported by deities in her lineage.

For instance, there is a Peak Human explanation as to how T'Challa did this:

It's pretty obvious  to respectful supportive super TChalla fans who're both aware of his intellectual and physical gifts how T'Challa can do such things even to Silver Surfer, and it comes from a combination of things that T'Challa has done before he was specifically made superhuman by Jonathan Maberry.

Most people here know that I liked the authentic self defense techniques that Maberry designed for Shuri during his run, but there was no real need to make T'Challa superhuman imo. Batman never needs such talk or upgrades. Therefore T'Challa...the authentic pinnacle human...most definitely doesn't need it.

I'm unfortunately unaware of these contributions that you speak of, BUT I would like to read about them especially in your fanfiction. If you could provide some links, I'd like that. Thank you for reading and responding also!

I'm not too sure I understand the bits I put in bold, but I will try my best to. Are you saying that the label of T'Challa being a superhuman is unnecessary because you feel SUPERHUMAN and PEAK HUMAN are essentially the same thing? That is, because a person being PEAK HUMAN in every conceivable measure (physical stats, senses) doesn't exist in the real world, we can't exactly say what the big difference is between both ideas of a person being SUPERHUMAN (the way T'Challa is often presented in comics these days, as well as in the MCU for instance) and the more 'realistic' idea of a human that is PEAK in all measurements? That's an interesting idea, something I never thought of. I do think under that consideration it makes sense. However, I'm not sure if your idea allows T'Challa to still have some of the strength feats he has had over the years, as well as feats that involve the senses.

I do think I disagree though. I haven't read that many Batman comics, but when I see some of the feats he has had, some of the things he has been able to survive and do, these very things which even allow him to be put in the same sentence as Black Panther (which I do think can be insulting), I find it quite ridiculous (and it's this very thing that has perpetuated this "because he's Batman" thing, which does not appeal me to the character) that he can even pull off those things as human being. For instance (if my DC lore knowledge serves me correct) Deathstroke is a clearly defined superhuman with superhuman stats, is just as good as a martial artist and strategist as Batman, has a number of gadgets and weapons, has a brain that works better than a normal human, and has a suit made of special and durable metal (a quick research shows the suit has pretty much the same ability as T'Challa's new kinetic energy absorbing suit). Yet, somehow, Batman is able to beat this guy in a fight when he is INFERIOR in every manner. And this is because Batman now has what is referred to as "plot armor", something that prevents him from being beat by enemies he should simply because he's Batman. I can understand being trained as an expert martial artist, achieving that kind of mental genius and also having a discipline with a diet and such that helps that, having a great suit that provides adequate protection and gadgets that make up for the things you can't do, but Batman should lose to characters like Deathstroke and Black Panther. The idea that a depowered T'Challa (with all things remaining the same) would lose to Batman is a comfort for Batman fans that if THEY could make things different, they would make T'Challa inferior to Batman because they can't stand the idea of a 'similar' character being better. There's no evidence to suggest this as T'Challa has never been depowered while having everything else he does (remember, T'Challa had trained to be PEAK HUMAN before he gained the powers of the Black Panther).

I think the way DC and Marvel both try to define PEAK HUMAN and SUPERHUMAN is with the Olympic athlete thing. For instance, PEAK HUMAN SPEED would be that of the fastest man alive (like Usain Bolt for instance). This can be achieved through training and also genetics and is conceivable. SUPERHUMAN would be faster than that. Much faster, and approaching, matching, and maybe even surpassing the speeds of vehicles or animals. PEAK HUMAN REFLEXES would be that of the finest Olympic table tennis player or fencer (i.e., people who dedicate their entire time and life to improving their reflexes and reaching optimum status), and SUPERHUMAN REFLEXES would be faster than that, approaching, matching, and surpassing that of machines, robots, programs and animals. PEAK HUMAN AGILITY would be that of the top Olympic level gymnast, and SUPERHUMAN AGILITY would top whatever that gymnast is able to do. In that sense, being SUPERHUMAN is something that a regular human won't be able to ever achieve as having each of those levels of athletic perfect even at the PEAK level would be difficult to maintain and even get to as that requires having different body types. Not to talk of the SUPERHUMAN level which is better that that.

I also think T'Challa's enhanced senses have not been given enough attention in a long time, both in comics and in the MCU for instance. It's probably the one thing I felt the movie did not touch on. There's not suggestion T'Challa can see, hear, or smell things as good as his namesake. There are times I felt the movie could have quickly shown T'Challa has these abilities. Plus under the right writing, these abilities can really shine. T'Challa's basically a Daredevil that can see as well as Daredevil can hear and smell, while still being Daredevil in those other things. There's a lot one can show T'Challa can do with those abilities.

Aside from the senses thing, the MCU I think has done a good job at visualising what T'Challa is capable of physically. While the DCEU has given us a really dumb and tactically inept Batman in my opinion, that version has shown the best of his martial arts and physical ability (again with out the tactical brilliance). There's no way DCEU Batman (even if he was younger and in his prime, and a better tactical fighter) could beat MCU Black Panther in a fist fight, when T'Challa sends goons FLYING with punches and kicks several feet in the air, can lift up the side of a speeding car (causing a dent in the body with his foot), wrestle down a charging giant rhino, jump so high to reach the near top of a building, then run along the side of that same building and jumped off to catch up to a speeding vehicle. Hell, the movie even shows twice what depowerd T'Challa is capable of, and he was able to knock big ass, borderline SUPERHUMAN M'Baku of his feet with a kick. Put that same T'Challa in his suit and I don't see Batman easily beating him, especially when you consider how fast he was fighting Killmonger (until he lost of course).

That being said, I do understand your point, but I like SUPERHUMAN T'Challa as long as it's shown as something a PEAK HUMAN cannot do.

Offline BlindWedjat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 08:45:11 am »

Then the question becomes why doesn't he have energy knuckles as well, since spirit weapons drain stamina. I'm trying to avoid too much of a wide array of gear. Though the splash page action scene sounds cool and I like it, I can see King being stabbed out of the body being just as cool. Or with the Panther's Teeth I suggested in my OP.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:20 am »
I think he does. For stronger opponents, he is able to wrap his gauntlets in energy? I think that is what he did to Namor in time runs out. But I could be misremembering.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline BlindWedjat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 10:09:50 am »
I think he does. For stronger opponents, he is able to wrap his gauntlets in energy? I think that is what he did to Namor in time runs out. But I could be misremembering.

He does in Time Runs Out, you're right. But that's the only time I remember them being used. And it's one of those things I just feel is unnecessary. I don't know how strong Namor is normally, but in my opinion T'Challa should either be able to punch Namor with his own strength (he has before) or he uses different weapons and tactics to handle an opponent like Namor. I don't think everything should be about some new technology to handle any kind of threat. Have a specific set that can do these things based on how T'Challa uses them based on tactics. For instance, why can't T'Challa just use the energy daggers and his claws on Namor?

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 10:20:50 am »
I don't know durable Namor is, but I think he can take punches from the Hulk and fight back. I don't think Tchallas normal punch or weapons would work. He stabbed him with a vibranium knife and he shrugged it off.

But a lot of these things change with writers. Lol
Reggie Hudlin-

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 08:48:08 am »
I don't know durable Namor is, but I think he can take punches from the Hulk and fight back. I don't think Tchallas normal punch or weapons would work. He stabbed him with a vibranium knife and he shrugged it off.

He does in Time Runs Out, you're right. But that's the only time I remember them being used. And it's one of those things I just feel is unnecessary. I don't know how strong Namor is normally, but in my opinion T'Challa should either be able to punch Namor with his own strength (he has before) or he uses different weapons and tactics to handle an opponent like Namor. I don't think everything should be about some new technology to handle any kind of threat. Have a specific set that can do these things based on how T'Challa uses them based on tactics. For instance, why can't T'Challa just use the energy daggers and his claws on Namor?

This kind of stuff we see above actually originates with PRIEST. The Power Glove that T'Challa used vs Tony Stark's special armor designed to track down T'Challa. And T'Challa's one hit knock down of Namor.

Namor HAS tangled with Hulk, The Thing and other megasuper strong beings. Namor is vastly more physically powerful than T'Challa.

But. Not only does T'Challa have the strength and fighting system skill [ canon from Maberry with the special Royal Wakanda Fighting Art designed to defeat The Mystic Vibranium enhanced Doombots ] to knock around super guys better than Captain America does, T'Challa can neutralize Namor's strength like he did to The Thing and The Man Panther Avatar with tech we see featured in his Techno-Jungle. That neutralizing tech is as a standard function funneled through his standard Kimoyo, the Energy Daggers, his claws, or anything else he keeps as standard equipment. Hell, if Nimrod can do it? Wakandans been done did it first and better.

So. That's one of many ways already established in canon that T'Challa could decisively beat and even kill Namor.

As for the magic stuff? I don't think we really need to ADD MUCH GEAR/EQUIPMENT, JUST EMPHASIZE THE FACT THAT T'CHALLA'S ROOTS MAKE SURE THAT ALL HIS GADGETS ETC ALSO WORK AGAINST MAGIC AND/OR HAVE MAGIC COMPONENTS, TOO. R to the H already established that Wakands view magic and tech as part of the same continuum. Reemphasizing this should remind people that neither T'Challa nor Wakanda are new to this. We could:

Make T'Challa's standard Anti-Metal claws ALSO be antimagic, antipsi, etc.

His habit be treated against magic the same way that Tony Stark noted that T'Challa's habit is treated to be proof against light based attacks. TChalla's habit's onboard tech also allows him to read,absorb, gauge, redirect, etc magic energies. His Thrice Blessed Armor is The Hulkbuster version of magic/whatever armored protection.

Remember the KO gas that T'Challa's old skool black habit emits? That gas has mystic properties that can mass heal, allow temporary transformation into gaseous form for an hour, drastically slow or accelerate movement in order to slow the pursuit or attack [ even energy attack ] of an enemy for a brief period of time, while accelerating the escape or attack of T'Challa and/or his allies, etc. It works on a molecular level too, so it could freeze or superheat objects.

Make Force Shield that T'Challa displayed in Hickman's first issue of New Avengers both more powerful than shown AND operate against magic. Those same Force Screens can capture and neutralize midlevel spellcasters, or combine in the dozens to temporarily stymie powerful spellcasters.

Allow Kimoyo to not only track but generate mystic energies when needed. Plus open and close mystic portals.

Make T'Challa adept at deflecting magic energy attacks aimed at him directly back upon the spellacaster and/or their forces.

Also, hearkening back to his stealth, agile, acrobatic, hunting prowess...T'Challa's mind is as elusive and agile, acrobatic as his body, and is practically impossible to read or ensnare. Whereas T'Challa...as the premier hunter in the MU or at least tied for top honors... has tremendous proficiency in tracking magic energies and ensnaring magic users.

As High Loremaster, T'Challa could recognize spells being chanted and immediately cast the counter/defensive spell even before the enemy wizard finishes the enchantment [ those lightning Peak Human reflexes come in handy ]. Or convey the knowledge of the effects of the spell to his comrades. Or any combo thereof, and other uses that such knowledge shows...like revealing the power and experience level of the spellcaster in question.

Make that button that R to the H showed that neutralized guns ALSO neutralize magic and magic users by combing RH's button with Priest's idea of using a force field on Mephisto to basically drop an ANTIMAGIC SHELL on spellcasters, and magic items... robbing them either permanently or temporarily of all their magic powers. Depending on how powerful the magic/wizard is/are.

As a High Priest and  High Loremaster of magic, T'Challa's standard cover story for the use of his magic powers [ if anyone ever asks or notes his feats drawn from his abilities above ] is that he used tech to achieve these feats. The truth is? He knows enough of magic to actually devise tech that DOES achieve results similar to his magic powers...so megatech geniuses would be like: "Yeah, that could work just like T'Challa said!"

Afrikan lore and history make the notion of magic using Kings,Warriors,etc a standard and given throughout the entire continent. This factual history would allow T'Challa to seamlessly add magic to his portfolio [ something which most people don't know was actually done from jump street the second that he was linked to TPG during his creation ] in such a way that his magic doesn't overwhelm his more chronicled, more obvious abilities. T'Challa WOULD BE A VALUABLE ADDITION TO MAGIC USING/FIGHTING/WHATEVER CHARACTERS, STORIES, ADVENTURES, UNIVERSES [ LIKE MIDNIGHT SONS ] because what magic he does do? He does better than pretty much anyone, and he DEFINITELY does it in more stealth manner than anyone.

T'challa has abilities like

Lucid Dreaming

Energy+Faith Healing [ a compound ability that draws upon one's personal Energy and Faith in TPG; this allows him to Heal things and injuries that neither Energy nor Faith Healings could do alone ].

He's CLEARLY A MEDIUM, as established by Hickman via KOTD powers.

The ability to be trackless, like a Pass Without A Trace spell

Thoughtography...this ability would have been passed down to T'Challa via the magic sorcerer type Panthers that Hickman showed as part of T'Challa's lineage. Important when crafting stealth invisible sigils, sending encrypted information, etc.

Limited but powerful Pre and Postcognition...working with the ESP that Kirby gave him

In this way? We simply show the stuff that he already has in canon are madd multifunctional and this alone adds to the cool factor, the uberprep, that T'Challa should be the incarnation of in the MU, if not all of comics. 

So...thoughts?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:38:01 am by supreme illuminati »
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Rise Above

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 08:37:28 pm »

This kind of stuff we see above actually originates with PRIEST. The Power Glove that T'Challa used vs Tony Stark's special armor designed to track down T'Challa. And T'Challa's one hit knock down of Namor.

Namor HAS tangled with Hulk, The Thing and other megasuper strong beings. Namor is vastly more physically powerful than T'Challa.

But. Not only does T'Challa have the strength and fighting system skill [ canon from Maberry with the special Royal Wakanda Fighting Art designed to defeat The Mystic Vibranium enhanced Doombots ] to knock around super guys better than Captain America does, T'Challa can neutralize Namor's strength like he did to The Thing and The Man Panther Avatar with tech we see featured in his Techno-Jungle. That neutralizing tech is as a standard function funneled through his standard Kimoyo, the Energy Daggers, his claws, or anything else he keeps as standard equipment. Hell, if Nimrod can do it? Wakandans been done did it first and better.

So. That's one of many ways already established in canon that T'Challa could decisively beat and even kill Namor.

As for the magic stuff? I don't think we really need to ADD MUCH GEAR/EQUIPMENT, JUST EMPHASIZE THE FACT THAT T'CHALLA'S ROOTS MAKE SURE THAT ALL HIS GADGETS ETC ALSO WORK AGAINST MAGIC AND/OR HAVE MAGIC COMPONENTS, TOO. R to the H already established that Wakands view magic and tech as part of the same continuum. Reemphasizing this should remind people that neither T'Challa nor Wakanda are new to this. We could:

His habit be treated against magic the same way that Tony Stark noted that T'Challa's habit is treated to be proof against light based attacks. TChalla's habit's onboard tech also allows him to read,absorb, gauge, redirect, etc magic energies. His Thrice Blessed Armor is The Hulkbuster version of magic/whatever armored protection.

Remember the KO gas that T'Challa's old skool black habit emits? That gas has mystic properties that can mass heal, allow temporary transformation into gaseous form for an hour, drastically slow or accelerate movement in order to slow the pursuit or attack [ even energy attack ] of an enemy for a brief period of time, while accelerating the escape or attack of T'Challa and/or his allies, etc. It works on a molecular level too, so it could freeze or superheat objects.

Make Force Shield that T'Challa displayed in Hickman's first issue of New Avengers both more powerful than shown AND operate against magic. Those same Force Screens can capture and neutralize midlevel spellcasters, or combine in the dozens to temporarily stymie powerful spellcasters.

Allow Kimoyo to not only track but generate mystic energies when needed. Plus open and close mystic portals.

Make T'Challa adept at deflecting magic energy attacks aimed at him directly back upon the spellacaster and/or their forces.

Also, hearkening back to his stealth, agile, acrobatic, hunting prowess...T'Challa's mind is as elusive and agile, acrobatic as his body, and is practically impossible to read or ensnare. Whereas T'Challa...as the premier hunter in the MU or at least tied for top honors... has tremendous proficiency in tracking magic energies and ensnaring magic users.

As High Loremaster, T'Challa could recognize spells being chanted and immediately cast the counter/defensive spell even before the enemy wizard finishes the enchantment [ those lightning Peak Human reflexes come in handy ]. Or convey the knowledge of the effects of the spell to his comrades. Or any combo thereof, and other uses that such knowledge shows...like revealing the power and experience level of the spellcaster in question.

Make that button that R to the H showed that neutralized guns ALSO neutralize magic and magic users by combing RH's button with Priest's idea of using a force field on Mephisto to basically drop an ANTIMAGIC SHELL on spellcasters, and magic items... robbing them either permanently or temporarily of all their magic powers. Depending on how powerful the magic/wizard is/are.

As a High Priest and  High Loremaster of magic, T'Challa's standard cover story for the use of his magic powers [ if anyone ever asks or notes his feats drawn from his abilities above ] is that he used tech to achieve these feats. The truth is? He knows enough of magic to actually devise tech that DOES achieve results similar to his magic powers...so megatech geniuses would be like: "Yeah, that could work just like T'Challa said!"

Afrikan lore and history make the notion of magic using Kings,Warriors,etc a standard and given throughout the entire continent. This factual history would allow T'Challa to seamlessly add magic to his portfolio [ something which most people don't know was actually done from jump street the second that he was linked to TPG during his creation ] in such a way that his magic doesn't overwhelm his more chronicled, more obvious abilities. T'Challa WOULD BE A VALUABLE ADDITION TO MAGIC USING/FIGHTING/WHATEVER CHARACTERS, STORIES, ADVENTURES, UNIVERSES [ LIKE MIDNIGHT SONS ] because what magic he does do? He does better than pretty much anyone, and he DEFINITELY does it in more stealth manner than anyone.

Lucid Dreaming

Energy+Faith Healing [ a compound ability that draws upon one's personal Energy and Faith in TPG; this allows him to Heal things and injuries that neither Energy nor Faith Healings could do alone ].

Thoughtography...this ability would have been passed down to T'Challa via the magic sorcerer type Panthers that Hickman showed as part of T'Challa's lineage. Important when crafting stealth invisible sigils, sending encrypted information, etc.

Limited but powerful Pre and Postcognition...working with the ESP that Kirby gave him

In this way? We simply show the stuff that he already has in canon are madd multifunctional and this alone adds to the cool factor, the uberprep, that T'Challa should be the incarnation of in the MU, if not all of comics. 

So...thoughts?

Excellent post as usual l,brother. Always something new to think about 

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 08:40:10 pm »

Lucid Dreaming

So...thoughts?

Excellent post as usual l,brother. Always something new to think about 

Thank you, thank you Brother Rise
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 04:34:07 pm »
I prefer superhuman T'Challa.

Batman d-riders are going to batman d-ride regardless.  That frankly sounds like a personal problem that should be mocked for entertainment and not dignified with seriousness. 

Mainstream T'Challa is superhuman and his suit is Iron Man-lite from the immense damage it can soak.  And obviously Evans Rise book is just a preview of the type of tech BP will be displaying in the sequels. All that granddaddy's BP/ karate black man in tights stuff from yesteryears is a thing of the past, and good riddance tbh.

See, I'm not old school, nor new school; i'm my own school of thought with the idea that
1) all that old stuff with the mytho really wasn't all that great to begin with, some stories were but a lot of that ish from McGregor's run to that Dr. Doom two-parter was down right cringeworthy if not trash. 
2) A lot of the new ish today aint that great either, minus a select few appearances in other books, and the Rise book. Basically it comes down to the inbetween era of old and new [Priest/Hudlin] and some selective short stories scattered throughout.
3) The MCU/mainstream verison of BP is superior to all the above, and its going to be reset/re-imagined 10-15 years from now anyway [as the cycle always is with movies]
And so 4) in this current mainstream cycle, there's no need to hold back because we're already going in that direction anyway. i.e. Superhuman James Bond, Shuri as Q, new tech in every movie, vibranium can do anything, etc.

And so to answer BlindWedjat's title question... uh yea, of course lol. Or more so, in the same way Tony Stark leveled up/evolved his suit in each of his movies, by Black Panther 3 I want to see all of those ideas you brought up realized.  i also want to see all of Hickman ish [energy guantlets, camouflage, short range teleportation, energy shields], all of Priest and Evans ish... and in Avengers 5 or 6 they better give him that KotD moment with zombie control, and the damn tiger god pokeball, and anything else i may be forgetting. lol.  Everything.  ;)

And if in 6-8 years when BP 3 comes out, and Batman fans want to cry about how BP's "too OP" now... well 1) we'll laugh at them because who cares what they think 2) pot calling the kettle black 3) point to the scoreboard and yell box office!
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?