Author Topic: Civil War- The Confession (spoilers)  (Read 9055 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Civil War- The Confession (spoilers)
« on: March 15, 2007, 11:31:07 am »
Script- Bendis
Art- Maleev

Brian Bendis reteams with his Daredevil collaborator Alex Maleev in this one-shot taking place some time after the events in CIVIL WAR.  Captain America has surrendered, and is in SHIELD custody.  The comic opens with Iron Man boarding a helicarrier, and being saluted by a group of agents (all bald white dudes—are they cloning Bendis now? Never mind..)
Iron Man asks if the prisoner is giving the agents any trouble.  He isn’t.  So Iron Man dismisses them, and then begins talking to the prisoner—Captain America.  He goes on a long spiel about how he’s an inventor and a futurist, and thus, he could see the Civil War situation coming from some years back, though he never knew quite when (so is this what drove him to drink?  I digress..)
Oddly enough, Iron Man says that when he first saw his ‘revelation’ of what was to come when he had his time-travel adventure with Dr. Doom in ancient Camelot.  Fighting with King Arthur was when it first hit him that a war of heroes would eventually happen.
Stark goes further with his explanation, deciding to take the initiative to organize registration and the various means and methods of which it was facilitated—the good and the ‘bad’—“it was necessary”..
Up until now, the tale has been told entirely from Stark’s point of view, and makes no attempt to show Cap.  In the end, though, there’s a curveball.  Despite all of this foreknowledge and preparation and stepping up to what he felt was the responsible thing to do, he rhetorically asks himself—was it all worth it?  Says Stark, now in tears— “No..” at last, we see Cap.  He is already dead.

The second story is apparently a flash-back, and it finds Cap being taken into initial custody by SHIELD agents—one of whom scoffs that he isn’t Captain America anymore.. In his cell, Cap dialogues with a young agent:  “How old are you, son?”  “I’m 22.”  “I’m 85..”
Eventually, Iron Man comes in, dismisses the agent, and he begins talking with Cap.  Stark remains cool, while Steve vents his rage at what he feels is the ultimate betrayal.  At the end of it all, Stark turns to leave, with “You’re a sore loser, Captain America.”
Says Steve-- “You bet.”  Both men are portrayed as not willing to give an inch, even though it’s all over.  Of course, that’s before the fateful events of Cap #25…

Grade:  A-
in this one-and-done, Bendis dialogue flows better for me than it does in many of his books I've read..  The art is very good..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Civil War- The Confession (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:44:40 pm »
I'm glad I passed on this.  I'm getting to the point where I can't take Bendis anymore.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:40:46 am »
It's got some retcon there. I'll keep this along with the New Avengers: Illuminati. If Tony is describing himself as a 'daemon seed' he sucks at it. Truth and justice for the American way!
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 03:57:07 am »
Hang on, Tony asks the SHIELD guys if their dead prisoner is giving them any trouble? What, by stinking up the place? ???

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 02:04:35 pm »
the confessions are taking place before and after the event

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:51:32 pm »
Read it even if you have to do it inside the comic shop. I loved it. More importantly I thought it was needed because I truly did not know what the writers were saying was motivating the billionair playboy to suddenly become an arshole. Bendis, and Reggie have made Tony to be so hatable. That was good writing imo. Tony was the leader of the pro-reg side but he wasn't the cause nor the sole on responsible. A big part but not the only one. My point is he can be an arshole and still be right. Hell he is right it just his methods no matter what his rational is King Arthur be damned you don't.

1) Parson killers and criminals to hunt former heroes.
2) Lock heroes in the negative zone. The raft maybe. The negative zone was extreme.
3) Clone a former ally in order to be used as a weapon. Still sick sick sick to me. This was a bad decision by the writers and make them and Tony come off spooky for even thinking Tony and Reed were capable of this.

I would say lie as a hero but then I realise that this is 2007 and Marvel and Marvel pride themselves on being realistic. The days of comic book heroes being above lying to win went out in the 80s if even then.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 09:13:49 am »
Strange that people are saying Tony Stark is irredeemable and a butt hole...when he went thru his druken stages back in the 80s and turned over his Iron Man duties to Jim Rhodes he seemed exactly the same....irredeemable and a butt hole...do not understand where everyone thought this CW storyline ruined him.  Guess it's perception and not reality?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:18 pm »
In terms of treachery I wonder who is worse, Iron Man or Batman. Right now, Iron Man is the worst but unlike Batman he's admitted he is wrong.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 04:53:10 pm »
This book was excelente, very moving this was a homerun. Bendis' Avengers work is crazy.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 06:09:39 pm »
  • Hang on, Tony asks the SHIELD guys if their dead prisoner is giving them any trouble? What, by stinking up the place?

Iron Man:  Is he in there?

Shield Agent:  Yes, Sir

IM:  Any trouble?

SA:  No, Sir

"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 06:12:08 pm »
Strange that people are saying Tony Stark is irredeemable and a butt hole...when he went thru his druken stages back in the 80s and turned over his Iron Man duties to Jim Rhodes he seemed exactly the same....irredeemable and a butt hole...do not understand where everyone thought this CW storyline ruined him.  Guess it's perception and not reality?

I didn't read the drunk storyline and I don't know much about Iron Man pre Civil War, but I don't agree with his actions and I think he was wrong in what he did, cut way too many corners to win.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 03:31:34 pm »
I think the trouble Tony was referring to was obtaining the body. I think Tony in BP has been as balanced as we have seen.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »
I read it and loved the story...but Tony's character has been damaged to me.  It's not just that he turned the most vile killers against his friends, but his attitude now, after the events have unfolded.  Yeah, The Confession is the only book that makes him look even remotely justified, but the way the character is carrying on in Mighty Avengers and other titles makes me hate him more and more.  I can't stand the smugness of the character and how it seems like he's gloating in his winning.  He's always referring to how all the heroes "work for him" now...I thought the key aspect to registration was to identify, catalog and train...not necessarily to create a super hero army controlled by one man, which is what ultimately happened.  Since the Marvel Universe prides itself in being close to our real world, how long is it going to take before Tony's absolute power corrupts him absolutely?  As for the alcoholism issues in the past, this situation is totally different...he was an ass then because he would operate a WMD while intoxicated and wouldn't listen to anyone for his own good...if anything, Civil War is the polar opposite of that because he misguidedly used the wrong methods to protect others, and indentured his own friends in the process.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 07:21:21 pm »
Geez, when you put it that way, Catch22, I now believe Tony is less an A-hole than Batman. Batman is undoubtedly certifiable. In the past Marvel and DC has blamed outside influences on a hero's fall. Parallax is now explained by some bad entity trapped in OA's battery. Onslaught is blamed on the evil persona slipped into Xavier's negative side. But for Iron Man they're not blaming it on Kang or whoever. It's solely him and his misguided actions. His hidden guilt grants him some saving grace to Batman's unapologetic stance.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 10:10:43 pm »
Geez, when you put it that way, Catch22, I now believe Tony is less an A-hole than Batman. Batman is undoubtedly certifiable. In the past Marvel and DC has blamed outside influences on a hero's fall. Parallax is now explained by some bad entity trapped in OA's battery. Onslaught is blamed on the evil persona slipped into Xavier's negative side. But for Iron Man they're not blaming it on Kang or whoever. It's solely him and his misguided actions. His hidden guilt grants him some saving grace to Batman's unapologetic stance.

I hear what you're saying, but even when you get "any-means-to-an-end" Batman, you'd never see him clear out Arkham to take out the JLA....sure he had files on them just in case they went rogue, but I can't see Batman playing DCU government watchdog like Stark did.  Batman kept his paranoia confined to his own backyard.  Yeah, he built Brother I, but he didn't do that to intentionally wipe out metas, it was an experiment that went awry and when he lost control of it he was one of the main heroes trying to stop it.  Stark meant well, but everything he did, he planned and calculated and did it knowing some of the people he's called friend would end up hurt or worse.