Author Topic: Do you watch Director's commentaries?  (Read 5233 times)

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Do you watch Director's commentaries?
« on: March 15, 2007, 03:26:47 pm »
Do you watch them on DVDs? I am probably the only person I know that will watch them. This is the real reason to own a DVD to me. I have learned so much from watching these that In my next life I swear I want to either be a director or a cinematographer or even a boom operator. The best ones I have seen were the Baby Boy, Miami Vice, Belly, Blade I, and Apocalypse Now. The directors in these movies went above and beyond on the DVD commentaries to tell you what went into making the movie.

Do you all have any suggestions on good director's commentaries? Do you all watch them?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Do you watch Director's commentaries?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 07:19:26 pm »
I listen to them, but not all the time.

So far I've enjoyed those of:

Dark City. The commentary with Roger Ebert is great.
Waking the Dead.  It's very sentimental.
Fantastic Four. It has cast members sharing their experience.
Blade 1 & 2. Wesley rocks, Goyer is a toad.
Hellboy. Cast was hilarious.
Lois & Clark. Season 2: Episode 9.
D.E.B.S. Most girly commentary I've ever heard!
Chronicles of Riddick. The cast was fun to listen to.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:08:08 pm »
I will watch them on some movies...I like the commentaries where they are just goofing around and having a good time.  Sometimes though they are so boring it is almost pointless.  I actually like the commentaries that are down years after the movie came out.  You get to listen to the actors see the movie for the first time in years.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:10:47 pm »
Yeah, I actually watched quite a few of them.  The one on Snatch is really good, it makes you want to go back and see the movie all over again.  The original matrix movie had a pretty good commentary track, too.  I've watched practically all James Bond movie commentaries and I had to watch the one from the Bourne Supremacy to see if he's explain that shaky camera.  I spend most of my DVD time looking for Easter Eggs and deleted content, though.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 01:12:13 pm »
Absolutely!
Especially if deleted scenes are included on the DVD.

For me, the commentary gives extremely useful information, details about the creativity, motivations and intentions behind the camera, as well as the wheeling and dealing behinds the scenes.  For instance,

---Spike Lee tells how the script to 'Inside Man' was handed to him on the down-low by a chance meeting with the producer in a elevator.

---Bruce W. Smith shows and tells  his sequence of a deleted scene in 'The Emperor's New Groove' that actually made it to color, sound, and music before it wound up on the cutting room floor.

---After 10+ years, seeing the kitchen scene with Halle Berry, Eddie Murphy, and Martin Lawrence untouched in 'Boomerang'.

---After 30+ years, seeing delected scenes with Billy Dee Williams and Diana Ross in 'Lady Sings The Blues'

---[EDITed to add] The commentary on 'Planet of The Apes' was the least informative for all the interesting scenes and sequences, Tim Burton just repeatedly made remarks like(I'm paraphrasing),  "...oh, well you can interpret that scene anyway you wanna..."  without giving any real account of what he was thinking when setting up such a scene.  He did make a funny remark about thinking it was totally unneccesary for George Lucas to re-issue special editions of Star Wars and felt that the original can stand on its own.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:36:06 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 02:45:27 pm »
Fantastic Four---Man, I really wanted to hear to hear what Tim Story had to say with regards to the most, anticipated Marvel movie but instead we get to hear Jessica Alba giggle her way thru commentary. The guy who played the The Thing at least was a fan of the character  but the other actors didn't even know who the Fantastic Four was...!  :(

Hellboy---I have to give it a listen. I was checking out the deleted scenes plus the cartoon shorts.

Chronicles of Riddick---yeah, I agree!

So far I've enjoyed those of:

Dark City. The commentary with Roger Ebert is great.
Waking the Dead.  It's very sentimental.
Fantastic Four. It has cast members sharing their experience.
Blade 1 & 2. Wesley rocks, Goyer is a toad.
Hellboy. Cast was hilarious.
Lois & Clark. Season 2: Episode 9.
D.E.B.S. Most girly commentary I've ever heard!
Chronicles of Riddick. The cast was fun to listen to.

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 02:45:49 pm »
Yes.  But I prefer the screenwriter's or actor commentaries.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 08:05:25 pm »
The best deleted scenes ever were from the original friday. I have no idea why they left those scenes out. OMG.

All the pies, all the cupcakes, all the pig eaaareeessss. Boy I like damn pig feet to. :D

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 07:46:55 am »
I'm actually more likely to watch commentaries on deleted scenes than on the whole movie, although if I have the time, I'm perfectly willing. The commentary on Anchorman was great though, as it's just a 90 minute ad-libbed comedy, with Will Ferrel complaining about the illegal immigrants he keeps in his garage or something like that.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 11:29:14 am »
I just saw the DVD of Dodge Ball starring Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller, and in it contained an alternate ending that the director screened for an audience before 20th Century Fox sent him and ultimatum: Where's the rest of it???

Without spoiling the ending, the director actually believed that his version should have been the version in the theatre release! I'll have to agree with the studio---the alternate ending is absolutely anti-climatic compared to the version in the main cut.

The movie itself is hilarious! :D

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »
I just saw the DVD of Dodge Ball starring Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller, and in it contained an alternate ending that the director screened for an audience before 20th Century Fox sent him and ultimatum: Where's the rest of it???

Without spoiling the ending, the director actually believed that his version should have been the version in the theatre release! I'll have to agree with the studio---the alternate ending is absolutely anti-climatic compared to the version in the main cut.

The movie itself is hilarious! :D

I saw the movie and the Dircetor's version. I agree with the studio's too. It does explain the after credit scene with Ben Stiller. It's basically the director bitching thru the character. Real mature.

The worst bar-none director's commentary are for the Star Wars flicks.  They suck the very life from the room.

The best is Paul Verhoven for Showgirls. He swears up and down the movie was inteded to be funny all along. That takes balls.   

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 02:12:03 pm »
El Mariachi, Desperado, Once Upon A Time In Mexico. Robert Rodriguez does very good commentaries. They are very informative and good for film buffs.

Resevior Dogs. A well done commentary. I wish they would do one for Pulp Fiction.

Clerks 2, Nightmare on elm street, Daredevil, Alexander, and I can't remember what others.

Every episode of The Simpsons season 4-9.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 01:23:06 pm »
I enjoy the 'extras' features sometimes they are better than the movie.

Jenn

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 04:10:08 pm »
I do! My mother says she has no idea how I can tolerate it, but when you have a movie's dialogue damn near memorized, it doesn't bother you much.  ;D

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 08:57:04 pm »
I enjoy the 'extras' features sometimes they are better than the movie.

I got to go rent every bad movie I ever seen and watch the extras.