Author Topic: Transformers Movies  (Read 34015 times)

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers The biggest hit for 2007 ***NEW TRAILER***
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2007, 06:30:56 am »
Are there any fly trailers for superhero/sci fi films with the movie?

Will Smith's I am Legend and some unnamed new Japanese monster flick.  See Transformers and you'll know the latter trailer immediately.

zeraze

Mothra or the Nuclear Turtle?  Godzilla would just be toooo easy...

The secret project name is "Cloverfield". Official name will be released later. Maybe it's a dragon flick. Or Parasite Eve?

At the risk of threadjacking..  internet speculation on this project, and the exact meaning of the name has run rampant.. I wouldn't be surprised if this was simply a Godzilla/Gamera remake, and all of the fanbratti got their knickers in a twist for next to nothing...

I'm pretty much over J.J. Abrams and his ridiculous level of self-importance.. After all of the hype, he's shaped up to be a merely adequate talent in Hollywood.. certainly not worth the acclaim he gets from the comic L33t over at the other sites..

Sunjata

Re: Transformers The biggest hit for 2007
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2007, 07:29:17 pm »
After work today I took the subway over to Times Square and saw Transformers in crisp DLP (Digital Projection).  First I have to say that Michael Bay cannot make a movie with any semblance of a real plot to save his life.  And all his character never approach anywhere near being three dimensional but I knew all this when I purchased my ticket.  I realize that when you see one of Bay’s movies you leave your brain at the door and expect great action but nothing else.  I also didn’t appreciate the clownish black characters portrayed by Anthony Anderson and Bernie Mac.  I guess they couldn’t find a way to fit Jar Jar Binks into the story.  :)

Now for the good stuff, the special effects and action sequences were excellent.  This is what summer blockbusters are about creating something spectacular.  A agree with True Father 7 that Bay should had made the fight sequences a bit less frenzy so you could tell what exactly was happening.  Those were some great sequences and we should have been able to see every frantic detail. 

I am not a Transformers fan so I am not watching this full of nostalgia.  I watched the old animation show now and again during the 80s but never became a fan.  This movie will not make me a fan because it is far from perfect but it had the best action sequences I have seen this summer and it is worth the price of admission.       

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Transformers The biggest hit for 2007 ***NEW TRAILER***
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2007, 08:40:12 pm »
Are there any fly trailers for superhero/sci fi films with the movie?

Will Smith's I am Legend and some unnamed new Japanese monster flick.  See Transformers and you'll know the latter trailer immediately.

zeraze

Mothra or the Nuclear Turtle?  Godzilla would just be toooo easy...

The secret project name is "Cloverfield". Official name will be released later. Maybe it's a dragon flick. Or Parasite Eve?

At the risk of threadjacking..  internet speculation on this project, and the exact meaning of the name has run rampant.. I wouldn't be surprised if this was simply a Godzilla/Gamera remake, and all of the fanbratti got their knickers in a twist for next to nothing...

I'm pretty much over J.J. Abrams and his ridiculous level of self-importance.. After all of the hype, he's shaped up to be a merely adequate talent in Hollywood.. certainly not worth the acclaim he gets from the comic L33t over at the other sites..

I dunno...I just saw a bootleg trailer online and I think it looks really interesting and look forward to seeing more!

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2007, 12:24:56 pm »
After work today I took the subway over to Times Square and saw Transformers in crisp DLP (Digital Projection).  First I have to say that Michael Bay cannot make a movie with any semblance of a real plot to save his life.  And all his character never approach anywhere near being three dimensional but I knew all this when I purchased my ticket.  I realize that when you see one of Bay’s movies you leave your brain at the door and expect great action but nothing else.

This is true.

I also didn’t appreciate the clownish black characters portrayed by Anthony Anderson and Bernie Mac.

To be fair, there are shady, fast-talking used car salesman (Black, White, etc.) who are like Mac's character.  It's not PC to say so, but it's true.

As for Anderson's role, it wasn't his funniest though I was on the floor when he swiftly cracked during the FBI interrogation.  (Hey, not every guy is an action hero.)  Anderson did redeem himself by hotwiring the computer and old transmitter to call in the USAF.  It's nice to see the Black computer geek get a heroic scene.

Another plus in both characters' favor is that they aren't the only Black people in the movie.  If you want a super-tough, smart hero, Tyrese's USAF character fit the bill nicely.  That range is normally lacking in action films, which are normally content with one Black token in an otherwise White world.  So, that is a step forward for Michael Bay and his ilk.

I guess they couldn’t find a way to fit Jar Jar Binks into the story.  :)

Actually, Mac and Anderson were quite restrained compared to Jar Jar, who's second to a gangsta rapper in terms of being a walking Black stereotype.

Now for the good stuff, the special effects and action sequences were excellent.  This is what summer blockbusters are about creating something spectacular.  A agree with True Father 7 that Bay should had made the fight sequences a bit less frenzy so you could tell what exactly was happening.  Those were some great sequences and we should have been able to see every frantic detail. 

I agree in certain parts (Bumblebee vs. Barricade) the fights could have been clearer.  Still, Bay just has an eye from fast-paced, explosion happy battle sequences.  I'm especially appreciative this summer because there has been a lack of cool action in popcorn flicks.

I am not a Transformers fan so I am not watching this full of nostalgia.  I watched the old animation show now and again during the 80s but never became a fan.  This movie will not make me a fan because it is far from perfect but it had the best action sequences I have seen this summer and it is worth the price of admission.       

Well, I guess Bay accomplished his mission of crafting a Transformers blockbuster that would appeal to fans like myself as well as non-fans.

zeraze
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time."

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2007, 12:00:11 am »
"Man, talk about the wrong stuff!"

MB use to be my boy.

WTF is this movie?  I liked what I SAW...to a point.  The story was...beyond words.  Those two writers are hacks and a half, not an orig. thought between the two.

Ater 90 mins or so it's just hardware rolling around on the ground together and military bringing everything but the kitchen sink.

John Turturro needs to be slapped.  How do you do Do the Right Thing, Jungle Fever, Barton Fink, Big Lebowski, and Miller's Crossing then phone in a performance like that?

These are probably things that have been said already (I didn't read the rest -- 8 pages, man!)

For the summer I like Die Hard, SpiderMan...this is a distant third...for me.

Oh, and WTF was up with the Star Wars droid acting all dopey?  If they wanted to set-up Soundwave that was not the way to do it...IMO.

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2007, 12:30:55 am »
Man, I had to come back. 

Maybe I was a tad too harsh.

I saw this wit' my wife, my 9 yr. old girl, my 12 yr. old nephew, and my brother-in-law.  I admit there were a few (I stress few) exciting moments and we found ourselves  :o"ooh-ing and aww-ing" :o but damn.

I just have two words -- Source. Material.  Oh, and: Make. It. Work. (I'm gonna be a dope producer ;) -- hehe)

What I said about John T. still stands though -- I'm not backing down from that. >:(

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2007, 03:51:02 pm »
I'm an old Transformers fan from when I was a kid. I was real excited to go see the movie. But, I have to say, though the special effects were off the chain, I did think alot of the dialogue was a bit corny. In fact, some of the scenes were a bit corny altogether. However, I don't think I wasted my money. It was good, I just think the plot could have been much better. If anything Michael Bay pulled off a live action mecha movie. For those of us who used to play the Mechwarrior videogames on the PC and Xbox, this movie shows they could come out with a slammin flick about that which would probably be a more story rich sci-fi movie if you get the right writers to come up with a decent plot. In fact, the scene where the Decepticon attacks the army base in the beginning of the movie reminded me of a Mechwarrior.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:27:31 pm by Evasive_1 »

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2007, 04:52:49 pm »
I really enjoyed the movie.  I was laughing from the beginning to end and was on the edge of my seat.  My teenage daughters had a better time watching the movie then me.  Although my oldest daughter was ohhhing and awwwing over Tyresse and the action, my youngest was on the same page w/ me on how funny, the action and storyline were cool w/ us; easy to understand.  Great movie and as always I had great company w/ me to see it.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2007, 05:22:46 pm »
i never thought I'd hear Optimus Prime say "Ooops, my bad."  ;D

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2007, 05:28:15 pm »

now that was funny.  yeah "We" (ol skool) would never thought to hear OP say that, but hey, he also used Ebay for intel gathering..... ;D

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2007, 11:30:45 pm »

now that was funny.  yeah "We" (ol skool) would never thought to hear OP say that, but hey, he also used Ebay for intel gathering..... ;D

Yeah, those parts would fall under the stuff I thought was "corny" in the movie. But, for the most part, the movie was geared more for the youngins'(even with some of the mature themes and violence) anyway. Even more so then us old timers that were kids when Transformers actually came on the scene. It's all about selling that toy line and merchandise based off the movie in the end, so it's understandable.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:32:28 pm by Evasive_1 »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2007, 08:08:41 am »
in the next one, I want Megatron to have his arm cannon back.. and Starscream should have a much bigger role to play..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2007, 11:05:00 am »
in the next one, I want Megatron to have his arm cannon back.. and Starscream should have a much bigger role to play..
Cosign. Though it looked like every transformer had some type of arm cannon in the movie

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2007, 03:11:52 pm »
I thought Megatron partially configured into a gun?  Hard to tell with all of the jittery camera work, but I thought that was a tasty bit of homage.. just like his backhanded retort to Starscream, and the visual of the crappy VW Beetle in the car lot a few spaces down from Bumblebee..

Enough for the old-schoolers to get misty-eyed on, without getting embarassed in front of the twenty-somethings...

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2007, 05:02:48 pm »
I thought Megatron partially configured into a gun?  Hard to tell with all of the jittery camera work, but I thought that was a tasty bit of homage.. just like his backhanded retort to Starscream, and the visual of the crappy VW Beetle in the car lot a few spaces down from Bumblebee..

Enough for the old-schoolers to get misty-eyed on, without getting embarassed in front of the twenty-somethings...

Actually, the writers stated that Megatron would not transform into a gun. they said they wanted him to change into something more befitting his size. So I guess we got some type of rocket plane.