Author Topic: Transformers Movies  (Read 31477 times)

sunjata

Re: Transformers The biggest hit for 2007
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 09:36:36 am »
Sun, I could see where the Bots would give you that impression but do yourself a favor and pick up TPB The War Within or Generation 1 books I think you won't be disappointed

Thanks for the recommendations.  I will be on the lookout for those titles.  I would like to discover why this franchise seems to have such a large fan base.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 10:37:13 am »
Sun, I could see where the Bots would give you that impression but do yourself a favor and pick up TPB The War Within or Generation 1 books I think you won't be disappointed

Thanks for the recommendations.  I will be on the lookout for those titles.  I would like to discover why this franchise seems to have such a large fan base.
With the comics, I would like to say, look especially for anything written by Simon Furman. Furman wrote nearly all of the UK Transformers stuff, and the last couple of years of the 80's Marvel run. The art quality ranges from awful to brilliant (good Transformers artists are Andy Wildman, Geoff Senior, Lee Sullivan, Don Figueroa and Guido Guidi - most of the others are not that good), but if he's the credited writer, the story underneath is consistently good.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

sunjata

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 10:42:47 am »
With the comics, I would like to say, look especially for anything written by Simon Furman. Furman wrote nearly all of the UK Transformers stuff, and the last couple of years of the 80's Marvel run. The art quality ranges from awful to brilliant (good Transformers artists are Andy Wildman, Geoff Senior, Lee Sullivan, Don Figueroa and Guido Guidi - most of the others are not that good), but if he's the credited writer, the story underneath is consistently good.
Thanks.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 10:54:12 am »
the announced robots for the movie:  Looks like it's a scaled-down roster on both ends, and in the case of the Decepts, they've got several folks from the 90's - 00's- era toys/toons..

Autobots
Optimus Prime
Bumblebee
Jazz
Ratchet
Ironhide

Decepticons:
Megatron
Starscream
Brawl
Bonecrusher
Barricade
Scorponok
Frenzy
Blackout

So who do you think should be the voice for Jazz?  Scatman Crothers did the voice on the original 'toons..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 02:43:27 pm »
It's not that i'm hating, I am going to go on opening day and see it, but there are a lot of people who don't like Micheal Bay. If it does well then thats cool.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 08:40:19 pm »
wow what a complete mess and I believe brawl was an Autobot. I have to Co-sign what Wise said about picking up any books with Furman as the writer this guys passion for the Bots is what's kept them on the scene! as to who should voice Jazz: Khary payton(does the voice of cyborg 4 TeenTitans) or the guy who voices the Joker on the new Batman show don't know his name but he is talented

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 01:25:46 am »
wow what a complete mess and I believe brawl was an Autobot.
<nerd>Actually, he was a Decpticon, in fact he was the tank in the Combaticons team (traditionally became one of Bruticus' legs).<nerd>
I have to Co-sign what Wise said about picking up any books with Furman as the writer this guys passion for the Bots is what's kept them on the scene! as to who should voice Jazz: Khary payton(does the voice of cyborg 4 TeenTitans) or the guy who voices the Joker on the new Batman show don't know his name but he is talented
Furman even answered the letters pages in the UK, in character, so kids got their questions answered by Soundwave, then later on Ratchet, Grimlock, Dreadwing and Blaster. I guess they're not doing any celebrity voices for the Transformers, but Will Smith has already done some voice-work (Shark Tale), but that's probably the least likely possiblity.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 02:01:21 am »
as to who should voice Jazz: Khary payton(does the voice of cyborg 4 TeenTitans) or the guy who voices the Joker on the new Batman show don't know his name but he is talented

Scatman Crothers... :'(

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 05:24:30 am »
It was sad to hear that he passed away

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 10:48:00 am »

and it was 20 years ago!  I thought it was in the late 90's..

..I'm looking forward to the 20th anniversary DVD of the cartoon movie.. Sony/BMG has the video rights now.. I'm hoping that also applies to the 80's TV episodes..

...say.. how many people thought that Unicron was a thinly veiled take on Galactus?  He eats planets to survive; he grants others vast powers to be his servants..   ;)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 11:05:12 am »
No shiggity it was 20 yrs ago? Interesting observation about Galactus/Unicron

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 12:53:36 am »

..I'm looking forward to the 20th anniversary DVD of the cartoon movie.. Sony/BMG has the video rights now.. I'm hoping that also applies to the 80's TV episodes..
Aren't all the episodes already out on DVD? If you have a Region 2 player you could definitely get all of them from the UK.
...say.. how many people thought that Unicron was a thinly veiled take on Galactus?  He eats planets to survive; he grants others vast powers to be his servants..   ;)
Good point. For me, he's also the very definition of a McGuffin in the movie. Where does he come from? What's the source of his powers? Why is the Matrix the only thing that can destroy him? None of that is answered, he's just a threat who appears when they need a threat to appear.

-Harriet Tubman

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 05:22:17 pm »
wow what a complete mess and I believe brawl was an Autobot.

You're thinking Brawn.  Brawl was a member of the Combaticons.  So, Brawl being on Megatron's side fits.

On that note, Blackfilm.com has a Transformers page which goes into more detail of the personalities and motives of the characters:

http://www.blackfilm.com/20060609/features/transformers.shtml

I have to Co-sign what Wise said about picking up any books with Furman as the writer this guys passion for the Bots is what's kept them on the scene!

That's the truth.  Furman is the chief reason why I felt so crushed when the original TF comic ended.  He really evolved the book from mere toy/cartoon tie-in into a smart, thrilling sci-fi adventure in its own right.

as to who should voice Jazz: Khary payton(does the voice of cyborg 4 TeenTitans) or the guy who voices the Joker on the new Batman show don't know his name but he is talented

Kevin Michael Richardson plays the current Joker on The Batman.  The first time I heard of Richardson was when he played Static's dad on Static Shock.  Here is his profile:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0724656/

And I agree.  Richardson or Payton would be a great pick for Jazz.

zeraze
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 05:29:26 pm by zeraze »
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time."

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 05:32:34 pm »

and it was 20 years ago!  I thought it was in the late 90's..

I know.  Where does the time go?

Speaking of which, Icv2 has more details on the DVD:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/9039.html

I immediate thought "Unicron = robot Galactus" as soon as he chowed down on his first victim planet.

zeraze
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time."

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2006, 04:28:01 pm »
That's the truth.  Furman is the chief reason why I felt so crushed when the original TF comic ended.  He really evolved the book from mere toy/cartoon tie-in into a smart, thrilling sci-fi adventure in its own right.
You checked out any of the UK-only Furman stories? They've been released in tpb format over here, guess maybe you can get them off Amazon if there's no US release. Stuff like Space Pirates where the Quintessons invade Autobot City Earth, blow everyone except Arcee away and string their corpses up on the wall, or Prey with Optimus vs. the Predacons.

-Harriet Tubman