Author Topic: Captain America by Ta-Nehishi Coates  (Read 529 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Captain America by Ta-Nehishi Coates
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:04:11 pm »
Looking forward to this.  Have not read Cap since the Brubaker run.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Online Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Captain America by Ta-Nehishi Coates
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 06:10:59 am »
I wish Mr. Reggie had the chance to be the regular writer. Still, someday, for sure..  ;)  And maybe there's hope for me someday as well..

I hope Mr. Coates invents several new villains and comes up with some interesting calamities for Cap to navigate his way through.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:30:34 pm »
My job as a writer is to get into Cap’s head, not to put myself as Ta-Nehisi Coates behind the shield,” Coates says. “Steve is not from West Baltimore, Steve did not grow up in the crack era, Steve’s dad was not a Black Panther, so there can be very little use in writing as though that were true. This is a chance to go back in time and envision myself as this kid, subjecting myself to this super-soldier process but remembering deep inside that once I was that weak kid.”

Where was this thinking for Black Panther. Lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Online Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 03:16:42 pm »
what are the plans for the Cap arcs? The current Panther story has a "Planet Wakanda" theme- so will there be a "Planet America" arc?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 06:20:43 pm »
Coates TALKS a good game. And the truth is? He CANNOT be AS HORRIBLE for other characters...especially nonAfrikan males...as he is for T'Challa. And this is HISTORY. The FIRST TIME EVER THAT ANY WRITER MUCH LESS AN AFRIKAN AMERICAN IS WRITING BOTH BLACK PANTHER AND CAPTAIN AMERICA AT THE SAME TIME.

My prediction? Coates' Captain America will be better than Chokes' T'Chumpa The Bland Panther.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 10:34:37 am »
Same as season one of BP. Heavy politics and exposition.

Differences: He makes Cap the hero, action is better, I'm actually intrigued by the villain.

I don't read Cap normally so I'm not sure how it stacks against Brubaker or Weid. Seems pretty close to SE though.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 03:48:54 pm »
I just read this. And I thought it was a better start than either of Black Panther #1's. I think this is the kind of book that fits Coates's sensibilities more. Where he can talk about the larger ideas and scope of history and all that stuff. And since he's writing a white (male) character he isn't as shackled by defeatism and his sense of black male impotence that permeated many of the Black Panther books I've read from him. This book doesn't start with Steve on his knees or Steve as a slave, but Captain America kicking ass and saving lives. It starts out showing him doing something heroic and with action, and the artwork was great. If this was the very first book Coates had been given I would be more on board with him as a comic book writer.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 03:04:16 pm »
Just read the first two issues.  I am enjoying this quite a lot!

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 03:17:06 pm »
Just read the first two issues.  I am enjoying this quite a lot!

that is the highest praise that TNC can possibly get from anyone whose taste I trust.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw