Author Topic: Stacey Abrams wins Democratic nomination in Georgia gov's race  (Read 25631 times)

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
Re: Stacey Abrams wins Democratic nomination in Georgia gov's race
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 09:36:57 am »
I don't know what was going on with that big wig but Oprah did a good job. The speech about our ancestors was a soundbyte many of us needed to hear. The Blue Wave may not even be a trickle. The polls are all over the place and Republicans don't tell the truth in them anyway. In 2016 CNN projected Hillary as the winner up until she lost, so their reporting means nothing to me. I've been arguing with too many fake hotep brothas on the Internet who feel it's their life's work to convince other Black folks their votes don't matter.  All they do is spread doubt, misinformation and apathy in the name of Black Power. Google Team_Rob on youtube or ig to see what I'm talking about. It's a problem.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2018, 03:36:57 am »
I hope she wins.  Kemp should have resigned as Secretary of State when he announced his candidacy.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 01:31:53 pm »
I don't know what was going on with that big wig but Oprah did a good job. The speech about our ancestors was a soundbyte many of us needed to hear. The Blue Wave may not even be a trickle. The polls are all over the place and Republicans don't tell the truth in them anyway. In 2016 CNN projected Hillary as the winner up until she lost, so their reporting means nothing to me. I've been arguing with too many fake hotep brothas on the Internet who feel it's their life's work to convince other Black folks their votes don't matter.  All they do is spread doubt, misinformation and apathy in the name of Black Power. Google Team_Rob on youtube or ig to see what I'm talking about. It's a problem.

This Oprah sermon, while stirringly given, is what black people hear every election year, in some form or another. It's basically the last-perhaps only-card left the Democrats have to play to rally black support and that's to guilt, bully, and scare black voters into sticking with the Democrats. And I think black people 'fake hotep' or not have every right to question the efficacy of voting. We've had 50 years of full, or mostly full, voting rights to see if voting is so great, and that record is dubious. It works to some extent in some areas or for some issues, and not for others. It has definitely helped create a black political class, but their loyalty is more to the Democratic party and their own careers than to community, so I can see why some are down on voting. The Democrats and vote shamers like Oprah want us to just keep voting and voting without getting, or even expecting much in return, since the GOP is cast as being so monstrous that we have no choice but to remain captive to the Democrats and their last priority even though the party would be finished without black votes. There aren't enough white women, LGBT, Asian, or Latino reliably Democratic voters to supplant us as the key bloc of votes for the Democrats yet, and the white working class-who the Democrats have chased for thirty to forty years, aren't coming back in sufficient numbers either.

I see voting as a tool. It's not the end all/be all, especially if black voters are not picking these candidates and can't even get them to commit to any specific help. We accept when they talk about 'minorities', 'people of color', or a 'rising tide' stuff and we've seen decades of how those 'univeralist' policies still keep us at the bottom. So I can see why some are not rah rah about taking time out of their day or to get off work to go vote for someone who doesn't give a damn about them and is not going to represent their interests.

As I was saying, voting is a tool. Which means it can be misused or needs to be used for the right problem. But the idea that voting solves everything, or that voting is all the political engagement we need is wrong and history bears that out, but it is something promoted by the Democrats who only care that we continue voting for them, whereas the Republicans want to depress or suppress our vote. Democrats are much more hyped about voter suppression than doing something about police brutality, poor education, prison reform, for example. Why? Because they care about black votes far more than black lives. I can see why some do feel voting doesn't matter because all too often it hasn't. Though it is a tool, it is a way to express dissent, but also a want to express where people should think the country should go or what's important. That being said, when you have donor-selected candidates presented to us, instead of us building and supporting our own candidates, it invites distrust and apathy and that's where were are now. Though the Democrats still use symbolism and the politics of personality and celebrity to keep many on board, there are others who aren't jumping when they call, or need a lot more convincing, and that's a good thing. The supposed uptick in 'progressive' and candidates of color is a response to people not feeling Hillary, among other things. Sometimes withholding your vote, or not voting, or voting elsewhere, also gets a response as opposed to just voting over and over and over again. If they don't have to work for your vote, they aren't going to.

I plan on voting, in part because I just want to vote against someone instead of voting for anyone. But that's my choice. I'm not going to bully or shame someone who doesn't vote, because I get it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:36:58 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 04:24:22 pm »
I hope she wins.  Kemp should have resigned as Secretary of State when he announced his candidacy.

Governor-Elect Abrams will win. 

Wanna know how I know?

Her opponent behaves like a loser.  Governor-Elect Abrams called for a national debate on CNN, her opponent declined the offer.
Check out this article. This is the action of a loser:

Sunday 4th November 2018

Kemp opens hacking investigation into Georgia Democrats 2 days before election
by Holly Rosenkrantz

The office of Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp, the Republican candidate for governor, said Sunday it had launched an investigation into the Georgia Democratic Party over "a failed attempt to hack the state's voter registration system."

The head of the state Democratic Party categorically denied the accusation, saying the "scurrilous claims" are "100 percent false."

In an interview with CNN on Sunday, Abrams dismissed the investigation as "a desperate attempt of my opponent to distract people from fact that two federal judges found him derelict in his duties."

"He is desperate to turn the conversation away from his failures, refusal to honor commitments," she said.

"We're going to out-vote and out-work him and we're going to win."

Abrams has been boosted with appearances by former President Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey in the closing days of the campaign.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia-governor-race-brian-kemp-opens-hacking-investigation-into-georgia-democrats-2-days-before-election-day/

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 06:03:27 pm »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2018, 08:15:30 pm »
Here's something different.
I've seen many political cartoons since the 1970s where there's usually a white couple sitting comfortably on a couch in front of the television watching the news at home, however, I've never seen a panel featuring an interracial couple sitting on the couch watching the news at home. Ever.  :-\

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2018, 09:06:32 pm »
Rashida Jones assists Governor-Elect Stacey Abrams!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 08:17:54 am »
Every little bit helps...

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 10:37:06 am »

This Oprah sermon, while stirringly given, is what black people hear every election year, in some form or another. It's basically the last-perhaps only-card left the Democrats have to play to rally black support and that's to guilt, bully, and scare black voters into sticking with the Democrats. And I think black people 'fake hotep' or not have every right to question the efficacy of voting. We've had 50 years of full, or mostly full, voting rights to see if voting is so great, and that record is dubious. It works to some extent in some areas or for some issues, and not for others. It has definitely helped create a black political class, but their loyalty is more to the Democratic party and their own careers than to community, so I can see why some are down on voting. The Democrats and vote shamers like Oprah want us to just keep voting and voting without getting, or even expecting much in return, since the GOP is cast as being so monstrous that we have no choice but to remain captive to the Democrats and their last priority even though the party would be finished without black votes. There aren't enough white women, LGBT, Asian, or Latino reliably Democratic voters to supplant us as the key bloc of votes for the Democrats yet, and the white working class-who the Democrats have chased for thirty to forty years, aren't coming back in sufficient numbers either.

I see voting as a tool. It's not the end all/be all, especially if black voters are not picking these candidates and can't even get them to commit to any specific help. We accept when they talk about 'minorities', 'people of color', or a 'rising tide' stuff and we've seen decades of how those 'univeralist' policies still keep us at the bottom. So I can see why some are not rah rah about taking time out of their day or to get off work to go vote for someone who doesn't give a damn about them and is not going to represent their interests.

As I was saying, voting is a tool. Which means it can be misused or needs to be used for the right problem. But the idea that voting solves everything, or that voting is all the political engagement we need is wrong and history bears that out, but it is something promoted by the Democrats who only care that we continue voting for them, whereas the Republicans want to depress or suppress our vote. Democrats are much more hyped about voter suppression than doing something about police brutality, poor education, prison reform, for example. Why? Because they care about black votes far more than black lives. I can see why some do feel voting doesn't matter because all too often it hasn't. Though it is a tool, it is a way to express dissent, but also a want to express where people should think the country should go or what's important. That being said, when you have donor-selected candidates presented to us, instead of us building and supporting our own candidates, it invites distrust and apathy and that's where were are now. Though the Democrats still use symbolism and the politics of personality and celebrity to keep many on board, there are others who aren't jumping when they call, or need a lot more convincing, and that's a good thing. The supposed uptick in 'progressive' and candidates of color is a response to people not feeling Hillary, among other things. Sometimes withholding your vote, or not voting, or voting elsewhere, also gets a response as opposed to just voting over and over and over again. If they don't have to work for your vote, they aren't going to.

I plan on voting, in part because I just want to vote against someone instead of voting for anyone. But that's my choice. I'm not going to bully or shame someone who doesn't vote, because I get it.

That's the kind of stuff you worry about AFTER trump is incapacitated or out of office. Right now it's just self-centered and in the way.
If I have to guilt, bully or scare you it doesn't matter to me as long as you vote blue.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 11:53:13 am »
That's the kind of stuff you worry about AFTER trump is incapacitated or out of office. Right now it's just self-centered and in the way.
If I have to guilt, bully or scare you it doesn't matter to me as long as you vote blue.

Thanks, Trip!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 01:48:15 pm »

We've been voting blue, more than any other segment of the country for decades now and what has it gotten us? The Democrats can't, or won't, even defend the  only things they still talk about to retain our loyalty, and that's the Great Society programs and Civil Rights laws of the 1960s. Can you name me a new major Civil Rights law-aimed at black people-since that time? The last major Civil Rights breakthroughs was for the disabled under George H.W. Bush and for the LGBT community under Obama, but even under the most recent Blue President  (because he made clear he wasn't the president of Black America), the Voting Rights Act was gutted (and to my knowledge Obama did not put forward any legislation to address that), ACORN was shuttered, Obama's black-only lectures, Obama's refutation of MLK's philosophy when he accepted the Nobel Peace Prize he didn't earn, etc., etc., many things that left blacks on the outside looking in once again, even with a black family in the White House. "Brother" Bill Clinton gave us mass incarceration and welfare reform. We don't owe the Democrats anything. As Malcolm X once said, "We put them first and they put us last." That was true in his time and it remains true today.

The idea that we don't think, but just vote, how does that sound? If the vote is so 'sacred' as Rep. John Lewis says, when you can understand him, then shouldn't we be very careful and considerate in our use of it? And to 'worry about stuff later' and not to ask questions before I go into a voting booth is not the way to go. You might as well stay home if you are selecting people you have no clue about and you are making assumptions on based on party affiliation. Granted, there is a big chance with voting period because you can never be sure how people are going to go when they get in office, but it certainly doesn't help when we have people demanding people vote without questioning, without thinking, and certainly without demanding accountability from the people who are in office already, much less the ones who are aiming to get in now and be the new people to play us.

And it is concerning that you feel okay with doing whatever you have to do to get people to pull a lever for a party that takes them for granted and will continue to do so. But that's not outside the norm when it comes to black Democrats unfortunately. "Vote like your life depended on it," John Lewis has said, or something to that effect. What he meant to say IMO is that his paycheck and other black Democratic politicians paychecks and careers depend on it.

If this is self-centered to you, that's good. We should be self-centered when it comes to voting. Everyone else is and that's why voting works better for some-not all-but for a lot more groups than it does for us.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:51:00 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2018, 07:17:36 am »
...and it's off to the polls!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile