Author Topic: Stacey Abrams wins Democratic nomination in Georgia gov's race  (Read 10174 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Stacey Abrams wins Democratic nomination in Georgia gov's race
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2019, 03:53:44 am »
Wednesday, 20th February 2019

Mark Harris' son warned him about operative in North Carolina scandal
by Laura Barron-Lopez

In emotional testimony Wednesday, the son of North Carolina Republican Mark Harris said he warned his father about the absentee ballot strategy used by Leslie McCrae Dowless, the political operative now at the center of an election fraud scandal in the state's 9th Congressional District.

John Harris testified before the North Carolina State Election Board Wednesday about allegations of election fraud.

Though Mark Harris led Democrat Dan McCready by 905 votes in the unofficial ballot count on election night in November 2018, the election board refused to certify a winner, pointing to the accusations of fraud.

John Harris, an attorney himself, said early on he was suspicious of Dowless' operation and shared his thoughts with his father and mother.

John's testimony appears to refute comments made by his father that he was never warned about Dowless, who held prior felony convictions of fraud and perjury.

After Mark met with Dowless, John sent his father an email on April 7, 2017, that included text of the law on the illegality of collecting a person's absentee ballot.

"Good test is if you’re comfortable with the full process he uses being broadcast on the news," John emailed his father as Mark Harris contemplated hiring Dowless.

John said he believed his father's mind was already made up despite his warnings.

John added that there's no reason for him to believe his father, mother or anyone else within the Harris campaign knew what Dowless was doing.

"I raised red flags at the time the decision was made to hire Mr. Dowless," said John, whose testimony dominated the third day of the hearing.

"I love my dad and I love my mom. I certainly have no vendetta against them, no family scores to settle," John said, holding back tears.

"I think that they made mistakes in this process and they certainly did things differently than I would have done them."

After investigating the fraud allegations, the board began its evidentiary hearing this week.

A state election board official kicked off the proceedings Monday by presenting evidence that implicated Dowless in an illegal absentee ballot collection "scheme."

State officials and individuals employed by Dowless testified that Dowless illegally paid people to collect and manipulate ballots.

Mark Harris is set to start the fourth day of testimony on Thursday.

It is unclear if the board will conclude its proceedings Thursday or stretch into a fifth day.

Upon conclusion of the hearing, the board is expected to either vote for a new election, certify a winner or potentially reach an impasse.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/20/mark-harris-north-carolina-election-fraud-1192738?cid=apn

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2019, 04:17:12 pm »
Thursday, 21st February 2019
GAME ON!!!
New Election Ordered in North Carolina Race at Center of Fraud Inquiry
by Alan Blinder

(RALEIGH, N.C.) — The North Carolina election authorities on Thursday ordered a new contest for Congress in the state’s Ninth District after the Republican candidate, confronted by days of evidence that his campaign underwrote an illegal get-out-the-vote effort, abandoned his defense and called for a new vote.

The unanimous ruling by the North Carolina State Board of Elections was a startling — and, for Republicans, embarrassing — turn in a case of political chicanery that convulsed North Carolina.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/us/mark-harris-nc-voter-fraud.html

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2019, 04:04:11 pm »
Wednesday, 27th February 2019
Operative charged in congressional race

by Associated Press

(RALEIGH, N.C.) — The Latest on the unresolved North Carolina congressional race (all times local):

An operative in North Carolina's unresolved congressional race has been charged with obstruction and illegal ballot possession related to 2016 and 2018 elections .

Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman said Wednesday that Leslie McCrae Dowless Jr. was arrested after the grand jury indictments.

According to testimony and other findings detailed at an election board hearing last week, Dowless conducted an illegal "ballot harvesting" operation.

He and his assistants are accused of gathering up absentee ballots from voters by offering to put them in the mail.

State law makes it illegal for anyone other than the voter or a close relative to handle a mail-in ballot.

Also charged were people Dowless allegedly paid in 2016 to collect ballots.

Dowless was working on behalf of Republican candidate Mark Harris, who had a slim lead in last November's vote count before a new election was ordered.

Three well-known Republicans are staying out of a North Carolina congressional race being re-run after suspicions of ballot fraud tainted the first try.

Instead, the GOP's 50-year hold on the seat will be left to lesser-known candidates.

Mark Harris said Tuesday he will not run in the new election the state elections board ordered unanimously last week.

Harris was the apparent winner of the 9th Congressional District race before ballot fraud allegations surfaced.

Harris was hospitalized last month by a blood infection and said he suffered two strokes. He said he needs surgery late next month.

Former U.S. Rep. Robert Pittenger and former Gov. Pat McCrory also say they won't seek the seat.

Catawba College politics professor Michael Bitzer says GOP candidates must distance themselves from the scandal that forced the new race.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-latest-operative-charged-in-congressional-race/ar-BBU9YQf?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2019, 07:02:48 am »
Monday, 11th March 2019
Federal investigators issue subpoenas in NC-9 investigation
by Nick Ochsner

(CHARLOTTE, NC) - The Department of Justice has issued subpoenas for a federal grand jury investigation into allegations of election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

The US Department of Justice’s Public Integrity Section has issued at least three subpoenas for documents related to the 9th District.

Would Like To Know More?
http://www.wbtv.com/2019/03/12/federal-investigators-issue-subpoenas-nc-investigation/

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2019, 08:44:34 am »
Thursday, 28th March 2019
Stringer Strung Out!
by Associated Press

Another useful card from the popular collectable card game, Magic The Gathering is called, 'Path To Exile', to remove threats completely from the game in a instant.

Got it?  O.K.  onto the story...

(PHOENIX, AZ) — Arizona Rep. David Stringer resigned Wednesday amid an ethics investigation of 1983 sex charges and his comments on race and immigration.

The Prescott Republican lawmaker stepped down as he faced a 5 p.m. deadline to hand over documents demanded by the House Ethics Committee.

Earlier in the day he made an emergency request for a judge to block the Legislature from expelling him, then withdrew it as a hearing was scheduled to begin.

"I'm grateful that the House will not be forced to take action against one of our members, and we can begin to put this matter behind us," Republican House Speaker Rusty Bowers said in a statement announcing Stringer's resignation.

Stringer did not respond to a request for comment.

His resignation letter said only:

"This is to confirm my resignation as State Representative for Legislative District 1, effective 4 p.m. this date, March 27, 2019."

Stringer is the subject of two ethics complaints following newspaper reports that he was charged with sex crimes more than three decades ago.

The charges were later expunged.

"His actions were unbecoming of a state legislator, and racism should have no place in the House of Representatives," Rep. Reginald Bolding, a Democrat who filed one of the two complaints, said in a statement.

"The evidence that he was trying to withhold from the Ethics Committee must be damning since he chose to quit rather than comply with a subpoena."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/arizona-lawmaker-resigns-amid-probe-of-1983-sex-charges/ar-BBVjAcY?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2019, 09:05:13 am »
Friday, 12th April 2019
Representative Ayanna Pressley On Her First 100 Days In Congress
by Kimberly Atkins

U.S. Rep. Ayanna Pressley talked to WBUR’S Kimberly Atkins about her first 100 days in Congress, during which she questioned President Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen, filed or co-sponsored 115 bills and spoke on the House floor about the struggles she and her families have faced.

Questions and responses below from their conversation were edited for brevity and clarity.

You’ve had a busy 100 days. How do you feel about your time so far?

I feel grateful to be here. But as inspired as I am by the good work that we’re undertaking here in this Democratic-majority Congress, I’m always sitting with the gravity of the times we find ourselves in, and asking myself the question: Am I doing what I was sent here to do?

And so in this moment I do feel encouraged because I do believe we are acting on the motivations behind my run and what I pledged to do in that race: to be bold, to ask  questions that shake the table and never forget the people of the Massachusetts 7th.

One of the lessons that I learned here during new member orientation is: don’t forget the plot. And the plot is the people.

That’s what I’m always coming back to — the impact on the people of the Massachusetts 7th District.

You often speak in personal terms — about your and your family’s experiences and struggles — when you speak about policy and legislation. Why do you think that’s important?

The best policies are data-driven, and the data are the lived experiences of the people we are sent here to represent. It’s not about lifting up my story, it’s that in lifting up my story we are lifting up the stories of millions. It’s important, especially now, that people know that they are seen.

I could develop the backpay bill [to cover contractors impacted by the government shutdown] because I was actively listening to those most impacted, and it was only then that I found out that there was no mechanism for that.

I want to lift up stories of hardship and struggle not only to keep us accountable, but also to harness the innovation. That is the interesting thing about the dichotomy of the Massachusetts 7th, because here we see very stark disparities.

But, this is a district that also boasts many assets, beginning with its people but also the various institutions and industries that drive the district — industries like healthcare and financial services.

So I share my story because I hope that by doing that I’m amplifying the story of the lived experience of millions.

Congress is known as a slow-moving and gridlocked body. Has that been your experience so far?

Right now, I think there are a number of precedent-setting things that are occurring given the unprecedented nature of our class and how representative it is, and also the fact that we have the votes and are in a Democratic majority.

I want to make sure we don’t squander a moment to advance an agenda for the American people.

The Oversight and Reform Committee has for eight years given this administration a pass, and those days are over.

Though some people characterize what we are doing on the committee as a partisan witch hunt, this is, I think, the greatest demonstration of patriotism, which is truth, transparency and accountability.

The Financial Services Committee [has] established the first diversity and inclusion subcommittee in the history of Congress to diversify the financial services industry and also to address the wealth gap.

This is the time to lead, and that is what we are doing in this Democratic majority.

So what’s next?

Well, I need this MCL to be healed [after a fall last month] so I can get back to my heels, that’s what’s next for me. But other than that, hopefully just more of the same.

And I’m so enjoying my committee assignments and the work of these committees, and they really do speak to the challenges and the opportunity that exist in the Massachusetts 7th.

So stay tuned.

And in the meantime, I’m looking forward to being in the district during the two-week recess and spending time in the community with the people to update them and to hear from them what they want from this Congress through me.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2019/04/12/mass-congresswoman-ayanna-pressley-100-days

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2019, 09:53:38 am »
Right now, I think there are a number of precedent-setting things that are occurring given the unprecedented nature of our class and how representative it is, and also the fact that we have the votes and are in a Democratic majority.

I want to make sure we don’t squander a moment to advance an agenda for the American people.

The Oversight and Reform Committee has for eight years given this administration a pass, and those days are over.

.............................   This is the time to lead, and that is what we are doing in this Democratic majority.

minor nitpick.  Eight years?  45's only been in office two.   so maybe she's referring to Republicans writ large ;)
continued success to her!  :)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2019, 10:43:00 am »

.............................   This is the time to lead, and that is what we are doing in this Democratic majority.

minor nitpick.  Eight years?  45's only been in office two.   so maybe she's referring to Republicans writ large ;)
continued success to her!  :)

Dag, Hype... you're good!  :)

Didn't even catch that part in her comments in that interview. :-[

Either that comment is a typo or maybe the congresswoman is still gaining what we swabbies call her 'sea legs' in Washington, D.C.   ...meaning a little wobbly at launch but with practice, start to balance her footing on the ship's deck.  :)

...or maybe, it just feels like 8 years to her at the rate of corruption & gridlock puppetine & the republicans is demonstrating.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2019, 11:52:06 am »
Tuesday, 28th May 2019
Whitley Whittled Away!
by Sandford Nowlin

Remember what I wrote earlier about how nice 'Path to Exile' is in the classic collectable card game, Magic The Gathering?

Texas Secretary of State David Whitley — the engineer of a highly publicized botched effort to kick non-citizens off the state's voter rolls — has resigned.

The Texas Senate closed out the legislative session Monday without confirming Whitley, the state’s top election official and a former aide to Republican Gov. Greg Abbott.

Under the Texas Constitution, the secretary of state must resign if the Senate fails to confirm him during the session.

And resign Whitley did.

Just before the fall of the Senate's closing gavel, he issued a letter withdrawing from the position, which was first reported by the Austin-American Statesman.

During Whitley's six-month tenure, his office flagged nearly 100,000 voters for citizenship review based on faulty data.

Nearly a quarter of the people were added in error, some of whom had become naturalized citizens.

The mishandled review resulted in a probe by the U.S. House and a flurry of lawsuits from civil rights groups.

Texas recently settled three of the suits, which alleged that the state was trying to intimidate minority voters, keeping with its long history of voter suppression.

Earlier this session, all 12 Democratic senators indicated they would vote against Whitley's confirmation.

Even with the support of all 19 Republicans in the body, he'd still have been short of the two-thirds majority needed to keep his job.

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2019/05/28/texas-secretary-of-state-david-whitley-resigns-facing-no-confirmation-vote-from-senate

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2019, 07:36:06 pm »
Friday, 14th June 2019
Murder, She Wrote
by ANDREW DeMILLO of Associated Press

(LITTLE ROCK, Ark.) — Authorities on Friday night said they've arrested an Arkansas woman in connection with the killing of a former gop state senator who was found dead outside her own home.

Arkansas State Police said they and Randolph County sheriff's deputies arrested 48-year-old Rebecca Lynn O'Donnell in connection with the death of former state Sen. Linda Collins.

Police said criminal charges were pending and did not say whether they were seeking any other suspects in Collins' death.

Collins, who went by Collins-Smith in the Legislature, was found dead June 4 outside her home in Pocahontas, about 130 miles (210 kilometers) northeast of Little Rock.

A State Police spokesman declined to say where O'Donnell was being held.

The Randolph County jail referred questions to the sheriff, who did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Collins served one term in the state House and was originally elected as a Democrat in 2010.

But she switched parties and became a Republican in 2011, the year before the GOP won control of both chambers of the Legislature.

She was elected to the state Senate in 2014 and was one of the most conservative lawmakers in the majority - GOP chamber.

She lost re-election in the Republican primary last year.

Authorities have released few details about Collins' killing and have not said how the former lawmaker was killed.

A judge last week granted a request by prosecutors to seal documents and statements obtained by police during the investigation.

Collins' funeral is scheduled for Saturday morning in Pocahontas.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/police-arkansas-woman-arrested-in-ex-lawmakers-death/ar-AACTMpe?ocid=spartanntp
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:12:46 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2019, 06:04:31 pm »
Tuesday, 25th June 2019
Rep. Duncan Hunter used campaign funds for extramarital affairs, prosecutors say
by Caroline S. Engelmayer

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) — Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., used campaign money to fund a series of extramarital affairs with congressional staffers and lobbyists, federal prosecutors allege in a new court filing in his corruption case.

Prosecutors say Mr. Hunter improperly diverted funds “to pursue these romances wholly unrelated to either his congressional campaigns or his official duties as a member of Congress.”

The filing comes less than two weeks after Mr. Hunter’s wife and former campaign manager, Margaret Hunter, pleaded guilty of conspiring to misuse campaign funds.

In August, a federal grand jury indicted the couple, alleging they illegally financed a lavish lifestyle of travel, gifts, fine dining and other expenses with campaign money, then submitted false reports to the Federal Election Commission to cover it up.

In total, prosecutors said, the Hunters spent more than $250,000 on personal expenses — including dental care and their children’s tuition — that they listed as campaign-related gifts, donations and travel.

In Monday’s motion, prosecutors asked a federal judge for permission to present evidence about the extramarital affairs as part of their case.

Mr. Hunter declined Tuesday to respond to the allegations and gave no sign that he would seek a deal with prosecutors to settle the case.

“I’m going to trial on this, right? So I’m not going to give you a statement on their allegations,” he told reporters outside the House chamber.

He accused Justice Department prosecutors of engaging in a “personal smear campaign.”

The trial is due to begin in September in federal court for the Southern District of California.

Prosecutors approached Mr. Hunter about making a deal “that would eliminate the need to introduce this potentially sensitive evidence at trial,” they wrote in the filing. Mr. Hunter’s attorney declined.

Ms. Hunter’s surprise guilty plea June 13 has complicated the congressman’s defense, legal experts say.

Former prosecutor and San Diego attorney Jason A. Forge said it is likely prosecutors will call Ms. Hunter to testify against her husband in return for a lighter prison sentence.

“They clearly have testimony from his mistresses, testimony from his campaign manager, testimony from other witnesses,” Mr. Forge said.

“Despite all of that, they’ve recommended a substantial (sentencing) reduction for her. I don’t know of any other benefit the government could get from her without her testimony.”

He said that during her testimony, lawyers would probably ask her to confirm that “she and her husband knew what they were doing” and intended to “use campaign funds to finance their lifestyle.”

Mr. Hunter — an outspoken supporter of puppetine who won re-election in November despite facing the criminal charges — alleged that prosecutors were targeting him for his political beliefs.

In a filing Sunday, his lawyer argued that the prosecutors had backed Hillary Clinton in her 2016 presidential bid and said the case should be dismissed.

The Justice Department responded by asking the court to exclude allegations of political bias against the government’s lawyers.

Prosecutors included highly detailed descriptions of Mr. Hunter’s alleged affairs with five women — none identified by name.

The filing describes one Lake Tahoe ski trip in 2009 that Mr. Hunter allegedly paid for entirely with campaign money, including a $351 car rental, $180 plane ticket and a $1,008 hotel tab.

Prosecutors described the spending down to a $7 beer he purchased in the resort bar.

Alleged expenditures on other women included drinks, dinners and Uber rides.

One woman, identified as “Individual 17,” is described as a lobbyist who organized fundraisers for the congressman.

According to the filing’s description of a January 2015 encounter, “(t)hat night, however, was not about business:

at around 11:00 pm, Mr. Hunter and I-17 departed the Hamilton (Hotel) together for her home, where they engaged in intimate personal activities unrelated to Mr. Hunter’s congressional campaign or duties as a member of Congress.

Mr. Hunter left her house at 1:23 a.m. Although this was a strictly personal encounter, Mr. Hunter used campaign funds to pay the $42 in Uber fares.”

Prosecutors also suggested there are more damaging details to come.

“Hunter improperly used campaign funds to pursue other clearly non-work related activity during get-togethers with his close personal friends,” the filing reads.

The filing didn’t specify what the activity was, but prosecutors said that publicly disclosing it “runs the risk of improperly tainting the jury pool before the trial begins.”

They said they are discussing with Mr. Hunter the possibility of a stipulation that will mean they won’t have to submit evidence about this activity to the court.

They asked the judge whether they could file the evidence under seal that if that didn’t work.

Mr. Forge said that if Mr. Hunter is considering a stipulation and prosecutors are asking to file evidence under seal, they must think “this other category of information is way more inflammatory than using campaign funds to finance his affairs.”

“I have to think it’s some sort of bombshell,” he said.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-nation/2019/06/25/Rep-Duncan-Hunter-campaign-funds-extramarital-affairs-prosecutors/stories/201906250176

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2019, 02:18:30 pm »
Wenesday, 3rd July 2019
LA Times editorial board calls on Duncan Hunter to resign immediately
by Rebecca Klar

The LA Times editorial board is calling on Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) to resign immediately, amid a lawsuit alleging the congressman misused $250,000 in campaign cash over six years including on extramarital affairs with congressional staffers and lobbyists.

The editorial, published Wednesday, says the lawmakers should step down "so he can spend more time with his lawyers. He's really going to need it."

"Hunter's in a tough place. Between preparing a defense against the mountain of evidence amassed by prosecutors and sitting in a courtroom while his family's dirty laundry is aired, he can't possibly be an effective representative for his district," the editorial reads.

"He should resign immediately and clear the way for a special election."

Hunter and his wife, Margaret, were indicted last year on 60 criminal counts related to alleged campaign finance violations.

Both initially pleaded not guilty, but his wife pleaded guilty in June to conspiring to misuse campaign funds.

She could face up to five years in prison.

"Though Hunter managed to eke out a win in November against a neophyte progressive Democrat in the heavily Republican district he represents, we wonder if voters would still support him today in light of his wife's guilty plea and the allegations about several extramarital relationships, some of them long-term," the LA Times board wrote.

The board also wrote that "if Hunter were an honorable man," he would have at least taken a leave of absence last year after being indicted.

The leave wouldn't have to serve as "an admission of guilt," but to acknowledge that charges are a distraction from serving in Congress, according to the piece.

"Our position on this issue has nothing to do with Hunter's politics.

If he were a Democrat or an independent or anyone else in a position of power, we'd call for his or her resignation," the editorial reads.

"These are serious charges that, if proved, mean Hunter is unfit to serve in public office. It's time, past time really, for Hunter to step up by stepping down from Congress. If he is cleared of the charges, he can run again."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/la-times-editorial-board-calls-on-duncan-hunter-to-resign-immediately/ar-AADOdkM?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2019, 03:35:29 pm »
Thursday, 4th July 2019
Amash Is Awash!
by Donna Dassata

Representative Justin Amash, the only Republican in Congress to have accused puppetine of impeachable acts, said Thursday that he is leaving the gop and becoming an independent, bemoaning that “modern politics is trapped in a partisan death spiral, but there is an escape.”

In an op-ed in The Washington Post, the Michigan congressman described himself as a lifelong Republican who has grown disenchanted with party politics and frightened by a two-party system that has “evolved into an existential threat to American principles and institutions.”

Citing the warnings in George Washington’s farewell address, Amash said Americans “have allowed government officials, under assertions of expediency and party unity, to ignore the most basic tenets of our constitutional order: separation of powers, federalism and the rule of law.”

He maintained that most Americans are not “rigidly partisan” and that the country can do better than the two-party system.

“No matter your circumstance, I’m asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us,” Amash wrote, declaring his party affiliation as independent on the nation’s Independence Day.

He maintained that most Americans are not “rigidly partisan” and that the country can do better than the two-party system.

“No matter your circumstance, I’m asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us,” Amash wrote, declaring his party affiliation as independent on the nation’s Independence Day.

Amash, who was elected in the tea party wave of 2010, embraced libertarian principles and repeatedly broke with his party on major issues and even the mundane before he challenged the president.

A few hours after Amash’s declaration, the acting-president derided him in a tweet:

“Great news for the Republican Party as one of the dumbest & most disloyal men in Congress is ‘quitting’ the Party. No Collusion, No Obstruction! Knew he couldn’t get the nomination to run again in the Great State of Michigan. Already being challenged for his seat. A total loser!”

House Republican leaders had no immediate response to Amash quitting the party.

Amash does not mention puppetine by name in the op-ed, but his party switch comes weeks after he posted tweets arguing that former special counsel Robert S. Mueller III documented “impeachable conduct” in his report on Trump’s campaign and administration and Russian interference in the 2016 election.

In subsequent public statements, Amash challenged colleagues from both parties to act.

About 80 House Democrats and several 2020 presidential candidates have called for launching impeachment proceedings against puppetine, a step that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has resisted.

Amash is the only Republican calling for such a move.

His stand has drawn the wrath of puppetine, widespread criticism from other Republicans, and a challenger in next year’s election. Amash, 39, who is serving his fourth term, has not announced whether he will run again.

He has acknowledged that he is instead considering running for president as a member of the Libertarian Party.

Michigan state Rep. Jim Lower, a Republican, announced his bid for Amash’s House seat, describing himself as “a Pro-chump, Pro-Life, Pro-Jobs, Pro-2nd Amendment, Pro-Family Values Republican.”

Last month, chump jr., the president’s eldest son, indicated that he planned to campaign for Lower.

“See you soon Justin,” chump jr. said in a tweet.

“I hear Michigan is beautiful during primary season.”

Attached to his tweet were poll results showing Amash trailing Lower in Michigan’s 3rd Congressional District.

Past supporters of Amash also turned on him in the aftermath of his impeachment comments.

The leader of the Club for Growth, a conservative group that has staunchly backed Amash since his first congressional run in 2010, and whose spending helped him overcome a 2014 primary challenge, criticized his comments.

The congressman has been steadfast in defending his position.

Facing voters at a town hall in Grand Rapids several weeks ago, Amash said Congress “has a duty to keep the president in check.”

“I’d do it whether it was a Republican president or a Democratic president,” he said.

“It doesn’t matter. You elected me to represent all of you.”

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has dismissed Amash as an outlier among Republicans, citing a number of instances in which the congressman voted with Democrats.

“Justin Amash can determine his own future. But I think, on a philosophical basis, he’s probably in a different place than the majority of all of us,” McCarthy said last month.

Amash also left the conservative House Freedom Caucus, a group he helped found four years ago.

It was unclear whether the congressman would caucus with Democrats.

The only other independents in Congress — Sens. Bernie Sanders (Vt.) and Angus King (Maine) — caucus with Democrats in the Senate.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:00:31 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2019, 08:17:48 am »
Acosta Resigns At Great Cost!

Labor Secretary Acosta just announced that he is resigning 7 days from today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2019, 10:02:55 am »
Monday, 12th August 2019
Missouri has a new Democratic gubernatorial contender
by Dori Olmos

Missouri state Auditor Nicole Galloway is running for governor.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/missouri-auditor-nicole-galloway-announces-run-for-governor/ar-AAFH7en?ocid=spartanntp