Author Topic: Superfly  (Read 285 times)

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
Superfly
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:28:11 pm »
Just saw "Superfly" it wasn't terrible, but they didn't try hard enough. Any episode of Empire has better production values, flyer clothes and bigger sets. The hotep brothers saying it should be boycotted are right, it's one long cocaine commercial and a bad influence on today's culture. They tried to tack on some cock and bull social commentary about police brutality and political corruption, but it was too little too late. If as much time was spent on everything else, as getting Priest's perm right, it would have been a much better film. Still it had some laughs, a couple quotables, surprise cameos and Trevor Jackson held it down as Priest. I don't know wtf Future was doing with the music though, it was as forgettable as the film was unbelievable (people were dodging bullets and ducking machine gun fire and $#hit). It's a man's movie, it's all about us, but in the end the women push the plot forward. I give it a 2 out of 5, it's better than Belly but not as good as Takers.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Superfly
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:52:24 am »
I'm giving the protesters TripleX's address as we speak!

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 06:41:38 am »

lol I had to see it man. The original is one of my least favorite of the 70's Blaxploitation films but I love the genre and was curious about a contemporary take on it. I also wanted to know how Future would stack up against Curtis Mayfield, to no one's surprise the answer is not very well. Heard three Future songs on the radio yesterday, the fact that none of them came from the soundtrack when the movie was released this week is telling.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 09:46:11 am »
I knew people who had small parts in the original, so I'm very hesitant about this remake.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:45:47 pm »

lol I had to see it man. The original is one of my least favorite of the 70's Blaxploitation films but I love the genre and was curious about a contemporary take on it. I also wanted to know how Future would stack up against Curtis Mayfield, to no one's surprise the answer is not very well. Heard three Future songs on the radio yesterday, the fact that none of them came from the soundtrack when the movie was released this week is telling.
Superfly is one of your least favorite blaxploitation films?  Which are your favorites? 

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 09:52:31 pm »

Superfly is one of your least favorite blaxploitation films?  Which are your favorites?

If he doesn't mention THE MACK I demand an IMMEDIATE ban!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 09:54:15 pm »
I knew people who had small parts in the original, so I'm very hesitant about this remake.

I need to get some money so I can lend it and recreate the classic scene.

"If you don't have my money TO-NIGHT"

8)

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 10:03:17 pm »

1. The Mack
2. Shaft
3. Willie Dynamite
4.Ganja & Hess
5. Abar: the Fist Black Superman

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 07:25:20 pm »
Not sure if the last two even count in that category.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:49 pm »
He selected The Mack so I vote for a pass.

This time!

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:46:21 am »

Cool, swap em out for Three the Hard Way and Bucktown.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 03:05:59 am »

Cool, swap em out for Three the Hard Way and Bucktown.
Fair deal.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 12:34:01 pm »
Some thoughts so far (evolving, will revisit soon)

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would.  I'd give it an A-minus. 8)

Was this Director X's first feature film?  I'm not overly familiar with whatever music videos he's been involved with-- and I suppose in the YouTube era of such, I scarcely pay attention to whom is the director.

I liked that the movie took the broad strokes of the original's plot, but didn't try and recreate it note for note.  I have a dim memory of Joel Silver being the producer behind Action Jackson and Romeo Must Die.

Putting things in Atlanta was a good choice creatively.  ATL-area peeps can point out the various neighborhoods and landmarks, but the cityscapes were impressive.  Props to the costume designer, the fashions here are pretty impressive.

Michael Williams as Scatter was a solid move-- including making him a kung fu expert was  a nice upgrade. 

I don't recall seeing Esai Morales in years, nice to see him show up here.  (And the Mama! so ruthless!!)

Trevor Jackson as a (more or less) Generation Z Priest works, I'm not familiar with his other work, but he seems to be comfortable in the role-- his Priest is similarly a plan-ahead, smarter-and-more-careful than most hustler,

Jason Mitchell was enjoyable to watch as Eddie.  I was semi-prepared for the twist, but I was intrigued to see how they pulled it off.

I would have liked to see more with the crooked cops, I couldn't help but notice that the APD folks the heroes dealt with were all Caucasian, lol..

Big Boi as the mayor!! of course he is... lol.. I couldn't help but be reminded of Detroit's own former mayor.. let me stop...  ;D

The Snow Patrol boss looked like a combination of Birdman and Rick Ross.. heh..

Rick Ross of course plays himself here, seemingly... surprised he hasn't been in more movies so far..

Who played the Snow Patrol's main goon?  he lasted a lot longer in the narrative than I thought he would.. lol..

The fights were all pretty satisfying, the subtext with the police stops, and of course how a confederate statue was "repurposed"--  ;)

Priest's ladies! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  I hadn't noticed them before, but hopefully we'll see them again in TV and films soon  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:46:16 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 06:14:05 am »
When I saw the trailer I was not impressed and then when I saw some reviews that confirmed it. Though I also began seeing some positive or decent reviews for this film and I got intrigued when I heard that the film was better than Belly, along with other reasons. I used a free ticket to check it out.

And the film was better than I thought it would be. I'm not saying it's 'good' but it is a guilty pleasure kind of film. I wasn't sold on Trevor Jackson as Priest though. When I thought more about it, I think T.I. should've played Priest. He has the Atlanta ties, he's about the right age I envision a world weary character like Priest should be, and he likely would've done a better soundtrack than Future did. Jackson was okay, but it took him a while IMO to get into the role and it was still hard for me to buy that a 20-year-old would have amassed that much wealth, was living that kind of life, and the authorities didn't know about it. It's not like his partner Eddie or his lieutenant Fat Freddie were the most quiet people, so that was stretching things. Jason Mitchell, Esai Morales, and Michael K. Williams I thought all did good jobs in supporting roles. Now that I think about it, the supporting cast in general wasn't bad.

I had a lot of trepidation going into this movie about stereotypes and glorifying the drug dealing/gang culture lifestyle and I do think some of that is in there, but the movie was so unbelievable at points that it was hard for me to see how many could take it seriously. The Snow Patrol, with all white everything, were like a comic book gang, and there were times when the sleek trench coats Priest wore looked like capes. It was a ghetto superhero story, which probably was the intention of the original Superfly anyway. I only saw that film once, many years ago, and wasn't that impressed with it. The Curtis Mayfield soundtrack is great though. The Future soundtrack was mostly forgettable. I do think it started off on a good note with the Lil'Jon song but then it just faded into the background. I think the soundtrack was a missed opportunity to really shine the light on a lot of the music that came out of Atlanta (LaFace, So-So Def, TLC, T.I., Xscape, Usher, Jazze Pha, Killer Mike, Outkast, Goodie Mob, etc., etc.).

At times this played like a big music video, though it didn't maintain that sheen throughout. I do think Superfly 2018 is better than Belly and what I saw of Belly 2. It's also better than State Property. I put New Jack City, Menace II Society, Boyz N the Hood, American Gangster, South Central, Get Rich or Die Tryin', Paid in Full, Dead Presidents, above it. As mentioned above, Takers was also a better film.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 06:25:27 am »
Not only did Emperorjones SEE the film he ENJOYED it as well!

You're being reported too!