Author Topic: black history music month: the female singer  (Read 221 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
black history music month: the female singer
« on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:55 am »
different styles, but all jamming.  check out the main page then come back and post here!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: black history music month: the female singer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:50 am »
So a few observations/reactions:
  • Man, we're getting old... ;D
  • Cassandra Wilson appears on both this list and the singer/songwriter list as the only woman there. Feels like there ought to be other candidates but no one has come to mind yet.
  • Whitney doesn't rate that highly for me but I appear to be on a lonely island on that.
  • Sarah Vaughn anyone?
  • Is there anybody younger than Cassandra Wilson (and still alive) in the honorable mentions who might one day move into the pantheon?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:44 am »
the black female singer/songwriter is a tricky proposition.  I can name many white ones, from Bjork to Carole King to Joni Mitchell.  But I could think of their black equivalents that could be on the same list as Stevie Wonder, Prince and Smokey Robinson.  But there are a lot of artists whose process I don't know.  Please enlighten me! 

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:06:40 am »
And yes, I"m a huge Cassandra Wilson fan, but when it comes to female singers are are so many greats I left off the list.  I could do another ten names without breaking a sweat.

I have, over time, been convinced that I have been too hard on Whitney.  Jamie Foxx in particular gave a very persuasive argument one day.  He told me basically every great female singer I love is a fan of Whitney.