Author Topic: The Star Wars Debate: THE PHANTOM BLACKNESS  (Read 354 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The Star Wars Debate: THE PHANTOM BLACKNESS
« on: June 17, 2018, 04:17:54 pm »
I've been following the Battle involving Disney and Star Wars Fandom and it has been very intriguing.

As is often the case Science Fiction and comic book fandom is presented as something almost entirely White and male in much of the media coverage. There are almost NO Black Star Wars fans being featured either for or against the current iteration of the franchise and for Disney ALL of their corporate representatives have been non Black as well. Kathleen Kennedy clearly wanted to push a feminist agenda in the Star Wars movie series and now that there is a backlash coupled with the failure of Solo, the narrative has changed.

Suddenly, "Diversity" has popped up as the catchphrase from Disney with the struggle for Black representation in the genre being co-opted as a form of defense. For all of the recent talk by Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson and others about having more people of color represented in The Star Wars Franchise, what have they given us? There have been no Black directors, screenwriters,or executive producers associated with ANY of the projects. In terms of what has been portrayed onscreen we have Finn, an ex sanitation worker who gets shot at(RUNS),gets punched(RUNS), fights a little bit(RUNS some more) and then gets stabbed! To make matters worse they take Lando Calrissian, Pirate, President, and SPACE PIMP and use his character as the focal point for pansexualism!

There has never been more pressure on The Star Wars franchise than there is now and I'm very interested to see where Black fans of the series end up in all this.   

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Star Wars Debate: THE PHANTOM BLACKNESS
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 06:43:36 am »
Hopefully black folks are starting to wake up to the 'diversity' con. Diversity doesn't automatically mean blacks will benefit or even be included, or made important. Finn is a diverse but also a regressive character. At the end of the day Star Wars is still about white people saving the galaxy. And new Star Wars despite being peopled by a lot more 'people of color' often in background roles actually regresses all too often the few non-white characters its allegedly promoting. You've listed some of the problems with Finn, but Last Jedi made Poe into a sexist that needed to be taken down a peg or two. So to me the diversity is fake, it's just a smoke screen to make something not innovative or fresh appear to be so. There's also the feminism injected into the new films, though even that feminism might itself be a smokescreen. I mean, in the new saga, while Rey is the surface hero, the film's are more about Ben and his struggles between the light and the dark. Rey became involved in trying to turn him in TLJ, just like Han did in TFA, so Ben is the character that everything revolves around, but they are selling it as "Rey's story" (along with some girl power flourishes) in an attempt to get more female viewers/customers but also to get media attention. One of the You Tube videos I watched hipped me to that Kathleen Kennedy/Lucasfilm have hired a lot of white men to be directors for these films. And I need to check, but I'm guessing the majority of the writers are also white men. Certainly Kennedy is at the head and she's making decisions, but her decisions include hiring more white men, which aren't that groundbreaking. Yet, they want to provide a surface diversity, it's the illusion of change.

While I tend to agree that a lot of this debate is mostly a 'white thing' there are quite a few black You Tube reviews for Star Wars films and also some black critics talking about the ongoing issues with Disney, Solo, The Last Jedi. This is not a comprehensive list, but it's a start.

! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:03:02 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Star Wars Debate: THE PHANTOM BLACKNESS
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 06:50:15 am »