no matter how directed,
no matter how justified,
spills over.
Hate,
no matter how directed,
no matter how justified,
injected with fear,
floods.

Hatred alone can only go so far. Most will resist it. Add self-interest and more will embrace it. Add fear and most will be overwhelmed by it.
Delegitimization.
Fear-mongering.
Dehumanization.
Violence.

The antidotes?
Mindful listening.
Empathy.
Thoughtful questions.
Compassion.
Love.

Despite the antidotes, in this perfect-yet-imperfect reality of good and evil, joy and suffering, love and hate, light and dark, yin and yang, self-defense is sometimes necessary. When pursued, it should be with reluctance and sadness. With vigilance to commence its cessation and reconciliation.

Allowing that which must take place in this Eternal Moment.
Awareness replacing fear.
Love replacing hate.
Unity replacing separation.
Now.
One.
🙏

[These thoughts were triggered by events occurring at the "Occupy I.C.E." encampment. One chant going far afield from the mistreatment of immigrants and their families seeking asylum or jobs in the United States. And by disparaging vulgar references to I.C.E. agents. Such as, "pieces of sh*t." To such a dehumanizing reference, my response was, "They are just people" "Who?!!" "The I.C.E. agents. At the heart of their souls there is purity just like at the heart of your soul - it is just covered by layers and layers of filthy gauze and garments that need to be unwound" - waving my arms in a spinning motion excitedly. (These observations apply to all, or most, of us, including myself). Some agreed that it is important to keep this in mind and that some have had experience "reaching" others - such as soldiers, for example, in different yet similar contexts.

My point was the importance of coming from a place of nonviolence and love. As a means of influencing the thinking of more people. These were the approaches of Gandhi and King, when circumstances allowed their effectiveness.

These thoughts also reflect introspection surrounding my own reactions after September 11, 2001. And the means of moving beyond them.]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:34:18 am by michaelintp »
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Hate
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:06:48 pm »
Glad you're back Michael.

You continue to stun.

Your sentiment...love...is right on.

That it was inspired by the ICE agents, not the kids caged, blows my mind.  How does that work in your mind and heart that your concern is for the hunters, and not the hunted?

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 11:27:45 am »
Hi Reginald.  ;)

The conversation I describe was after several in which I expressed intense concern, compassion and love for the victims. Poor little children separated from their parents - kidnapped by persons driven by an authoritarian and racist ideology. Or just following orders given by such people. I can so feel the horror the children and parents felt. That is what has motivated me to support and participate in the protests, and hang out with the "occupiers" ❤. And it goes beyond that - opposition to all the hateful demonization of immigrants, of others.

I feel that human consciousness needs to be elevated, at a pace commensurate with technology, or we as a species are doomed (except for the few possible survivors ... whose consciousness may be raised by global trauma, which I pray does not take place).

I mention the interchange regarding the I.C.E. agents as it seems to reflect the same old level of consciousness - dehumanization of other human beings. Sometimes it is emotionally hard NOT to - when looking at perpetrators. But that is the "old" level of consciousness. Swirling around and around, down and down.  When we need to somehow spin and shoot up.

How do we do that? Maybe by being driven by LOVE. By compassion, concern, and empathy with the victims. Not "hatred" of the perpetrators. Either way the "action" - the "protest" - may be identical, but the energy created from a place of LOVE is very different than the energy produced from a place of hate.

Allowing the LOVE to spill over.

I was laughing with a friend - what I am describing is similar to my understanding of things Jesus said. But common with Sufis, with Taoists, with Buddhists, and so on, too. Truth is universal.

(Reginald - where I am coming from is very different, in some ways, from what you grew to expect. A process of shedding - ideologies of all types, self-definitions, definitions of others, and so on, as much as one can. Heart opening. Meditating every day. Loving all sentient beings. Sending healing thoughts and energy. I don't want to make too much of it - sooo much work to do - but it is kind of like a person emerging from under tons of rubble - you know from where).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:26:43 pm by michaelintp »
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 05:17:03 pm »
By the way ...

lovely to "hear" your voice, Reginald. After so long. ❤
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 08:49:51 am »
Reginald, did I explain adequately? My concern, compassion and empathy is for victims and potential victims. My concern is also for those (including myself) who oppose the ideology and heartlessness producing the harm. And the effect of this on us. My concern is not for the perpetrators per se. But rather the spiritual effect "hatred of the perpetrators" has on those who are seeking to stop the harm.

Action can come from a place of LOVE. Or action can come from a place of hate. Both spill over to other areas, and to others. LOVE cleanses, hate pollutes.

LOVE is the consciousness needed to pull us out of this cycle. Hate is the old unconsciousness that creates never-ending downward cycles.

All this said, sometimes self-defense is necessary in this reality. Though even that should come from a place of LOVE for those being protected.

That was what prompted my comment. ❤🙏

I'm just sharing what I myself have been experiencing. I know others feel differently. While others feel the same. The yang and yin. 💫

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 03:44:04 pm by michaelintp »
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 04:20:02 am »
Yes, I think I understand you now.

Thank you for being out there and participating in the protests, fighting for the protection of children.  This is one of the great moral crimes of our era happening right this second in our country.

And yes, while they may be beyond redemption, it's important to remember the people who are committing this crimes are human.

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 05:18:20 pm »
 ✊😍
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6