Author Topic: Brightbun  (Read 613 times)

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Brightbun
« on: December 09, 2018, 11:40:07 am »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Brightbun
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 04:37:44 am »
wow.  I guess we'll see how this turns out.  intriguing.  To my memory, this is the first mainstream studio film that I know of that is promising a dark alternate-take on superhero tropes.  Hopefully if this is successful, it will lead to more projects like this.  Obviously, DC is coming out with the Joker movie, so that's lined up.  Somehow, though, I don't think that Marvel will go there with a truly horror-based film.  I think that if Marvel were to hire Guillermo del Toro, he could do something very fascinating with some of the fantasy/horror characters.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 05:21:35 am »
wow.  I guess we'll see how this turns out.  intriguing.  To my memory, this is the first mainstream studio film that I know of that is promising a dark alternate-take on superhero tropes.  Hopefully if this is successful, it will lead to more projects like this.  Obviously, DC is coming out with the Joker movie, so that's lined up.  Somehow, though, I don't think that Marvel will go there with a truly horror-based film.  I think that if Marvel were to hire Guillermo del Toro, he could do something very fascinating with some of the fantasy/horror characters.

Your reply made me think of an older James Gunn film, Super.

Sorry...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_(2010_American_film)

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 05:41:30 am »
looking forward to this weekend.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:34:25 pm by Emperorjones »

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 02:01:25 pm »
Checked out Brightburn yesterday. I thought it was good, but not a film that is a must see in the theaters (for casual moviegoers). However, if you liked the trailer I think you will like the movie and would enjoy checking it out in the theater.

For good and bad, Brightburn was just as advertised. Looking back, I wish the trailers/promotional material hadn't been as straight-forward as it was, but the hook is just too neat not to sell people on. I don't think the film went beyond the premise enough IMO, but it did deliver as advertised, which was good. It was already a subversion so there wasn't the need to 'subvert expectations' as can be the issue with some of today's films.

I read/heard that this film cost $6-7 million and they did a good job with the budget, though there were some dicey special effects moments. But overall, the cinematography and most of the FX were well done and looked more expensive than what they actually cost. The cast, led by Elizabeth Banks and David Denham
Spoiler (click to reveal)
as the Ma and Pa Kent
of this story were good, and I thought Jackson Dunn did a very good job as Brandon
, the troubled young man at the center of the story.

While the film doesn't go overboard with blood and gore,
there is gore, and when there is it is gory. Make no mistake that Brightburn is a horror film and Brandon is a monster/slasher kind of character, just one with superpowers instead of supernatural ones.

What I didn't care for was that the film dragged, despite being only 90 minutes.
Since I already knew going in, thanks to the advertising, that this was an evil Superman origin story, that they were wasting time getting to Brandon's eventual descent into the dark side. I also didn't care for how dumb they made the parents especially. I felt that was done to stretch out the story. I didn't like that the film didn't explain where Brandon came from and why exactly he was sent to Earth, albeit, some You Tubers I watched after seeing the film pointed out that the classroom scene earlier in the film where Brandon is explaining the procreating behavior of wasps is alluding to the reason he was sent to Earth. At the time, I thought that scene was in the film to just show how awkward, nerdy, and different Brandon was, how he was alienated and bullied-I thought at that point that they would show him getting bullied a lot-but they didn't go much beyond that and only showed some teasing.

I didn't stay until the very, very end, but
as the end credits were rolling, there was additional stuff, and a conspiracy theorist played by Michael Rooker that set up a potential sequel, and that's a film I want to see more than Brightburn, because it teased an evil Justice League, which made me think this film would've been an awesome way to do a sneak Crime Syndicate movie. If there is a Brightburn II I will watch it, especially if they do an anti-Justice League.