• View Profile

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: ALITA
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:29:27 am »
I'll check it out. I forget the last film of Rodriguez I saw in theaters.  I see that Mahershala has a high profile villain role, hopefully this will be very successful.

I never got around to seeing Scarlett Johanson's anime' adaptation.  (was it any good? I'm also aware of the whitewash scandal that erupted, lol..)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 05:26:02 am »
I'm not paying to see this film, due to Michelle Rodriguez's involvement, based on her embarrassing attempted defense of Liam Neeson last week. Once I saw she had a role in this, I'm not supporting the film, which I had intended to do before Rodriguez stepped in it. I do have free movie tickets which I might use, but main thing here is 'might'.

Johanson's "Ghost in the Shell" had a great opening but nosedived after that.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
And then they double downed on the whitewashing aspects of the film, by having her character actually be an Asian woman whose brain or essence or whatever was put into Johnson's white 'shell'. I wish this film had been more of a spiritual adaptation and not an attempted literal one, just switching the action to a NY or LA set in the Ghost in the Shell universe to get away from the whitewashing stuff.
Beyond that, the movie, while doing a decent job with the production design, just dragged too much in the middle. It had a strong opening, a decent close, but the villain wasn't great (not as compelling as in the original anime) and it was boring for long stretches. Also, when I later saw Blade Runner 2049 later that year, it put Ghost in the Shell to shame when it came to the visuals.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 08:03:28 am »
I'm not paying to see this film, due to Michelle Rodriguez's involvement, based on her embarrassing attempted defense of Liam Neeson last week. Once I saw she had a role in this, I'm not supporting the film, which I had intended to do before Rodriguez stepped in it. I do have free movie tickets which I might use, but main thing here is 'might'.

Johanson's "Ghost in the Shell" had a great opening but nosedived after that.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
And then they double downed on the whitewashing aspects of the film, by having her character actually be an Asian woman whose brain or essence or whatever was put into Johnson's white 'shell'. I wish this film had been more of a spiritual adaptation and not an attempted literal one, just switching the action to a NY or LA set in the Ghost in the Shell universe to get away from the whitewashing stuff.
Beyond that, the movie, while doing a decent job with the production design, just dragged too much in the middle. It had a strong opening, a decent close, but the villain wasn't great (not as compelling as in the original anime) and it was boring for long stretches. Also, when I later saw Blade Runner 2049 later that year, it put Ghost in the Shell to shame when it came to the visuals.

Oh wow, "Letty" in this? lol.. I had no idea.. I was actually referring to Robert Rodriguez..  ;D
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 09:57:58 am »
I know you were referring to Robert Rodriguez. But I was just mentioning my issues with this film, chiefly Michelle's Rodriguez's involvement.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 07:34:35 am »
Michelle Rodriguez is not the film.

My son and I saw it last night and had a great time! He was originally reluctant to see it but a friend endorsed it so then he wanted to go.  Notice my career wasn't enough to sway him.  He had a great time.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 11:58:17 am »
Thanks for the review. I had heard Rodriguez was in the film on You Tube, and when I later checked IMDB, she is listed as Gelda, in an uncredited role. I have free movie tickets and I might use one for it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437086/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Online KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 02:01:53 pm »
I enjoyed it.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile