Author Topic: ALITA  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: ALITA
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 02:55:37 pm »
I did check out this film. It wasn't a bad film. Sometimes the CGI was dicey, but overall not a bad film, with a strong performance from Rosa Salazar in the lead role. In the trailers, especially the first one I saw, the CGI-anime look for her Salazar made her look creepy and unreal, which I guess was the point. While watching the film it wasn't as disconcerting. I also thought the cyborgs looked better in the film than they did to me in the trailers. I especially thought Alita and the character played by Ed Skrein really were well done. I also liked the hulking Centurions. They reminded me of a Terminator design that was used for one of the games, but unfortunately never put in a film.

I do have some knocks against the film. Unfortunately they made it assuming there would be a sequel or maybe even a trilogy of films, and that was a big mistake.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The way the film ends, Alita's journey is incomplete, it's just starting, and I doubt we will ever see a sequel to this film. I also thought Mahershala Ali-one of the draws for me-was mostly wasted and he didn't even get to be the mastermind. I was disappointed that they had a demented Dana Carvey looking dude as the real mastermind who could take over Ali's brain whenever he wanted. I had to double check online to see that Nova was actually Ed Norton. They show him so fast at the end I wasn't quite sure. So, I think Ali got short changed. All that being said, Ali had a Wesley Snipes vibe in this film to me, and if they ever recast the Blade role, I would like to see him in it.

Another thing that rankled was the depiction of the black
cyborg jacker who was something of an antagonist for Alita and then her boyfriend Hugo. I felt they had to first show a woman dominating a male with the black guy, and later there is a curious conversation where an Asian woman (though I think she is a proxy for Rodriguez and really white opinion) pointedly tells the black guy to get over his distrust of Alita, since her role in a war against Earth was 300 years ago. I just felt like this line was said to the black character to tell black folks (by proxy) to get over slavery. I didn't see a need for that line, and it didn't work as a rejoinder much because the black guy had some cause for concern. Even though the war was 300 years in the past, Alita had been activated in the present day and who knew what was in her head? The film held back too much about the war against Earth and who Alita truly was, waiting, perhaps, on sequels that will now never come.

The supporting cast overall wasn't bad either.
I was glad to see Christoph Waltz in a good guy role, though I didn't buy him as this bad ass bounty hunter. I thought Jennifer Connelly is definitely maintaining. I didn't buy her being married to Waltz though. Her being with Ali, I got that.
I also really enjoyed the production design of the film. It's unfortunate that there isn't an audience for it, and I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps it's a marketing issue.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:59:38 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: ALITA
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 03:08:07 pm »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile