Author Topic: Shaft Reboot gets 2019 release date  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Shaft Reboot gets 2019 release date
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 08:14:04 am »
Sorry...

So, well, I guess this version is clearly an "action comedy", right?

It certainly doesn't seem like it's just dead serious.  LOL.  Alas-- maybe this was one of the few ways a continuation was going to be made?

I wonder will they just go ahead and reveal that Roundtree's Shaft is Jackson-Shaft's father after all, instead of being his uncle.  I don't think the last film even got into who his parent was.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:18:46 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 04:40:52 pm »
I was real skeptical about this movie when I heard it was going to be a comedy, but I liked the trailer. I liked the 2000 reboot quite a bit, and I'm hoping this is as entertaining.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:25:13 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:45:29 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 05:35:06 am »
I checked out Shaft yesterday and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It's far from a perfect film by any means, but I thought it was an enjoyable one. And it had a refreshingly retro feel that gleefully was anti-"PC", so I could forgive some of the issues I had with the film in part because it exists at all. Tim Story (Barbershop, Ride Along, Fantastic Four, Think Like a Man) directs off of a Kenya Barris (Black-ish, Girl's Trip) co-written script. My issues going into this movie was I wasn't a fan of the trailer's tone, though I did like the part
Spoiler (click to reveal)
with the three generations of Shafts slow walking.
I was afraid they would turn Shaft into a joke character to poke fun at masculinity, particularly heterosexual black masculinity. While there was some poking there, the film I think mostly got the spirit of Shaft right, though the tone was often too comedic. Perhaps wrapping this concept inside a comedy was the only way Story and Barris could get this made in 2019, but I don't know.

The new films retains the continuity-with some tweaking-of the 2000 John Singleton Shaft film. Samuel L. Jackson is back.
Richard Roundtree is also back.
The biggest change in the world of Shaft IMO is the introduction of Shaft's son, JJ (played by Jessie T. Usher). JJ works for the FBI and he teams up with his father to solve a mystery. Regina Hall plays Maya, JJ's mother, and Alexandra Shipp is Sasha, JJ's childhood friend who also is involved in the mystery. Shipp gets a bit more to say and to some extent to do than she did in Dark Phoenix
(though she doesn't get a big action scene like Storm's in that film).

There's not much to the plot at all. It didn't make much sense to me. But I didn't care. I thought Jackson's performance was the draw and he delivered. I liked his interactions with JJ and just about every character in the film. Shaft, the character and the film, was very unfiltered, and this film has tons of curse words and n-words. It also has some brief nudity and violence, though I didn't think the film was all that bloody. It is very much an R-rated action comedy.

I liked more about this film than I disliked. Including the soundtrack.
However, the original theme song was never fully played or mixed into a trap song at the end, and I wish we had gotten the full song roaring as the credits rolled.
If you liked any of the previous films (I've only seen the original Shaft and the Singleton one) then I recommend checking the new film out. I don't remember much about the original film, but the 2000 movie was more serious, intense, and I would even say at times searing. The new film takes a pretty light approach, though it does focus on the generational differences between the Baby Boomers and Millennials, which is where it gets a lot of its jokes from.

There were no end credit scenes.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:47:03 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 06:04:30 am »
Cast interviews. Beware spoilers:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:45:15 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 06:40:09 pm »
hopefully they'll do a follow up.  I'd give it a B.
I wanted Roundtree in the story from the beginning of the narrative.  Could have made for some more humorous interactions.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile