Author Topic: X-Men: Dark Phoenix  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2019, 12:10:03 pm »
I've heard before about Singer not being a comic book fan (though he is a Star Trek fan, and I think a Battlestar Galactica fan, go figure), but not about Kinberg. And while some X-Men fans were disappointed with the X-Men movies so far, few can deny the success of several of the films, and most of those had Singer's involvement. (And to my knowledge Singer wasn't involved with Last Stand, Dark Phoenix, or Wolverine Origins, which are considered by some three of the worst films in the franchise; he does have to own Apocalypse, which is also one of the most criticized entries; comparatively, he directed X-Men, X-Men 2-which was a massive success, and Days of Future Past-which was even bigger than success). I say that not to defend Singer as a person or even fully as a creative, though I give him his due that he did a very solid job taking material he might not have been familiar with, or was a fan of, and putting it in live-action. The first X-Men and I would add the second, helped power superheroes to Hollywood domination, along with Blade and the Spider-Man films. I don't think he ever got the potential for Storm, but the same can be said for the X-Men comics creators.

Not every director has to be a fan of the material they are adapting or putting on the screen, because sometimes non-fans like Nicholas Meyer with Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country can create great works.

Tim Burton wasn't a fan of the 'Batman' comicbook series either if I remember reading the printed reviews, at the time.  However, he was a fan of the 1960s television show.  Granted, he used some rudimentary portions of Batman's origin story from the comicbook but essentially, the bulk of the material was a 'very dark' version of the 1960s television show...   and it worked!

This is what singer was trying to do with 'X-Men' by not referencing any particular storyline in the 'X-Men' comicbook series. Looking back, it was mistake.

I must be honest, the 'X-Men' series in the movies wasn't very interesting to me;  I missed out on a lot of other theatrical releases because I don't know many of the characters on the big screen after the comicbook version of the Dark Phoenix saga concluded.   I'm familiar with most of the newer X-Men characters from the MARVEL versus Capcom video game series.
Liked some scenes in 'X-Men: First Class' but that ain't sayin' much.

Wanna know what really helped superhero movies dominate Hollywood...?   'Spider-Man'. 

Why? Because it matched box office numbers against 'Star Wars: Attack of the Clones', that's why.  That was unheard of.
No one puts their movie up against the like of 'Star Wars' but 'Spider-Man' did and succeeded!

Spider-Man had generations & generations & generations of fans since the 1960s which predates Star Wars by a single decade.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:12:55 pm by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2019, 11:19:35 am »
You have ever right not to like a film, or whatever, but to deny the role the first X-Men film, and Bryan Singer, played in where comic book films are today in Hollywood and the popular imagination isn't fair. I didn't like Bay's Transformers films or The Force Awakens, but they made money, they were very popular films. X-Men helped set the foundation for Raimi's Spider-Man. It showed Hollywood that you could do a convincing, and successful, big comic book adaptation. Certainly, the first X-Men film was toned down from what we get today from the MCU and DCEU, and that film even made fun of the traditional colorful X-Men uniforms, but that film was coming from a place where superhero films were not sure things and the mass audience hadn't shown much of an interest in seeing faithful (relatively speaking here) adaptations of comics material outside of Batman or Superman films.

I didn't agree with every decision made in the X-film franchise, though I don't accept the idea that the same franchise that produced X-Men, X-Men United, First Class, Days of Future Past, The Wolverine, Logan, both Deadpools, was built on a 'mistake'. (Personally I liked Apocalypse, and didn't hate Dark Phoenix, or Wolverine Origins; The Last Stand was disappointing but it wasn't a complete train wreck either). It's not your cup of tea, and that's fine, but Singer, etc. got a lot right in what they came up with.

The failure to successfully adapt the Dark Phoenix Saga does not mean that the entire franchise was a failure.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2019, 11:35:26 am »
You have ever right not to like a film, or whatever, but to deny the role the first X-Men film, and Bryan Singer, played in where comic book films are today in Hollywood and the popular imagination isn't fair. I didn't like Bay's Transformers films or The Force Awakens, but they made money, they were very popular films. X-Men helped set the foundation for Raimi's Spider-Man. It showed Hollywood that you could do a convincing, and successful, big comic book adaptation. Certainly, the first X-Men film was toned down from what we get today from the MCU and DCEU, and that film even made fun of the traditional colorful X-Men uniforms, but that film was coming from a place where superhero films were not sure things and the mass audience hadn't shown much of an interest in seeing faithful (relatively speaking here) adaptations of comics material outside of Batman or Superman films.

I didn't agree with every decision made in the X-film franchise, though I don't accept the idea that the same franchise that produced X-Men, X-Men United, First Class, Days of Future Past, The Wolverine, Logan, both Deadpools, was built on a 'mistake'. (Personally I liked Apocalypse, and didn't hate Dark Phoenix, or Wolverine Origins; The Last Stand was disappointing but it wasn't a complete train wreck either). It's not your cup of tea, and that's fine, but Singer, etc. got a lot right in what they came up with.

The failure to successfully adapt the Dark Phoenix Saga does not mean that the entire franchise was a failure.

Failure is not the issue here.

The X-Men projects are on hold indefinitely.

bryan singer intentionally sexually assaulting underage boys is another matter that must be dealt with.   

End of discussion.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2019, 04:09:00 pm »
Singer's personal history is not at issue here. You wanted to deny the role X-Men played in the comic book movie boom and I refuted that. You couldn't really counter that so you shifted to his personal issues, alleged crimes. Before you were talking about the films not being faithful enough to the comics stories, and there's merit there. Also, if these films just don't do it for you, that's fine as well. But overall this franchise was more successful than not. It's over now, and it went out on a bad note, but the fact that it made it almost 20 years is impressive.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:53:48 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2019, 04:00:38 pm »
"Told ya!"
Monday, 15th July 2019
Olivia Munn Got Frustrated With How little singer Knew About Her ‘X-Men’ Character
by Zack Sharf

Olivia Munn worked with bryan singer on 20th Century Fox’s 2016 superhero tentpole “X-Men: Apocalypse,” in which she starred as the villainous mutant Psylocke.

The movie was a bomb with film critics and fans, and apparently making the film wasn’t exactly pleasant for Munn.

During a recent video interview with GQ (via The Playlist), Munn said that it was frustrating working with singer and “Apocalypse” screenwriter Simon Kinberg because they knew next to nothing about her mutant character.

“When I was doing ‘X-Men,’ I was actually surprised that the director and the writer didn’t even know that Psylocke had a twin brother,” Munn said.

“And I had to talk to them about a lot of different things about Psylocke and some other parts of the world that they didn’t even know, and that, as a fan, was very frustrating.”

Munn isn’t the only “X-Men” cast member with gripes about working on “Apocalypse” with singer begin the director’s.

Speaking to Rolling Stone last year, Sophie Turner said her experience with singer was not a positive one.

While the Jean Grey actress did not get into specifics, she did say, “Our time together was unpleasant.”

Singer was accused of sexual misconduct by five men in a report published by The Atlantic in January 2019.

The allegations were the latest development in Singer’s timeline of being accused of sexual harassment and abuse.

Allegations against Singer date back to at least 1997, when the director was sued during the making of “Apt Pupil” for allegedly filming minors naked without permission.

Munn has been one of the most outspoken actresses when it comes to sexual harassment and abuse in Hollywood.

The actress was one of several women who accused Brett Ratner of sexual misconduct in a November 2017 report from the Los Angeles Times and in September 2018 she revealed she got a scene removed from “The Predator” after she discovered one of her co-stars was a registered sex offender.

Earlier this month, Munn made headlines for calling out Quentin Tarantino and Casey Affleck for “pushing past” their abuse allegations without “earning it.”

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/olivia-munn-got-frustrated-with-how-little-bryan-singer-knew-about-her-x-men-character/ar-AAEmHjh?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2019, 07:49:28 am »
curious.  Well.. I'm wondering was Captain Britain ever seriously on the table for a future film?  Somehow I doubt it.  But anyway.  I wish she had returned as Psylocke, heck why not?

From what I'm aware, in the comics Betsy has been returned to her Caucasian body after all this time (a related debate on an article I read concerned 'literal cultural appropriation').  So I don't know if she will be East Asian again. (comics-wise, anyway). If the British-Malaysian Henry Golding gets to become Captain Britain in the MCU and the two are paired up, look for more Internet breakage..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile