Author Topic: X-Men: Dark Phoenix  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2019, 02:40:18 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean when it comes to consistency with the other Marvel films. You are no doubt well-aware that the X-Men films are outside the MCU. And they are no more consistent than the films with Blade, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man (Maguire and Garfield), Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Punisher, or even Howard the Duck for that matter. Now, if you mean, consistency in terms of quality, that's an argument there. However, X-Men has had some pretty well-received/well-regarded films (Logan, Days of Future Past, X2: X-Men United, First Class, Deadpool I & II, and I would argue the first X-Men film). And the MCU owes a big debt to the original X-Men film.

The bolded text are the X-Men movies I missed upon theatrical release.  These movies are fun to watch on cable when nothing else is 'on the air' but I wouldn't go into a movie theatre to see them.  To be honest, I haven't even seen them on cable.  :-\

The 'Dark Phoenix' story should been the series finale when the first X-Men movie was in development, however, when a narcissistic child molester posing as a movie director who knows nothing of the comicbook series is assigned for the project, the golden opportunity is a total loss. 

The X-Men movies do not have the episodic quality fans of MARVEL have come to expect compared to The Avengers, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hulk and Captain Marvel which is ironic because The Uncanny X-Men was one of the more popular titles that lured kids into comicbooks back-in-th'-day, if memory serves.

Here.

You answered your own questions.     

However, it was a film that didn't need to be made, especially if Fox wasn't going to devote the time and money to get it right.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:20:42 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2019, 02:50:23 pm »
The movie was blah... No emotional impact whatsoever. The villains were like, huh, wha?.  I almost put the Last Stand ahead this movie.  They said, they had rewrites everyday---I can believe it.

I don't think they were any closer to the original story than Last Stand.

See?

Another satisfied customer!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2019, 06:52:17 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean when it comes to consistency with the other Marvel films. You are no doubt well-aware that the X-Men films are outside the MCU. And they are no more consistent than the films with Blade, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man (Maguire and Garfield), Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Punisher, or even Howard the Duck for that matter. Now, if you mean, consistency in terms of quality, that's an argument there. However, X-Men has had some pretty well-received/well-regarded films (Logan, Days of Future Past, X2: X-Men United, First Class, Deadpool I & II, and I would argue the first X-Men film). And the MCU owes a big debt to the original X-Men film.

The bolded text are the X-Men movies I missed upon theatrical release.  These movies are fun to watch on cable when nothing else is 'on the air' but I wouldn't go into a movie theatre to see them.  To be honest, I haven't even seen them on cable.  :-\

The 'Dark Phoenix' story should been the series finale when the first X-Men movie was in development, however, when a narcissistic child molester posing as a movie director who knows nothing of the comicbook series is assigned for the project, the golden opportunity is a total loss. 

The X-Men movies do not have the episodic quality fans of MARVEL have come to expect compared to The Avengers, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hulk and Captain Marvel which is ironic because The Uncanny X-Men was one of the more popular titles that lured kids into comicbooks back-in-th'-day, if memory serves.

Here.

You answered your own questions.     

However, it was a film that didn't need to be made, especially if Fox wasn't going to devote the time and money to get it right.

The X-Men franchise predates the MCU, so I don't think it should be expected that it would have similar storytelling. And within the original films at least, there were some story/character arcs, and I could throw in the Wolverine films into that mix as well. It got dicey when it came to the reboot films.

The MCU benefited from being planned out, or seeming too, whereas the X-Men films have been more thrown together, but that's not much different than other franchises. It's the MCU that's the innovation, and not the norm. The X-Men franchise, for all its pitfalls, did last 19 years, and produced some of the best comic book cinema thus far, and has earned a place when it comes to comic book movies. Before the MCU, X-Men and Spider-Man (and I'm throwing Blade in there as well) were some of the best examples of comic book franchises, but all three weren't that planned out. It seemed more piecemeal, like they were going from movie to movie to flesh things out. Though there were character arcs also in the Spider-Man series, less in the Blade movies.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 02:43:39 pm »
http://screenrant.com/xmen-movies-fox-planned-cancelled-disney/

Someone over at Disney is on their A game.

This decision was necessary.  I highly appreciate it & agree.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 07:24:29 pm »
Saw it once and thought it was terrible- worse than The Last Stand and Kinsburg should pay Fox because he should never direct another film.  He has no understanding of The Dark Phoenix saga or any true love for XMen as a whole.

Everything was emotionally flat with mediocre acting and death scenes that had no impact and horrible continuity from previous movie where Phoenix force popped up but Kinsburg forgot or simply didnít care.  Trash.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2019, 07:28:30 am »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men/x-men_apocalypse/x-men-apocalypse-star-oliva-munn-reveals-just-how-little-bryan-singer-and-simon-kinberg-know-about-the-comics-a169421

From the article:

It's no secret that Bryan Singer banned the cast of X-Men from reading comics on the movie's set, but Olivia Munn has now revealed just how clueless he and Simon Kinberg are about the source material.

---------------------

Told you!
I didn't read the entire article, however, just needed this sentence to confirm what I already knew.  At the time when the first X-Men movie came out, fans of the comicbook were extremely excited (and desperate) to see a live-action version of their favorite superheroes on the silver screen.  No one cared about the movie director, at all.

In hindsight, the movie was nothing but potential as it performs like a lone story rather than the episodic series it was meant to be.  Everyone who read 'Uncanny X-Men' on the newsstands & spinner racks, hung onto that Dark Phoenix saga every single month Summer of 1979 to its final conclusion.   

Fans get none of that w/these lackluster X-Men movies & it all started with singer.

If people who know singer today feel that he's a narcissistic arrogant jackass, he was far worse back-in-th'-day!  :-[ 
I attended the same private school at the same time he did back in the 1980s, and he was a complete hump whenever I encountered him.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 09:31:42 am by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2019, 11:01:38 am »
I've heard before about Singer not being a comic book fan (though he is a Star Trek fan, and I think a Battlestar Galactica fan, go figure), but not about Kinberg. And while some X-Men fans were disappointed with the X-Men movies so far, few can deny the success of several of the films, and most of those had Singer's involvement. (And to my knowledge Singer wasn't involved with Last Stand, Dark Phoenix, or Wolverine Origins, which are considered by some three of the worst films in the franchise; he does have to own Apocalypse, which is also one of the most criticized entries; comparatively, he directed X-Men, X-Men 2-which was a massive success, and Days of Future Past-which was even bigger than success). I say that not to defend Singer as a person or even fully as a creative, though I give him his due that he did a very solid job taking material he might not have been familiar with, or was a fan of, and putting it in live-action. The first X-Men and I would add the second, helped power superheroes to Hollywood domination, along with Blade and the Spider-Man films. I don't think he ever got the potential for Storm, but the same can be said for the X-Men comics creators.

Not every director has to be a fan of the material they are adapting or putting on the screen, because sometimes non-fans like Nicholas Meyer with Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country can create great works.

Dark Phoenix failed not because Kinberg wasn't a X-Men comic reader. It felt because of his crazy determination, perhaps driven by ego, to correct the mistakes of The Last Stand, but also there were other factors, like many of the articles I've put in this thread, that explain why the movie didn't grab audiences. I still don't think it's as bad as consensus opinion says, though it was an unnecessary film and I wish they the franchise had gone out on a stronger note.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 11:09:58 am by Emperorjones »