Author Topic: The Reaping (Vague Spoiler References)  (Read 1218 times)

michaelintp

The Reaping (Vague Spoiler References)
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:10:17 pm »
One word:  Stupid.   :P

Hillary Swank is often good, but this role is just so dumb.  Swank's character is flat.

About 20 minutes into the movie I was speculating about the "surprise" ending ... and sure enough it was just what I thought.   

Why Swank's adversaries would act as they did is a bit of a puzzle.  Maybe out on overwhelming drive for self-preservation, but their goal (to stop Satan) doesn't fit in with what they've been working for (and for whom) all these generations.  Other than that I guess it kinda fits together ... but at the end of the day, I really didn't care.  About any of the characters or the outcome.

The film is set up for a sequel, but I can't imagine that happening.  But I've been surprised before.  That's all about $$$.

I was disappointed that it didn't deal with the Evangelical Christian vision of the End of Days (see the Left Behind series, which revealed that perspective) but rather with some goofy "prophetic tradition" made up by some contemporary writer that supposedly predates those End Day events.  Which was just silly.

If you have nothing to do on a Saturday night ... stay home and read a comic book.

'Nuf said.