Author Topic: Posse  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
Posse
« on: February 15, 2007, 06:11:42 pm »
I recently found this DVD and bought it. Though I have watched it several times, It didn't occur to me that I saw a particular face, until I watched it again tonight. Trying to confirm my suspicions, I actually watched the credits and loly behold, Reggie Hudlin's name appeared.

Mr. Hudlin, what particular role, if any, did you play in the making of this film? I was interested in knowing, cause after I made the connection, I practically jumped out my seat.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Posse
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 12:40:47 pm »
My brother and I did a cameo at the end.  MVP asked me. 

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 01:11:31 pm »
I remember see Posse years ago...the most memorable thing for me was Salli Richardson!  Woooooooooo! ;D

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 02:03:17 pm »
I saw this movie in the theater and really enjoyed it.  Especially being an 11 year old kid, pre-internet...saw some good stuff  ;)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 09:02:19 am »
I've always felt that African-Americans in the wild, wild west should've been explored further as a genre in movies. After all, blacks were the original  cowboys until (like Jazz music) it was deemed 'cool' to be a cowboy by mainstream American culture.  As far as Posse goes, it was interesting milestone. For me, I had a problem with the editing.  I also had a problem with Big Daddy Kane playing the Father Time character, as he was underscored and was killed off gratuiously.

Offline Rasmane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:21:53 pm »
I saw this movie in the theater and really enjoyed it.  Especially being an 11 year old kid, pre-internet...saw some good stuff  ;)

Jesus weeps over what that horny little dude would have seen had Mario Van Peebles not slowed the love scene down to get an "R"... :'(

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 07:46:09 am »
Jesus weeps over what that horny little dude would have seen had Mario Van Peebles not slowed the love scene down to get an "R"---[b]Rasmane[/b]

Why?
Were there any raunchy deleted scenes that we missed?

Posse characters needed to be more badass... like this!!

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:24:53 am »
Jesus weeps over what that horny little dude would have seen had Mario Van Peebles not slowed the love scene down to get an "R"---[b]Rasmane[/b]

Why?

And if so, where the hell can I find it  ;D

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 03:21:08 pm »
I will have to check this movie out. Saw it once in college at the movies on a date. Was real good. I would love to watch a directors cut with commentary. The one for Boomerang is interesting a lot of intereesting facts.

Offline Rasmane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 04:35:50 pm »

IIRC, it's as simple as I didn't put it earlier. ;D Van Peebles had to slowwwww dowwwwn the scene (as shown theatrically--I haven't seen the DVD) to get an R instead of the death-knell NC-17. (Not so much for Sally Richardson's jiggle factor, but his own.)

Posse characters needed to be more badass...

Waitin' for The Wild Bunch to be re-made with Black actors, eh?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:40:10 pm by Rasmane »

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 12:05:43 pm »
Posse was the movie that piqued my interest in the Wild West genre. It was my first time seeing black cowboys onscreen. Years later, I would be introduced to another movie featuring black cowboys called Take A Long Ride with Fred Williamson, Jim Brown and Jim Kelley. It was Three The Hard Way Wild West Style.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 02:06:28 pm »
There have been black westerns since the advent of blacks on film. There are many old black and white films that were produced. Anybody heard of Herbert Jefferies, "the Bronze Buckaroo"?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 08:33:53 am »
Thanks for the recommendation, fellas. I'll look those titles up, someday. Speaking of Kane in Posse...

Check out this performance he did in 2002, where he was so smoooth that he stumbled his performance AND STILL LOOKED COOL. ;D

If the link doesn't work just type in the search field:

Big Daddy Kane
look for:
big daddy kane drops mic!