Author Topic: ALIENS: RESISTANCE  (Read 584 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
ALIENS: RESISTANCE
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:59:35 pm »
Dark Horse presents “Aliens: Resistance”

Aliens: Resistance follows the events of the popular video game Aliens: Isolation which starred Ellen Ripley’s daughter Amanda Ripley fifteen years after the events of the original film as she fought for survival against the monstrous xenomorph aboard a remote space station while attempting to uncover the hidden secrets of her mother’s disappearance from the insidious Weyland-Yutani Corporation.

Now, in Aliens: Resistance, Ripley is kept silent by Weyland-Yutani now that the xenomorph threat has been brought to light. But when Zula Hendricks, the Ex-Colonial Marine from Aliens: Defiance, arrives in need of Ripley’s help to expose a sinister bio-weapons program, the duo teams up to lead a resistance against an upgraded arsenal designed to keep the darkest atrocities secret!

With an intense script by Brian Wood (Aliens: Defiance, Sword Daughter), cinematic art by Robert Carey (Power Rangers, Transformers), dynamic colors by Dan Jackson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Call of Duty: Zombies), letters by Nate Piekos (Stranger Things, Black Hammer) covers by Roberto De La Torre (The Invincible Iron Man, Ms. Marvel), and featuring the return of Aliens: Defiance alum Tristan Jones on variant covers, Aliens: Resistance is the action-packed blockbuster comics series not to be missed!

Aliens: Resistance #1 (of four) goes on sale January 23, 2019, and is available for pre-order at your local comic shop.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.alienuniverse.com/post/news-aliens-resistance-cover-art

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: ALIENS: RESISTANCE
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:16 am »
Thanks for posting. I've read Aliens: Defiance. It's a 12-issue maxiseries that I do recommend for fans of Aliens. Zula Hendricks was a pretty cool lead. I'll probably pick up Resistance when it's a trade.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:41:56 am »
Thanks for posting. I've read Aliens: Defiance. It's a 12-issue maxiseries that I do recommend for fans of Aliens. Zula Hendricks was a pretty cool lead. I'll probably pick up Resistance when it's a trade.

Interesting... didn't know about Aliens: Defiance.  I'm trying to catch up to all these releases.

Do you play video games?

If so, try not to miss out on the current timeline in the Alien universe with Aliens: Infestation* & Alien: Isolation and the next title, Alien: Blackout.

I didn't get a chance to see Alien: Covenant yet, however, the movie follows closely in the timeline, too.

*that little animated clip of the creature attacking a Colonial Marine in my previous post.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:59:53 am by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 09:48:11 am »
I don't play any video games. I've seen cutscenes for Alien: Isolation and it looked great and I consider it canon. I think it is canon, though 21st Century FOX is slippery when it comes to the canon for Alien IMO. Thanks for the recommendations though. If I was playing video games I would more than likely be playing these games or giving them a chance at least.

I've read some of the Alien and also the Prometheus and Predator comics over the last few years. You might also like the big series Fire & Stone that connected Aliens, Predator, and Prometheus. I thought it was just okay, though if I reread it as one whole story I might like it better. Currently, there's a comic adaptation of the original script for Alien 3, and I plan on buying that when it comes out in a trade. I bought it the first issue and thought it was interesting.

There's also a lot of Alien novels out there. A couple years back, they said there would be 'canon' novels. I read three: Out of the Shadows, Sea of Sorrows, River of Pain. Shadows features Ripley and takes place between Alien and Aliens so for Alien fans that might be the book to go to, though I liked the others as well. Sea of Sorrows took place after Alien: Resurrection. And River of Pain was a prequel to Aliens, so that's one that also I think Alien/Aliens fans might be more into. I liked all three books though.

As for Alien: Covenant, I liked it more than Prometheus. It fit more with the other Alien films than Prometheus did, however, it wasn't a great film. It could've been better. The characters were better than in Prometheus but still needed work.

Prometheus wasn't a horrible film, though I do wish the studio had let Scott make the film he wanted to do, which I'm not sure was even going to be an Alien film, or one with looser ties to Aliens. I recall him, or someone attached to it, calling it a 'sidequel' and downplaying the Alien connection. And I felt that downplaying was even in the finished film, with the 'Deacon' xenomorph only showing up at the end. I also see that reluctance in how Scott approached Covenant. I think he's moved on from the xenomorph's but the studio and the fans want more Alien films so he has tried, and not succeeded that well, with fitting the stories he wants to tell now inside the Alien franchise.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:42:56 pm »
Prometheus wasn't a horrible film, though I do wish the studio had let Scott make the film he wanted to do, which I'm not sure was even going to be an Alien film, or one with looser ties to Aliens.

'Prometheus' wasn't a bad film, by any means.  I believe the storytelling was very good.  It's a very bright & beautiful looking movie full of mystery, intrigue and anticipation. The original 'Alien' was dark, creepy and claustrophobic leaving viewers with far more questions than answers.  'Prometheus' attempts to answer those questions for long awaited fans of the original 'Alien'.

I'm glad that Ridley Scott was involved with it and strongly suggests that this is the story he wanted to tell.  What 'Prometheus' did was rearrange all of the roles found in 'Alien' and simply retold the story...
---only this time, we get to see the one man (and his daughter) behind the corporation who set up the deep space mining operation in orbit of this mysterious planet.

We also get to see recorded footage that explains what happened to the ancient relics the crew members of the Nostromo discovered (or should I say, about to discover. This story is a prequel, after all)  on the planet's surface before stumbling upon & getting infested by an alien creature.

What is consistent in all of the 'Alien' movies is Ellen Ripley's character arc, the distrust humans feel about themselves and the androids.  Just like the humans, some androids in subsequent films were heroic and helpful. Others were not.

Ash was truly evil in the original movie.  So was the android in 'Prometheus'.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:12:51 am by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 01:47:08 am »
Prometheus's story felt constrained to me, that the most Alien thing, "The Deacon" was tacked on at the end, to remind people that yes this was an Alien franchise film. I was looking up the history of the film and it was intended to be an Alien film all along-I hadn't thought it was-but yet it felt more like Scott had only wanted very little clear connections to the xenomorphs (he pooh poohs the xenomorphs in this interview from MTV below). I wish we (the audience) hadn't known it was an Alien prequel until we saw it, but that wouldn't work for the studio who wanted to get Alien fans excited and in the theaters. I feel Prometheus and Covenant were constrained by having to be more closely connected to the Alien franchise, instead of being able to tell the story of the Engineers and mankind's search for them.

As for Prometheus itself, a gorgeous looking film, with a strong cast. However the characters, character development, and writing all left a lot to be desired. There was no need to hide Old Man Weyland aboard. He could've been leading the group from jump (Guy Pearce was good, but Max Von Sydow, Christopher Plummer, or Donald Sutherland could've killed in that role). Also, I felt for a group of scientists, many made too many dumb decisions. Most Alien films feature people who are essentially space truckers, prisoners, pirates, or a mix of colonists, with Prometheus being the only one to have such brainpower among their crew and that necessitated a smarter written story than we got. Charlize Theron was wasted, Idris Elba was criminally wasted (and he had a horrible "Southern" accent to boot). I did like Noomi Rapace though. Overall, while a great looking film, it was a missed opportunity. Covenant got the Alien franchise feel better, and had slightly better characters, but it had its own problems.

You bring up a good point about the role of androids in this franchise. I think this theme is what Scott wanted to continue, even more than dealing with the xenomorphs. I can't say that Ripley's character arc is consistent in every Alien film because she's not in every Alien film. She was in the first three, her clone was in the fourth one, and then she wasn't in the prequel films. That being said, both prequels have female leads, no doubt a nod to her, and for Covenant, the lead character favors Ripley. I wish they had saved that actress to play Ripley's daughter. Now that I think about it, perhaps Prometheus and Covenant might have been better if they had made them about Ripley's daughter. The human thing was missing a lot from Prometheus. The characters were mostly cold, unlikable. David was likable and sympathetic at first, but turned into a monster, and that left Shaw as the only likable character and I can't say she was a character I warmed up too all that much.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2811792/is-prometheus-an-alien-prequel/

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/upcoming/previews/alien-prequel.html

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Prometheus_(film)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:55:18 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:14:10 am »
Prometheus's story felt constrained to me, that the most Alien thing, "The Deacon" was tacked on at the end, to remind people that yes this was an Alien franchise film. I was looking up the history of the film and it was intended to be an Alien film all along-I hadn't thought it was-but yet it felt more like Scott had only wanted very little clear connections to the xenomorphs (he pooh poohs the xenomorphs in this interview from MTV below). I wish we (the audience) hadn't known it was an Alien prequel until we saw it, but that wouldn't work for the studio who wanted to get Alien fans excited and in the theaters. I feel Prometheus and Covenant were constrained by having to be more closely connected to the Alien franchise, instead of being able to tell the story of the Engineers and mankind's search for them.

As for Prometheus itself, a gorgeous looking film, with a strong cast. However the characters, character development, and writing all left a lot to be desired. There was no need to hide Old Man Weyland aboard. He could've been leading the group from jump (Guy Pearce was good, but Max Von Sydow, Christopher Plummer, or Donald Sutherland could've killed in that role). Also, I felt for a group of scientists, many made too many dumb decisions. Most Alien films feature people who are essentially space truckers, prisoners, pirates, or a mix of colonists, with Prometheus being the only one to have such brainpower among their crew and that necessitated a smarter written story than we got. Charlize Theron was wasted, Idris Elba was criminally wasted (and he had a horrible "Southern" accent to boot). I did like Noomi Rapace though. Overall, while a great looking film, it was a missed opportunity. Covenant got the Alien franchise feel better, and had slightly better characters, but it had its own problems.

You bring up a good point about the role of androids in this franchise. I think this theme is what Scott wanted to continue, even more than dealing with the xenomorphs. I can't say that Ripley's character arc is consistent in every Alien film because she's not in every Alien film. She was in the first three, her clone was in the fourth one, and then she wasn't in the prequel films. That being said, both prequels have female leads, no doubt a nod to her, and for Covenant, the lead character favors Ripley. I wish they had saved that actress to play Ripley's daughter. Now that I think about it, perhaps Prometheus and Covenant might have been better if they had made them about Ripley's daughter. The human thing was missing a lot from Prometheus. The characters were mostly cold, unlikable. David was likable and sympathetic at first, but turned into a monster, and that left Shaw as the only likable character and I can't say she was a character I warmed up too all that much.

'Prometheus' explains everything seen in the original 'Alien'; the movie explains how & why that bow-shaped Alien ship crashed landed while launching towards Earth when the crew sacrificed themselves by collision. The movie explained as much as there was left behind in the original movie. I didn't have any further questions.

Noomi Rapace was the Ellen Ripley character (remember, we're talking roles here) & she was great.   

Curious that you consider Ellen Ripley's clone version... unreal. ???  I can assure you that Ripley's clone in 'Alien III' was just as 'real' as all the other versions.
In storytelling, anything material can be a character.  Even inanimate objects.   

Haven't seen 'Alien: Covenant' yet, so I can't offer anything on the story. I can tell you this without even seeing the movie: not one of the 'Alien' movies & its prequel are bad stories in the Alien universe. None of them.
It's clear that 20th Century Fox now understands this because the fans have expressed a high degree of interest in the series especially with this new lead, Ellen Ripley's daughter, Amanda.

It's too bad that you haven't played 'Alien: Isolation' because you're missing out on a part of the Alien Universe that helps reinforce her importance in the series and brings back the look & feel of the havoc that creature caused the crew onboard the Nostromo in the original movie.  The abandoned Sevastopol space depot in 'Alien: Isolation' is something you've got to experience, especially the medical facility or the android factory. ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:42:52 am by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 05:35:33 pm »
Shaw was the protagonist in Prometheus, like Ripley was in various Alien films, but they are not the same, which is what I took what you wrote to mean. Shaw is an accomplished scientist while Ripley is more blue collar. I also consider the Ripley clone not the real Ripley. That doesn't mean the clone isn't a character, or the protagonist of the film, but she's not the same Ellen Ripley from the first three Alien films, despite sharing the same DNA, or some of the same DNA. It's like saying Shinzon is the same character as Picard in Star Trek: Nemesis.

I think quite a few fans would argue with you about the quality of all but Alien and Aliens when it comes to the Alien franchise (and that's not even getting to the Alien vs. Predator films). But if you like them all, nothing wrong with that. For the most part I like them all, though some I think could have been better. I remember definitely not liking Alien 3 when I first saw it, but it grew on me over time. Resurrection, I liked that one from jump, though it seemed to be reviled by many. Prometheus left me frustrated because it had so much good in it, but just didn't mesh well together all the way through. And Covenant was a decent attempt to get back to classic Alien, but fell short. I actually liked the AVP films. I didn't like AVP I at first, but last year I watched the Unrated Version and it was better, and I never had a problem with Requiem's story. I do feel Requiem's lighting was way too dark though and it made it hard to follow a lot of the action.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 12:33:55 pm »
Shaw was the protagonist in Prometheus, like Ripley was in various Alien films, but they are not the same, which is what I took what you wrote to mean. Shaw is an accomplished scientist while Ripley is more blue collar. I also consider the Ripley clone not the real Ripley. That doesn't mean the clone isn't a character, or the protagonist of the film, but she's not the same Ellen Ripley from the first three Alien films, despite sharing the same DNA, or some of the same DNA. It's like saying Shinzon is the same character as Picard in Star Trek: Nemesis.

Alright, I'm back from taking a break re-playing 'Alien: Isolation'...

Again, I'm talking about roles.

In Star Trek: Nemesis, Picard and Shinzon are one and the same; that's the entire conflict in the movie, remember?
Picard & Shinzon are also both in leadership roles.
In previous Star Trek Generation movies, Picard has expressed desire & regret not having a blood relative family.

In 'Nemesis', Picard discovers that he does have a blood relative, he just happens to be a clone. With exception that this relative wants to destroy him thus the reason for the episode, 'Nemesis', which is someone designated to remove you from existence.

Getting back to Ripley, in Alien III, she may be a clone but she's still human.

The cloning issue seems to be a very sensitive subject matter in cinematic movies because of the human rights issue. To get an idea of what I'm getting at, highly recommend taking a look at, 'Womb' starring one of my favorite foreign actresses, Eva Green. Saw this one many, many years ago and this story finally approaches that touchy subject matter in cloning that you brought up.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:46:25 pm by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 07:32:59 pm »
Picard and Shinzon are genetically the same, but different people. The issue of nature vs. nurture. Shinzon is a dark reflection of Picard, and though they share the same DNA they are not the same in terms of Picard had a different life, made different choices, and that resulted in him being a different man. Shinzon's life was far more tragic and he was far more broken as a result. Nemesis was less successful at doing something similar with Data and B4.

The issue of Ripley's humanity is not in question here. It's just that Ripley in the first three films is a different person than the Ripley in Resurrection. They are not even as genetically close as Shinzon and Picard, since they spliced the alien DNA in the Ripley clone.

Never heard of Womb. Thank you for the recommendation. I do like Eva Green.