Author Topic: CW's Batwoman  (Read 17077 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:19:01 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: CW's Batwoman
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2019, 07:30:00 am »
I watched the first episode. It wasn't a great beginning, but better than I thought it would be, judging by the teasers and trailers. Ruby Rose was better in the role than I thought. From last year's crossover that introduced her, I knew she looked good in the suit and was good at the physical acting part, which I think she is in the pilot as well. My concern was her dramatic acting, and I thought she did well-enough in the pilot. She wasn't as wooden as I thought she would be.

Dougray Scott, as Kate Kane's dad, was the best actor in the cast, so far, but he wasn't given much to do. This is Kate Kane's story after all. And for an origin I thought it did what it needed to do, especially for a CW Arrowverse show.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Kate has a stepfamily here (didn't think they were from the comics, but the stepmother is) and I liked the twist with the airhead stepsister actually being a doctor committed to helping the less fortunate. Perhaps she will become the Leslie Thompkins-like character on the show.

The things I didn't care for was
the depiction of Luke Fox. They turned him into a bumbling Curtis Holt clone who had no testerone and was manhandled by Kate Kane too easily, especially for someone who was supposed to be "Wayne Security". It was devaluation of his character from the comics, who is a good fighter and a superhero in his own right. It was like they merged Lucius and Luke together, but cast someone who resembled and acted like Echo Kellum. Luke's scenes were grating for me. Instead of Luke, I wish they had gone with Julia Pennyworth. I think she could fit the sidekick/assistant role well, while mirroring Bruce and Alfred better. In the comics, Julia is no pushover and perhaps she wouldn't have been as easy to beat as Luke was.
This being the CW, they had to push the interracial relationship angle, but there was a wrinkle here with Kate being in love with a black woman who is still in the closet, and married now at that. They changed the New 52 story of Kate being kicked out of the military over "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" to her choosing to leave a military academy that had an anti-gay policy, whereas her lover chose to stay. So I think that creates some dramatic/relationship tension there which isn't that bad for a set-up. This is something they can build on and tease throughout the first season or series. Though I think by making the black woman married I can't see them having Kate break up a marriage, even one based on a lie.

I also wasn't the biggest fan of the big bad, Alice. In the comics, she comes across way more creepier whereas for this show she's like a Joker/Harley clone.
I also felt the show spent too much time bashing Batman for leaving Gotham behind, but by the end of the episode, I was glad that Kate and Bruce had a positive relationship and Kate had come around a bit on Batman. And there was a reason why Kate personally felt Batman had let her down so I could get that. I'm not a fan of the idea of Batman 'leaving' Gotham. Certainly he has quit before, in The Dark Knight Returns, and also in The Dark Knight Rises, but I would rather they said that Batman was simply missing. It also didn't make much sense to me why Wayne Enterprises would fall into disarray without Bruce. Seems like the board would've gone on without him or someone else would've brought the company. I think they should've used Wayne Manor instead of Wayne Enterprises to be where the Batcave was.

I'm iffy on the Batsuit for Batman. I thought the cowl looked too rounded and made for a woman instead of a man. However, the altered suit looks good on Rose.
I did have a quibble about how easily Kate took on the skills of Batman, but that being said, the show did explain how she can do some of what she does, and the reasons why, so that was good. And the pilot moved so quickly there wasn't time for a training montage of her getting used to the suit. And to be fair, we don't get a lot of that with Bruce in any movies or shows I can think of either. I also didn't care for the look of Wayne Enterprises or the Batcave.

Some questions after the first episode were
what happened to all of Batman's villains? I don't know how many this show will be allowed to use, but it would've been nice to get some name drops of some of the comics' crime bosses. I've seen Hush will be on the show, but with Batman's bench being so deep, there's tons of villains they could have on this show without touching Batman's biggest names. I don't know much about Batwoman's rogues' gallery outside of Alice and the Weeping Woman and the Religion of Crime.

I don't think I would watch this show on a weekly basis, but I thought it was a decent starter, especially if you take things with grains of salt.

Some villains I think would work well on this show are:

Jane Doe, Great White, Dr. Psycho (a Wonder Woman villain who hates women), Veronica Cale (Wonder Woman's Lex), Rupert Thorne, Roland Daggett, Falcone, Zucco, Maroni families, Grotesque (Batgirl villain), The Mirror (another Batgirl villain), Karma (created by Bryan Hill for his recent Detective Comics run), Lady Vic, Bedbug, Firefly, Killer Moth, Merrymaker, Dollmaker, Professor Pyg, the Mutants, David Cain, Court of Owls, Dr. Hurt, Black Glove, False Face, Catman, Wrath, the Terrible Trio, etc., etc.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:32:29 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 06:49:42 am »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2019, 03:40:27 pm »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2019, 09:58:17 am »
Yeah, Ruby fits the role perfectly. To me, she did a great job.

it's a slow burn for me. It's not at the top of my viewing schedule, but I am definitely watching it. Unfortunately, i've stopped watching Supergirl.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2019, 11:50:52 am »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile