Author Topic: CW's Batwoman  (Read 9836 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: CW's Batwoman
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2020, 05:58:18 pm »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2020, 11:31:51 am »
New Batwoman season 2 trailer reveals the Batmobile, grieving Bat-team

http://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/batwoman-season-2-trailer-reveals-185418375.html

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2021, 09:07:53 am »
Javicia Leslie left government for Hollywood. Now she's the first Black Batwoman

http://www.yahoo.com/news/javicia-leslie-left-government-hollywood-140043805.html

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:39:03 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2021, 05:39:26 am »
I thought this was a decent introduction for Ryan Wilder's Batwoman. They established her origin story pretty quickly, gave her a simple, easy motivation, and she was in the Batsuit in under 15 minutes of the show. Leslie is easy on the eyes and her Wilder is a relatable, likeable enough character. I also like that she has more respect for the suit and the mantle than they mistakenly didn't do with Kate Kane regarding Batman's suit and legacy.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I really liked the scene where Wilder, speaking on double levels, says she knows she's not a name, not a legacy, I thought that was some neat writing and a wink to the audience that I imagine is very self-aware that Wilder is a brand new character, with no comics history.

She even got a "I'm a black woman" speech, which wasn't grating, and worked to illuminate her backstory. I was very leery about this character when I read about her on paper. I thought they were delving too deeply into stereotypes, but in live action I think she's okay, for now. I recall them saying she would be a drug runner, but in the first episode, she establishes she was framed.
I was also okay with making her homeless-in light of how homelessness is an epidemic in our community. She mentioned the mortality rate of black women in childbirth-and when/where do you hear that on a television program, much less a superhero one? So I saw these things helped to define and differentiate her from Kate Kane. There's another scene where she's reading about Kate's life and comparing it to her own, but I liked how at the end of it, she gained a respect for Kane the more she learned about her. She develops a reverence for Kate as well, and as long as that's tempered, I'll be okay with that.

The first episode does give Wilder a tie to
Alice
, in typical comic book fashion, but it's simple and it works.
I've always like the Hush storyline, from the comics, where Hush impersonates Bruce Wayne, and they adapt it for this series, and just like the comics, they really don't milk it for all it's worth. The episode neatly, if too quickly IMO, ties up what I suppose where major storylines from season 1 like Jacob Kane learning that Kate was Batwoman.
This episode is quickly putting Rose's time in the cowl in the rearview, but in a way, that allows what she did to still loom large, to have consequences.

I'm iffy on Alice. I think she comes across as too much of a low-rent Joker, with a Harley Quinn makeover, than the creepy horror-like figure from the comics (the ones I read). But as the episode went on, she grew on me a little.
I was fine with the other supporting cast too, which I think played up the grief of Kate Kane's disappearance and seeming death well enough, definitely for The CW.

Still not a fan of nerdy, Curtis Holt-like Luke Fox. He wasn't fumbling in this episode, but still, he's too soft. I wish they had used another character and saved Luke Fox (so he could be Batwing) for something else.

There were some things that didn't make sense, like Wilder jumping into action, with the suit, without testing it out first. Though given her backstory I can forgive that. Even the cringe-inducing "Boo" she did upside down, Spidey style, worked better in context.

In addition to being suspicious about Wilder's backstory, I wasn't the biggest fan of them not making her a known DC character. Luke' has sisters, and Leslie could've easily played one of them. Further, they could've race bent Harper Row or Stephanie Brown as well. But seeing the first episode, I get it more now that they wanted to create a character that is not privileged, that doesn't have the name, or a name, and that they can depict a different side perhaps to Gotham.

I don't see this as a show I'm going to be looking at every week, but I might look at it from time to time.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:47:52 am by Emperorjones »