Author Topic: The Suicide Squad (Suicide Squad 2)  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Squad 2
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2021, 02:48:46 pm »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 05:55:59 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 02:30:05 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Suicide Squad (Suicide Squad 2)
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 06:31:54 pm »
Just finished this on HBO Max. The Suicide Squad is better than the first Squad film, though I liked the first movie's soundtrack a lot more. The humor was hit or miss, and I might have liked the first one's comedy better too overall. But in terms of a well-made film that told a competent story this is a lot better than the first movie, which suffered from having no middle section.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I wasn't sure what to make of the new movie's lineup of characters but Gunn and the actors handled them well. Bloodsport, Ratcatcher, Peacemaker, King Shark, and Polka Dot Man (of all people) were standouts.  Arguably, Bloodsport was the main character. He's the one that had the biggest character arc. When I had first heard about him having a daughter in trouble I thought this was going to be too much like Deadshot and his daughter, in terms of both being black men who are good with weapons and have daughters they are trying to look out for, but the film did a good job right off making Bloodsport different than Deadshot in terms of how he parents. I also wasn't impressed with King Shark in the trailer I saw (I like the version on  The Flash and also in the Harley Quinn cartoon), but he was alright in the movie.

The film also gave some screen time to Harley (who had the best hand-to-hand fight scene), and Rick Flagg. I was surprised that they killed off Captain Boomerang and so quickly. Gunn lightened up Waller just a tad, without sacrificing all of her cold ruthlessness (that said I would've liked to see her get some payback after she got knocked out with a golf club; instead Gunn used that scene to set up his Peacemaker series, and I didn't feel that was sufficient enough payback from a character as hard ass as Waller).

Gunn gave the film the right tone and story, and it felt more like the kind of mission the Suicide Squad should be doing than in the first film, even though Starro was way out of their league. The neat twist to me was that Starro wasn't really much of a main villain, it was more beatable people and that was good.

I hope the film does well and we get another one.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
As much as I liked Will Smith as Deadshot I wouldn't mind seeing Bloodsport and this version of the Suicide Squad in another movie.